14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I agree with debrg12. It does not seem right to do a "like".

Its as if you have to plan when to be ill or when to need some other sort of intervention. Our Chemists/Pharmacists do do a good job picking up the slack. There are pockets of excellence but if your symptoms don't fit the form, you can go for years without relief.

Case in point Hashimotos Thyroiditis. It usually presents with normal thyroid hormones but testing for the antibodies which work at destroying the thyroid gland and other tissue is not usually done. This problem can and does get in the way of a person being able to maintain their place in employment and society, putting pressure on our benefits system. T3 the active thyroid hormone is also "never" tested, unless you are fortunate enough to find someone who really listens and is prepared to go out on a limb.

It frightens me that t3 levels are not taken into account, when problems with this particular hormone can impact on digestive health, heart health, reproductive health, respiratory health, mental health (t3 is known as the Brain hormone) and some instances of cancer because t3 is involved in the replication of every single cell in our bodies. All this public expense when one simple blood test could change so much especially in the early stages.

According to one site there are some 300 possible symptoms relating to thyroid health, its not that simple as health systems believe. Low T3 levels can be involved in IBS, t2 diabetes, t1 diabetes because it is also an autoimmune health problem and when one has one autoimmune condition you are predisposed to having more like fibro, ms and the rest.

Please do your own research visit sites like, Stop the Thyroid Madness, (STTM) Thyroid UK, Thyroid Mom and many other thyroid support sites which are essential so people can begin to understand their issues. Its not always, you eat too much, saying that is ignorant.

Being hypo or having Hashi does predispose many to weight gain, the conditions slow the metabolism and it that were not enough when you live in a state of persistent calorific deficit this too slows the system too. Its not as simple as ci-v-co for those with thyroid problems.

No I'm not sorry for detailing all this because if it helps only one person that is one fewer who's life is destroyed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.
    Surely appt's aren't made on a ring up that day only basis.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.

At ours we have appointments in advance but usually a week or two then we have emergences and 'sit and wait'.

It's not easy getting appointments in the UK

its not always easy, but its also not as hard as the OP has made out.

the last time i rang for an actual doctors appointment, i rang at 8am when the surgery opened, got through at around 10 past and was told there were no appointments, so i asked for a phone appointment. the doctor rang me late morning, and told me he needed to see me (obvs!) and made me an appointment for that afternoon.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.

At ours we have appointments in advance but usually a week or two then we have emergences and 'sit and wait'.

It's not always easy in the US either. I live in a big city and really love my medical practice which is affiliated with a major and well-respected teaching hospital, but if I just call for a general appointment I will probably end up waiting 6 weeks (and I have good employer-based insurance). But if I have an issue that might be an emergency or a concern, I can call and explain the problem and if they think it could be a concern (which they generally do, to be safe) they will fit me in sooner, even same day. It sounds like this latter piece is what OP has not really tried (although UK vs. US, yes). I also find it rather unbelievable, although someone from the UK can correct me if I am wrong, that they would not take anything but same-day-call-at-8:30-when-we-open appointments. What would be the reason for that?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's not always easy in the US either. I live in a big city and really love my medical practice which is affiliated with a major and well-respected teaching hospital, but if I just call for a general appointment I will probably end up waiting 6 weeks (and I have good employer-based insurance). But if I have an issue that might be an emergency or a concern, I can call and explain the problem and if they think it could be a concern (which they generally do, to be safe) they will fit me in sooner, even same day. It sounds like this latter piece is what OP has not really tried (although UK vs. US, yes). I also find it rather unbelievable, although someone from the UK can correct me if I am wrong, that they would not take anything but same-day-call-at-8:30-when-we-open appointments. What would be the reason for that?

Over subscribed surgery (not unusual if it's the only practice in the village), preventing lost appointments to no shows and trying to keep it to only those who actually really need to see the doctor due to aforementioned no shows.

My surgery is brilliant, can always see any doctor within a day or two, my preferred GP can be seen same week (as long as I call when her appointment book opens for the following week on a Wednesday afternoon). But I am the exception rather than the rule, I really lucked out!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the op still hasn't made an appointment?
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

No, you do not call 911 in the U.S. about a welfare check. It is for emergency response (police, fire, ambulance/EMT) only.

Reading your post below I think we're now on the same page as to what type of welfare check I was referring to. I'm sorry my post wasn't clear in that regard. It just never occurred to me anyone would read it as "Where is my free money?" Lol.

That being said, my department frequently does welfare checks. As another poster stated, calls are prioritized based on urgency. If it's non-emergent but we have a unit in the area we'll stop by and assess the situation. If no unit is available at the time we'll go out when it is feasible. We do not consider that a waste of our time or resources. Worst case scenario (which actually is the BEST case scenario) the person in question is fine and does not require any assistance. We're glad when that happens because in our line of work we do not get too many happy endings (and to avoid further misunderstandings, no, I do not mean the massage kind of happy endings).

While requesting a medical transport in OP's case is not the norm, it would not even come close to being considered abuse of the 911 system. If we are able to get them the help they need then that's a win in our book. As for unusual 911 calls, the OP's situation would not even make the top 1,000.

• Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Has anyone else realised OP, is missing. He has not logged in. hope he is ok.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

No, you do not call 911 in the U.S. about a welfare check. It is for emergency response (police, fire, ambulance/EMT) only.

Reading your post below I think we're now on the same page as to what type of welfare check I was referring to. I'm sorry my post wasn't clear in that regard. It just never occurred to me anyone would read it as "Where is my free money?" Lol.

That being said, my department frequently does welfare checks. As another poster stated, calls are prioritized based on urgency. If it's non-emergent but we have a unit in the area we'll stop by and assess the situation. If no unit is available at the time we'll go out when it is feasible. We do not consider that a waste of our time or resources. Worst case scenario (which actually is the BEST case scenario) the person in question is fine and does not require any assistance. We're glad when that happens because in our line of work we do not get too many happy endings (and to avoid further misunderstandings, no, I do not mean the massage kind of happy endings).

While requesting a medical transport in OP's case is not the norm, it would not even come close to being considered abuse of the 911 system. If we are able to get them the help they need then that's a win in our book. As for unusual 911 calls, the OP's situation would not even make the top 1,000.

That ambulance ride won't be free, though.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

its not always easy, but its also not as hard as the OP has made out.

the last time i rang for an actual doctors appointment, i rang at 8am when the surgery opened, got through at around 10 past and was told there were no appointments, so i asked for a phone appointment. the doctor rang me late morning, and told me he needed to see me (obvs!) and made me an appointment for that afternoon.

It sounds a little like it at least helps to know some "secret handshakes". But realistically, I hope it's just a willingness to say, "I'm in really bad shape, please tell me my options other than calling back tomorrow."
  • Eleniala
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

That ambulance ride won't be free, though.

It would be free here. But certainly, that may not be the case elsewhere.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the advice given on page 7 (excellent btw) was enough to keep OP from coming back..

Sometimes despite all our efforts and good will, we cannot save them from themselves..

however (this is just my thoughts).. still thinking its a kid trolling and wanting attention, perhaps lives in his parents basement and bored.
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the op still hasn't made an appointment?

Went Dr's earlier have to have a fasting bloodtest next week but the Dr said my bmi is fine it was 15 by his weight height test and he said he could see anything wrong from just checking me over so the bloodtest
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Well this makes me sad. There are bad GPs and it seems OP has run into one but he may not have an option to see another doctor. But the good news is if the blood test rules out diabetes you can just make an effort to add more food to your day and try to gain some weight.

BMI of 15 is really not okay.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Well this makes me sad. There are bad GPs and it seems OP has run into one but he may not have an option to see another doctor. But the good news is if the blood test rules out diabetes you can just make an effort to add more food to your day and try to gain some weight.

BMI of 15 is really not okay.

Honestly I have seen lots of people with BMI 15 when I was in treatment and they looked way more emaciated than the OP so this is just odd but 15 is no where near ok.

• Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I'm glad you managed to see someone. Like the others I think bmi of 15 is not good. Naturally I hope the blood test requested is relevant. Please let us know how you get on.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    edited to delete
  • Eleniala
    Options

I didnt think that what you meant by welfare check was wheres my money. welfare checks here are done by the DHHR if its not an emergency or not cited as one like I said.so say if you want someone to check on say your nieces or nephews or neighbors kids because they dont look fed,neglected,etc you have to call the DHHR(welfare office) and make a report. if you see them being abused or domestic violence going on then yes you call 911 in that case it becomes a 911 emergency and not a welfare check. if you think your 90 year old neighbor is hurt or worse and havent seem him/her in a few days you either check on them yourself,call a family member of theirs. or you call the direct number to the sheriffs dept and hope they answer(there is not always someone in the office which is bullcrap) and have them check if they will.but most of the time they will tell you to report it to the DHHR(welfare) office.oh and reporting things to the DHHR dont always get priority either, as concerning children a lot of times they have to get more than one report before they will do anything/come out,unless you are a repeat offender. look up the lena lunsford case-she had kids who were taken over and over by the DHHR(they also are cps),and let her have her kids back,she abused them,one she even murdered and was just charged with it 5 years later,she has since lost all rights to her children. If that doesnt tell you how the system works around here then I dont know what will.

I wasn't talking to you. I quoted someone else...who admitted that she thought it was about a paper check for welfare/social services benefits. She saw the humor in the misunderstanding, and so did I and some other posters.

Now that OP (claims he) went to a doctor can we get back on topic?