Drink only water!! All other drinks are evil!!

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I drink mostly water, but will have a coffee in the morning, milk sometimes, and diet coke occasionally. But out of all my liquid consumption, I'd say that ~80% is straight water.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    3 cups of black coffee per day... about 3 bottles of water
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I mainly drink nothing but water day to day. On occasion, I will have one coffee and I only have alcohol on holidays. It's not because I don't like anything else, it's just habit now I guess. It's the only thing I reach for. But it's ridiculous to think that you HAVE to drink nothing but water to be healthy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I drink straight water when I work out. For beating that kind of thirst, water is king in my book. Plus, the drinking fountains on my running route and in my gym refuse to dispense anything else. Stingy *kitten*.

Otherwise, I drink tea, coffee drinks, diet sodas and the occasional hard liquor or cocktail.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I drink about 50% plain water and 50% other stuff. I almost never drink my calories, though, so that means I'm not drinking sugary beverages. Mostly tea or fruit flavored stevia sweetened drinks, etc. Hasn't killed me yet...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4L of tap water a day, not as an intentional thing but I just get thirsty (I run almost daily and eat a pretty high-sodium diet...there's nothing up medically.)

But I definitely also have coffee or tea (black) and the occasional Coke Zero or Perrier. I don't like to drink calories so that's about it other than a scotch or glass of wine every couple weeks or so.

I don't judge people who add stuff to their water or drink other stuff as long as they're not forgetting to count it and then wondering why they aren't losing weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I was at an NHS training session on encouraging physical exercise last week and the old drink water only thing came up. Apparently, your body's cells recognise water as water and will re-hydrate on it whereas coffee, tea, beer etc doesn't count and will contribute to water retention.
    - I know, I know - who knew eh?!
    - and that's the NHS (National Health Service, UK)

Sounds like the NHS could use some education themselves. Coffee, tea, sodas, etc. are MADE with water and it's ridiculous to say that your body won't recognize it as water just because it's been strained through some ground beans or leaves, or had flavoring added to it. That's absolutely silly and completely false.

If you'd like to see some actual science about hydration, read the first post in this thread and the accompanying links: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I was at an NHS training session on encouraging physical exercise last week and the old drink water only thing came up. Apparently, your body's cells recognise water as water and will re-hydrate on it whereas coffee, tea, beer etc doesn't count and will contribute to water retention.
    - I know, I know - who knew eh?!
    - and that's the NHS (National Health Service, UK)

Sounds like the NHS could use some education themselves. Coffee, tea, sodas, etc. are MADE with water and it's ridiculous to say that your body won't recognize it as water just because it's been strained through some ground beans or leaves, or had flavoring added to it. That's absolutely silly and completely false.

If you'd like to see some actual science about hydration, read the first post in this thread and the accompanying links: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

Or the NHS needs to improve their consistency, as here they seem to tell a different story: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

"The Eatwell Guide says we should drink six to eight glasses of fluid a day. Water, lower fat milk and sugar-free drinks including tea and coffee all count." (Why water with sugar in it wouldn't count as water, beats me -- probably don't want to encourage imbibing 6-8 glasses of "full fat" soda, I get it, but it seems like assuming your audience is stupid.)

Also: "If you don't like the taste of plain water, try sparkling water or add a slice of lemon or lime. Or heat the water and infuse a tea bag, some coffee or a slice of lemon. You could also add some no-added-sugar squash or fruit juice for flavour."
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 to 3 cups of coffee and the rest is Seltzer, sodium free, sugar free.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    water sometimes i ll have a coke and i ll drink beer when i go out to play pool.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big water drinker at all, just a few sips during my workout, that's pretty much it.

I drink tonnes of (black) coffee and I drink a 750ml green smoothie every day for which I use water to liquify it. Might have an earl grey in the evening. And I love a bit of wine or a few beers in the weekend.
    Only drink coke when I'm hungover. Don't drink juice.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I drink water and seltzer (plain or the flavored kind without sweeteners) for the most part, but enjoy a glass of wine with dinner. I use unsweetened cashew milk for my breakfast protein smoothie, so I think that counts, too.

I stopped drinking soda when I was pregnant with my first child (I had loved Coke Zero up to that point, but it suddenly tasted awful to me at the end of the first trimester) and just never started drinking it again.

I recently stopped drinking coffee every day. Now, I mostly just have it on lazy weekend mornings.

I don't drink much juice unless it is in fruity cocktails that I indulge in on vacations. Well, except for the occasional tomato juice with a brunch. I *love* tomato juice, spiked or plain.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm not showing up if there isn't coffee. just forget it.

that and water are pretty much all that i drink, but there's no righteousness in it. i just used to get frightening abdominal migraines and somewhere along the way i started associating them with both milk and pop. so my feelings about both of those are still probably best described by the word 'fear'.

i crave o.j. every now and again, if my mouth's in the mood. but i think i'm just basically used to thinks that don't make your spit all goopy and thick, by this point. my life is way too short to waste any of it policing what other folks drink.
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Personally i dont think "water only" affects my weight at all. 99% of what i drink is water but it has nothing to do with my weightloss. This is how it was even at my highest weight of over 300 lbs. Water is just the only thing that quenches my thirst.It has always been this way,if i am thirsty and i have juice,i still have to drink some water. But this does not stop me from drinking juice if i feel like it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    keezo1 wrote: »
    Personally i dont think "water only" affects my weight at all. 99% of what i drink is water but it has nothing to do with my weightloss. This is how it was even at my highest weight of over 300 lbs. Water is just the only thing that quenches my thirst.It has always been this way,if i am thirsty and i have juice,i still have to drink some water. But this does not stop me from drinking juice if i feel like it.

Could have written this myself, word for word.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I never drink water. Ever.

Diet soda (4-6 liters a day) and low cal energy drinks only.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I don't drink *only water*.

... I probably have a daily smoothie or protein shake, black coffee, green or black tea and the occasional beer/wine/spirits.

BUT - I have at least 3 litre (or more depending on weather and activity) per day of water and I never drink soft drink or sports drinks or other sugar laden drinks such as juice or ice tea etc.

I do ONLY drink water for thirst/hydration.

I was raised this way and to be honest I don't really like sugary drinks so it is easy for me.

Also, medically I need to be well hydrated in order to keep medication levels (lithium, which is basically a salt, is metabolised in the kidneys and can get to toxic levels relatively easily) stable.

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

I try to drink a decent amount of water but don't usually get as much as I "should" - I've found that if I add a slice of cucumber to my bottle, for some reason that seems to make it easier to drink more! I guess it adds a subtle hint of flavour that makes it more interesting.

Other than that I have 2-3 cups of tea per day, but only one cup of coffee because I like flavoured creamer in it and more cups would cost me too many calories! ;) I'll drink alcohol occasionally, and if I have the calories available I might have a glass of milk, chocolate milk or orange juice sometimes (but generally I only have milk on my breakfast now). I can't imagine drinking only water and nothing else, but I try to drink more of it than other things.

For me, personally, I think the casual attitude of my parents about these things helped me not to develop a soda drinking habit. It was not forbidden or explicitly limited, but it was not presented as an option for thirst either. I also had access to it whenever I wanted, so it never felt like a forbidden fruit.

This is kind of the way I approached teaching my son about alcohol. I didn't want him to grow up thinking it was some special and forbidden "adults only" drink that he must overindulge in at the first opportunity, so from the time he was about 8 or 9 whenever we had a bottle of wine I'd give him some lemonade with a small amount of wine in it. As he got older, we gradually increased the amount of wine in relation to the lemonade. He got to feel that he was part of the celebration rather than being left out, and the alcohol wasn't something mysterious that he coveted. :)

(It might be worth mentioning that we're English, and at that time in the UK (not sure if it's changed since) it was completely legal to give alcohol to a child over five in your own home, and for children 14 and over to drink at a restaurant if they were eating with their parents. They only had to be 18 to buy it themselves.)