14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Good to hear the initial results came back clear and you've had a decent chat with a GP.

He's given you some good starting points and you can work on trying to gain some.

Hope the next set of blood results show there's nothing to worry about except the need to gain some healthily.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    Had my appointment today it was with my family Dr who hasn't seen me in years so he went over my entire medical history and he was concerned about my weight but the blood test came up clear so he booked me in for another blood test he was asking me things like have I ever thought I was fat or overweight and am I stressed out or sleeping properly the he asked if I eat a lot I said I eat ok but don't eat any sweets crisps or fizzy drinks and he said that's good but I should try eating some more healthy fats and protein from things like milk and cheese but don't just start eating loads as it could damage my body with the sudden increase in calories and fats and as I go to the gym a bit doing weight training he told me to eat more protein and I will bulk up a bit and also to start cardio exercises to make sure I'm keeping my heart healthy then he said he wants to keep an eye on me so after the blood test I have to see him but he said it will most likely not be till after Christmas

That's good! Sounds like a proper GP indeed. Congratulations.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Eat more, but eat right. Check out a Mediterranean Diet for starters. And yes, see a doctor about that very low BMI.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Eat more, but eat right. Check out a Mediterranean Diet for starters. And yes, see a doctor about that very low BMI.
    He doesn't have to follow any specific diet! He just needs to eat more! I get the impression he's reluctant to eating more. Nobody can force him to eat more. Not even his doctor (or maybe, if his undereating is deemed life-threatening, but he's working and foruming, so we aren't there yet.)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Glad nothing is seriously wrong in the blood tests. Why do you seem so resistant to eating more and counting calories?
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Had my blood taken earlier it was for thyroid and gluten or summin tests gotta wait till Friday or Monday for the results
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I hope this was a full thyroid panel, several related tests from the one sample. I'm pleased this is moving faster than you thought the other day. All the best.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Any update? Hope you are doing ok.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    Had my appointment today it was with my family Dr who hasn't seen me in years so he went over my entire medical history and he was concerned about my weight but the blood test came up clear so he booked me in for another blood test...

He said that I should try eating some more healthy fats and protein from things like milk and cheese but don't just start eating loads as it could damage my body with the sudden increase in calories and fats and as I go to the gym a bit doing weight training he told me to eat more protein and I will bulk up a bit and also to start cardio exercises to make sure I'm keeping my heart healthy

Then he said he wants to keep an eye on me so after the blood test I have to see him but he said it will most likely not be till after Christmas.

The bodybuilders on MFP can show you how to eat enough to build muscle during weight training. The thing is you will need to eat more to bulk up while training. Otherwise it will be difficult for your body to build muscle while in your current calorie deficit. (I'm not sure what an ideal, healthy, body fat percentage range for a man your age is. I remember seeing a chart somewhere that showed that.)

It sounds to me like you have very active life. Cardio will burn calories so be careful to eat extra while doing those kinds of exercises. I have a feeling you will get the information you need. There is a learning curve, so definitely keep researching and don't give up.

Have you plugged in your stats into a TDEE calculator to see what your TDEE is? You may be surprised to see just how many calories you need to eat just in order to maintain TDEE. It takes some planning to make sure that you get enough calories. But an easy way to do that is to get in enough fats and upping your protein like your doctor said. It's great to hear that you were able to get in to see the doctor and hope your second set of blood tests scheduled to be taken after Christmas show normal also.

My middle son has difficulty gaining weight, so I can sympathize. He was able to gain some weight by purposefully drinking more whole milk and eating more protein on top of his normal eating. Make sure you eat enough veggies for fiber because a lot of dairy can sometimes cause constipation.

It sounds like you are an active person and are simply not eating as much as you are burning. You are wise that you with checked with your physician before embarking on changing up your diet. At least now that you are doctor supervised, he is giving you helpful advice on how to slowly build up your muscle mass and is watching out for you.

Don't forget that there is a gaining weight forum on MFP where you might get other ideas from people experiencing similar difficulty gaining.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    @debsozo seriously?

A guy with a 14 BMI should not be concerned about keeping body fat low

He should be bulking, and adding calories wherever he can and in whatever way he can and he needs more body fat

Because that BMI is dangerous

I know that! I'm just saying he appears to be working on bodybuilding and not anxious to gain fat quickly.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Then why say it? Why include it in your advice?

If this was your kid wouldn't you be livid if anyone said anything to reinforce that it could possibly be OK to be concerned about bodyfat at a dangerously low BMI ?

I would be.

Apologies. His doctor told him he could damage his body by adding calories and fats too quickly. He should definitely add on weight.

Body fat percentage is different than BMI. I found a body fat percentage chart in this article:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
    Healthy body fat range for him would be between 8-19% body fat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

If this was your kid wouldn't you be livid if anyone said anything to reinforce that it could possibly be OK to be concerned about bodyfat at a dangerously low BMI ?

I would be.

Apologies. His doctor told him he could damage his body by adding calories and fats too quickly. He should definitely add on weight.

Body fat percentage is different than BMI. I found a body fat percentage chart in this article:

He is severely under-weight so bodyfat is not the concern here.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I would be.

He is severely under-weight so bodyfat is not the concern here.

I think that he wants to build muscle is all I am saying. He needs to gain weight. That is a given. Will you P.M. him to help find out his objectives? BMI under 18 is dangerous, correct? I don't think that he is eating enough to meet TDEE. He is seeing doctor after Christmas, so maybe he can give him a regime.