14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah to clarify-

You are registered to a named doctor (GP) at a local doctors surgery. You can call that surgery (or practice) for an appointment and either get seen by your named doctor or by someone else within the practice. (I don't think I've ever met my named doctor)

There are also walk-in clinics and sexual health clinics where you can just....walk-in. You will be seen by anyone, but usually have to tell them your named GP details so they can send any notes to them (not automatic in a sexual health clinic, they'll ask for permission).

Then there's a hospital. You might be referred to a department there by your GP, or go to A&E or a minor injuries unit (the first usually via appointment, the others by drop-in. You will be seen by whoever, but again the records are sent to your GP.

The most crucial thing is to be registered with a GP who holds your records. This doesn't mean the transfer of records and clinical history is swift, but you do need to be registered somewhere ideally.

That being said, you will be treated, for free, wherever you are and whatever the situation.

In an emergency the NHS excels. 'Routine' appointments not so much (I once waited the standard 16 weeks for a neurosurgeon appointment, to find they'd never sent the referral letter and had to go to the back of the queue. The good thing was that by the time I actually got seen, my slipped disc/nerve damage resolved without treatment)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    After reading this I'm so glad i live in Australia. I have never been knocked back for a doctors visit. You may not get the doctor of your choice as they may be booked out, but there is ALWAYS an appointment available with one of the other doctors in the clinic. On top of this, many clinics in my area bulk bill, so no out of pocket expense either.

Same. I have 3 clinics within walking distance which bulk bill and as long as you're willing to wait will see you. The biggest has online booking and if you check in the morning you can get an appointment and not have to wait.

Ooohh yes, I forgot about the online booking :+1:

I also wanted to address the police not coming out to calls.. I was in my very first car accident a couple of weeks ago, nothing serious , just a teeny fender bender. The woman who rammed up my bum was off her face on some substance and could barely stand up straight!! Another driver called the cops 5 minutes before she hit me due to her swerving all over the road, and called them again after she hit me.

Long story short, first the ambulance turned up, 2 minutes later the fire engine, 30 minutes later still no cops! The ambo told me to leave because it wasn't a serious accident so the police would most likely not bother coming. The woman that hit me should thank her lucky stars as they they would have alcohol and drug tested her, and she would have been goooone. Her car and the toddler she had in her back seat would have both been taken away from her there and then!

We got broken into 2 years ago. Called the cops when we got home at 11pm and found the window wrenched open and a bunch of stuff gone.

They showed up... at 2pm the next day. Refused to even do a drive past for our piece of mind.

Geez That's unacceptable!! On the other side of the coin, our neighbour has an annoying habit of parking over our driveway just enough so that my husband cant get his boat out. He spat the dummy one day and called the cops, an hour later THREE of them turned up lol
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are walking 5 hours a day, you may be too tired to prepare meals or to eat. A great way to add some good calories is nuts, e.g., almonds.
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the op still hasn't made an appointment?

Went Dr's earlier have to have a fasting bloodtest next week but the Dr said my bmi is fine it was 15 by his weight height test and he said he could see anything wrong from just checking me over so the bloodtest

BULL. RUBBISH.

Even a bad/stupid doctor would look at a BMI of 15 and go "uh-oh! Bad!".

Great. We wasted all this time on a troll.

Yep. A BMI of 15 is suitable for a child, not an adult:

"Normal BMIs for boys range from 13.8-16.8 for a 5 year old, 14.2 to 19.4 for a 10 year old, and 16.5-23.4 for a 15 year old."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/88045-normal-bmi-children/

I call BS or broken scale.

He was 15 on the DR's scale apparently

I don't understand why you don't believe me I just said what the Dr said I was 51kg at 186cm and on his screen that came up as 15bmi which he said was fine he then check my glands in my neck and under jaw area he also checked my stomach/abdomen then told me he can't tell anything wrong on the surface so I've got to have a fasting blood test
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    After reading this I'm so glad i live in Australia. I have never been knocked back for a doctors visit. You may not get the doctor of your choice as they may be booked out, but there is ALWAYS an appointment available with one of the other doctors in the clinic. On top of this, many clinics in my area bulk bill, so no out of pocket expense either.

Same. I have 3 clinics within walking distance which bulk bill and as long as you're willing to wait will see you. The biggest has online booking and if you check in the morning you can get an appointment and not have to wait.

I also wanted to address the police not coming out to calls.. I was in my very first car accident a couple of weeks ago, nothing serious , just a teeny fender bender. The woman who rammed up my bum was off her face on some substance and could barely stand up straight!! Another driver called the cops 5 minutes before she hit me due to her swerving all over the road, and called them again after she hit me.

Long story short, first the ambulance turned up, 2 minutes later the fire engine, 30 minutes later still no cops! The ambo told me to leave because it wasn't a serious accident so the police would most likely not bother coming. The woman that hit me should thank her lucky stars as they they would have alcohol and drug tested her, and she would have been goooone. Her car and the toddler she had in her back seat would have both been taken away from her there and then!

Very sorry to hear! It's disconcerting to be hit, even if there's little damage. I'm glad you're ok! FWIW, in the US, a minor in the car escalates a DUI to a felony charge. Did emergency personnel honestly let that woman get back in her car and drive away with a child? Frightening!

Sorry for the derail.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

Went Dr's earlier have to have a fasting bloodtest next week but the Dr said my bmi is fine it was 15 by his weight height test and he said he could see anything wrong from just checking me over so the bloodtest

BULL. RUBBISH.

"Normal BMIs for boys range from 13.8-16.8 for a 5 year old, 14.2 to 19.4 for a 10 year old, and 16.5-23.4 for a 15 year old."

I don't understand why you don't believe me I just said what the Dr said I was 51kg at 186cm and on his screen that came up as 15bmi which he said was fine he then check my glands in my neck and under jaw area he also checked my stomach/abdomen then told me he can't tell anything wrong on the surface so I've got to have a fasting blood test

No dr would say bmi 15 is ok. Normal is 18.5-24.9.

He just put my height and weight in the bmi came up he said it's 15 then that's fine
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

BULL. RUBBISH.

He just put my height and weight in the bmi came up he said it's 15 then that's fine

Really?!?!?! Because bmi 15 is quite a bit below the weight required to be diagnosed as anorexic.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

BULL. RUBBISH.

Did you tell him you lost a substantial amount of weight in a short period of time, or did you leave that bit out?

And 15 is not fine.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

BULL. RUBBISH.

Really?!?!?! Because bmi 15 is quite a bit below the weight required to be diagnosed as anorexic.

Yeah he didn't seem concerned that much at all
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

BULL. RUBBISH.

Did you tell him you lost a substantial amount of weight in a short period of time, or did you leave that bit out?

And 15 is not fine.
    If the stats the op gave are accurate he's actually 14.7 which is very very scary like fatally low scary.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

BULL. RUBBISH.

And 15 is not fine.

Yeah I told him
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    then you need to find another dr somehow. this is not acceptable for a dr to not worry about things like that and say its ok.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Welfare check

Monetary cheque

Which works if you use separate spellings. Most of the US uses check for both and the Canadians I know use both for both. I too thought it was about getting money, which honestly doesn't surprise me that someone would use emergency services to get a check/complain about not getting one.

Don't be silly. No one would ever call 911 to complain about not getting someth... oh... wait:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/03/04/florida-woman-calls-11-after-mcdonald-runs-out-mcnuggets.html

They did a fly on the wall about 999 services with a service per episode here in the UK in the last couple of years. The things people call 999 for are outrageous, the call handlers deserve a medal for their patience. And yes, they do refuse many many callers because they're just time wasting idiots.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Very sorry to hear! It's disconcerting to be hit, even if there's little damage. I'm glad you're ok! FWIW, in the US, a minor in the car escalates a DUI to a felony charge. Did emergency personnel honestly let that woman get back in her car and drive away with a child? Frightening!

Sorry for the derail.

Yep, he let her drive off. The guy who originally called the cops pulled over with us and grabbed the keys out of her ignition, which started a big hoohaa between them.
    But the ambulance guy made him give them back to her, and off she drove still swerving from lane to lane. The whole thing was surreal..

Also apologise for the derail :blush:

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Welfare check

Monetary cheque

Unless you're in the US, where they are both 'check'. :smile: Which is why all of the US residents are immediately thinking about a piece of paper that you turn in for money instead of an inquiry into someone's health at their home. I'll admit, I did too.

ETA: Doh, someone beat me to it.