RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    For those of you who think I'm lying about my age and weight
    pq0g3rkzt29c.jpg
    v7vk8dao0xkn.jpg

What does that scale say? I assume it's in stones but I feel like I must be converting it to pounds incorrectly.

Yeah stones
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    a bmi of 15 for a 20 yo individual meets UK guidelines for involuntary hospitalization under the mental health act (sectioning).

Thus a doctor would be unlikely to be unconcerned when it comes to such a 20 yo individual.

However, a younger person, who for example shot up a few inches in height a month or two ago, might present less of a concern.

Most of us here are not well versed at the guidelines for younger people. The people at spark teens on the other hand.... are!

I too, as is obvious from my previous answer, assumed the US spelling of cheque was being used and was wondering about the poster's drug consumption!!!

exactly Im not buying the doctor was unconcerned...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I'm guessing the op still hasn't made an appointment?

That what I looked for too .. just to see if he went and what the outcome was .. if he wasn't concerned I don't think he would have asked the question ..

He did update saying he was bmi 15 at the doctor's and the doctor said it was fine.... Um ok

Thanks for the update .. we just don't see many skinny people here I guess lol

Good luck

No one is "healthy" at a BMI of 15. A BMI of 15 is not just "skinny" it is emaciated.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    For those of you who think I'm lying about my age and weight
    pq0g3rkzt29c.jpg
    v7vk8dao0xkn.jpg

What does that scale say? I assume it's in stones but I feel like I must be converting it to pounds incorrectly.

I'm guessing stones as well - 115#. Or it may be just after 8 o'clock.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    there is absolutely no way a doctor would say you are healthy if you lose so much weight so quickly without trying to. Something is very wrong
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm booked in for a fasting blood test next Friday I don't know how long blood results take after I've had them taken so I don't know how long it will be till I get any more details
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What a bizarre thread! Why is everyone hyperventilating about this guy? Looking at his pic, he doesn't look sickly, he's just underweight. If he's able to walk at his job for 5 hrs every day (which with low intake explains his weight loss), then he's not sick enough to need a trip to the ER, or an emergency dr's appointment. He simply needs to eat more food if he wants to gain weight. The end!

"If he wants to gain weight"? You think bmi 15 is normal?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    anyway holding onto something would make the scale say more, not less - not sure what the PP was getting at.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    anyway holding onto something would make the scale say more, not less - not sure what the PP was getting at.

I think she meant that he was leaning on something or putting his weight on something else.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    yes, I get that - but that would make scale say a higher weight than he really is, not less than he really is
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What a bizarre thread! Why is everyone hyperventilating about this guy? Looking at his pic, he doesn't look sickly, he's just underweight. If he's able to walk at his job for 5 hrs every day (which with low intake explains his weight loss), then he's not sick enough to need a trip to the ER, or an emergency dr's appointment. He simply needs to eat more food if he wants to gain weight. The end!

I disagree that he simply needs to eat more food - someone young who has sudden unexplained weight loss does not simply need to eat more food - he needs to find out the underlying cause of this as it can be a symptom of serious illnesses.

He already explained that he walks for hours at work and the sample diet he described doesn't sound like much so he's just likely simply in a massive deficit given his height and active job.

And he may have recently started his job, we don't know, he doesn't say. Plus, he says he's always been skinny. So adding lots of activity while eating the same way you've always eaten=weightloss. I once lost 20 lbs in 2 months doing a warehouse job and I wasn't even deliberately trying to lose.

If he's unable to eat or if he eats more and fails to gain weight, THEN I'd say go see a doc. Until then, there's nothing to see here, it's just a guy not eating enough calories. The only mystery is why this is not obvious to him.

• paperpudding
    Options

I disagree that he simply needs to eat more food - someone young who has sudden unexplained weight loss does not simply need to eat more food - he needs to find out the underlying cause of this as it can be a symptom of serious illnesses.

He already explained that he walks for hours at work and the sample diet he described doesn't sound like much so he's just likely simply in a massive deficit given his height and active job.

And he may have recently started his job, we don't know, he doesn't say. Plus, he says he's always been skinny. So adding lots of activity while eating the same way you've always eaten=weightloss. I once lost 20 lbs in 2 months doing a warehouse job and I wasn't even deliberately trying to lose.

If he's unable to eat or if he eats more and fails to gain weight, THEN I'd say go see a doc. Until then, there's nothing to see here, it's just a guy not eating enough calories. The only mystery is why this is not obvious to him.

Leaving aside guesswork about new jobs etc - What he did say was that he has lost a lot of weight in a short time span without trying to - this is a flag for serious illnesses and should be investigated.

Especially if one has always been skinny and did not need to lose weight.

Obviously he is jut not eating enough calories - or is not absorbing the calories he does eat - but the question is why. and this needs medical investigation.

New job, more activity or not - one doesnt suddenly lose 2 stone (or 28 pounds) in 2 months.
    Especially not from a starting BMI of already underweight

OP has made the right step now and been to see a doctor - and the doctor was concerned enough to order some preliminary investigations.

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

New job, more activity or not - one doesnt suddenly lose 2 stone (or 28 pounds) in 2 months.
    Especially not from a starting BMI of already underweight..............

Why not? More activity=more deficit=weightloss. It's not that hard. That's a deficit of ~1600 calories/day. At 6'1" with a very active job, his TDEE is conceivably near 3000. To get that deficit, All he has to do is eat around 1500/day which is likely since he said one of his meals was 400-500. So you see, still not a medical mystery needing a battery of tests. Just an extra sandwich....or ten.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Especially not from a starting BMI of already underweight..............

Why not? More activity=more deficit=weightloss. It's not that hard. That's a deficit of ~1600 calories/day. At 6'1" with a very active job, his TDEE is conceivably near 3000. To get that deficit, All he has to do is eat around 1500/day which is likely since he said one of his meals was 400-500. So you see, still not a medical mystery needing a battery of tests. Just an extra sandwich....or ten.

The Mayo Clinic says that "many doctors agree that a medical evaluation is called for if you lose more than 5 percent of your weight in six months to a year" without intending to. OP says he lost 20% of his already underweight body weight in two months without trying.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/unexplained-weight-loss/basics/definition/sym-20050700

But yeah, it would be good if he ate more. I advised him up-thread to start eating about twice what he's been eating, but he has ignored that.