Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    You're young OP, take advantage of being able to eat lots and get away with it, because it wont last forever.

Those were the days, my friend. People told me about it when I was in my 20s, but I didn't believe them because I was too busy burning off calories. Lol.

PLEASE STOP

You keep posting positively about weight loss and calorie burns on a thread where is it wholly inappropriate

Take some of your maternal instinct and use it appropriately to support a young man who needs weight GAIN support

This young man is severely underweight and clearly struggling emotionally with increasing his calories

Think before you post ..please

His physician will decide. You are blowing this out of proportion. The poster I was replying to was simply saying to him to enjoy eating a lot now while he can.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    Had my appointment today it was with my family Dr who hasn't seen me in years so he went over my entire medical history and he was concerned about my weight but the blood test came up clear so he booked me in for another blood test...

He said that I should try eating some more healthy fats and protein from things like milk and cheese but don't just start eating loads as it could damage my body with the sudden increase in calories and fats and as I go to the gym a bit doing weight training he told me to eat more protein and I will bulk up a bit and also to start cardio exercises to make sure I'm keeping my heart healthy

Then he said he wants to keep an eye on me so after the blood test I have to see him but he said it will most likely not be till after Christmas.

The bodybuilders on MFP can show you how to eat enough to build muscle during weight training. The thing is you will need to eat more to bulk up while training. Otherwise it will be difficult for your body to build muscle while in your current calorie deficit. (I'm not sure what an ideal, healthy, body fat percentage range for a man your age is. I remember seeing a chart somewhere that showed that.)

It sounds to me like you have very active life. Cardio will burn calories so be careful to eat extra while doing those kinds of exercises. I have a feeling you will get the information you need. There is a learning curve, so definitely keep researching and don't give up.

... It takes some planning to make sure that you get enough calories. But an easy way to do that is to get in enough fats and upping your protein like your doctor said. It's great to hear that you were able to get in to see the doctor and hope your second set of blood tests scheduled to be taken after Christmas show normal also.

...It sounds like you are an active person and are simply not eating as much as you are burning. You are wise that you with checked with your physician before embarking on changing up your diet. At least now that you are doctor supervised, he is giving you helpful advice on how to slowly build up your muscle mass and is watching out for you.

Don't forget that there is a gaining weight forum on MFP where you might get other ideas from people experiencing similar difficulty gaining.

This is the advice I gave.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You're young OP, take advantage of being able to eat lots and get away with it, because it wont last forever.

Those were the days, my friend. People told me about it when I was in my 20s, but I didn't believe them because I was too busy burning off calories. Lol.

PLEASE STOP

You keep posting positively about weight loss and calorie burns on a thread where is it wholly inappropriate

Take some of your maternal instinct and use it appropriately to support a young man who needs weight GAIN support

This young man is severely underweight and clearly struggling emotionally with increasing his calories

Think before you post ..please

His physician will decide. You are blowing this out of proportion. The poster I was replying to was simply saying to him to enjoy eating a lot now while he can.

Think about the situation he's in. He's telling us about how a bowl of cereal hurts his stomach maybe because of the milk, whereas most of us in his situation would ecstatically have an awesome story about the new FULL PINT of (lactose free?) icecream we've eaten everyday since we were confronted with our situation. Ever wonder why that is? I don't know that he has any kind of severe condition, but it seems quite plain to me that he doesn't love to eat. Don't glamorize or trivialize what you were, here; he doesn't need this.

Are you kidding me? I definitely am not trivializing. He is seeing a doctor. Yes he should ask about possible lactose intolerance and possible celiac. He will see a doctor after Christmas. Of course I am not glamorizing being thin. I'm trying to encourage OP to gain weight also.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think he's just ruling out any underlying medical issues thoroughly so that if it is just a case of not eating enough (and by your own admission you find eating tough) then he can come down hard on working out a strategy to get you eating more.

but I think you need to work on this as a priority because regardless of any health issues you are simply not eating enough full stop. Even if something is discovered it would still require you to adequately nourish your body so may as well start working on it right now.

As someone said, this time of year is perfect, there are plenty of calorie dense treats and options. Even the seasonal special sandwiches are bigger calorie bombs than the usual. Full sugar drinks. Add a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate to each meal, low volume but high calorie, easy ways to up your intake. Have a little baggy of nuts in your pocket at all times to graze on. Get those little snack size cheese portions and grab one every time you're near the fridge. Little things like that will go a long way to increasing intake.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Seriously. This OP is a full grown man. He isn't underage. He is intelligent and is actually listening to people about going to the doctor for screening before going forward with a plan to gain weight. Sheesh.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Seriously. This OP is a full grown man. He isn't underage. He is intelligent and is actually listening to people about going to the doctor for screening before going forward with a plan to gain weight. Sheesh.

I actually disagree. OP showed little effort to actually get into the doctor and made excuses for several pages before he actually did. He has been resistant to eating more. The line of questioning from the doctor suggests the doctor thinks an ED is a possibility.

No. He could not get an appointment. Read the posts again.

ETA-- obviously he wants help because he wasn't scared off by people asking about ED. I'm impressed he has stuck through the whole line of questioning. Plus he got his appointment as well as a follow up one.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    In due course the GP is going to ask for a food diary. Getting the logging habit here will make that so much easier, and the cause of the problem ( too few calories in, or something else) fairly apparent.
    An open diary would also make it easier to tailor the advice on increasing calories towards foods the OP might actually eat too.

Just a thought....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »

I actually disagree. OP showed little effort to actually get into the doctor and made excuses for several pages before he actually did. He has been resistant to eating more. The line of questioning from the doctor suggests the doctor thinks an ED is a possibility.

No. He could not get an appointment. Read the posts again.

Somebody please slap me on the forehead. My hand is fatigued already :s

Try smacking your head against the desk/wall. Eventually you'll knock yourself out. It's how I get to sleep nearly every single night.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. He has made numerous excuses as to why he is not going to the doctor. His posts also throw up major red flags as someone who has may have an eating disorder.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the OP would be getting the flippant "you can eat loads! enjoy it!" and "don't gain fat, gain muscle!" if they were female and at a BMI of 14.5.

I'm going to say no, theynlikely wouldnt. Theuwnould likely be encouraged to see a therapist.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP would be getting the flippant "you can eat loads! enjoy it!" and "don't gain fat, gain muscle!" if they were female and at a BMI of 14.5.

I'm going to say no, theynlikely wouldnt. Theuwnould likely be encouraged to see a therapist.

You would be correct.