Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

No, you do not call 911 in the U.S. about a welfare check. It is for emergency response (police, fire, ambulance/EMT) only.

Reading your post below I think we're now on the same page as to what type of welfare check I was referring to. I'm sorry my post wasn't clear in that regard. It just never occurred to me anyone would read it as "Where is my free money?" Lol.

That being said, my department frequently does welfare checks. As another poster stated, calls are prioritized based on urgency. If it's non-emergent but we have a unit in the area we'll stop by and assess the situation. If no unit is available at the time we'll go out when it is feasible. We do not consider that a waste of our time or resources. Worst case scenario (which actually is the BEST case scenario) the person in question is fine and does not require any assistance. We're glad when that happens because in our line of work we do not get too many happy endings (and to avoid further misunderstandings, no, I do not mean the massage kind of happy endings).

While requesting a medical transport in OP's case is not the norm, it would not even come close to being considered abuse of the 911 system. If we are able to get them the help they need then that's a win in our book. As for unusual 911 calls, the OP's situation would not even make the top 1,000.

I didnt think that what you meant by welfare check was wheres my money. welfare checks here are done by the DHHR if its not an emergency or not cited as one like I said.so say if you want someone to check on say your nieces or nephews or neighbors kids because they dont look fed,neglected,etc you have to call the DHHR(welfare office) and make a report. if you see them being abused or domestic violence going on then yes you call 911 in that case it becomes a 911 emergency and not a welfare check. if you think your 90 year old neighbor is hurt or worse and havent seem him/her in a few days you either check on them yourself,call a family member of theirs. or you call the direct number to the sheriffs dept and hope they answer(there is not always someone in the office which is bullcrap) and have them check if they will.but most of the time they will tell you to report it to the DHHR(welfare) office.oh and reporting things to the DHHR dont always get priority either, as concerning children a lot of times they have to get more than one report before they will do anything/come out,unless you are a repeat offender. look up the lena lunsford case-she had kids who were taken over and over by the DHHR(they also are cps),and let her have her kids back,she abused them,one she even murdered and was just charged with it 5 years later,she has since lost all rights to her children. If that doesnt tell you how the system works around here then I dont know what will.

I wasn't talking to you. I quoted someone else...who admitted that she thought it was about a paper check for welfare/social services benefits. She saw the humor in the misunderstanding, and so did I and some other posters.

Now that OP (claims he) went to a doctor can we get back on topic?

we sure can. I was just stating,I knew what it meant. carry on
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the op still hasn't made an appointment?

Went Dr's earlier have to have a fasting bloodtest next week but the Dr said my bmi is fine it was 15 by his weight height test and he said he could see anything wrong from just checking me over so the bloodtest

You did explain that you'd lost quite a bit of weight in a short period of time without trying? If your blood test comes back okay, please keep an eye on your weight - if you keep losing then things really AREN'T ok.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

No. Just no. It's for really real emergencies.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I don't believe that there is only one practice within a 1-2 hour public transit ride from where the OP lives.

It doesn't work like this in the UK. You get registered with a surgery and you can only make appointments there. You can't just go to any surgery.
    In the UK the healthcare is free and we are talking about state surgeries (registered with the NHS)

That's so weird! I'm surprised that Canada and the UK would be so different since both systems are "free". So you really can't even walk into an ER? I wonder how many people die because of this when it isn't necessary. Honestly wondering (not sarcasm).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that there is only one practice within a 1-2 hour public transit ride from where the OP lives.

It doesn't work like this in the UK. You get registered with a surgery and you can only make appointments there. You can't just go to any surgery.
    In the UK the healthcare is free and we are talking about state surgeries (registered with the NHS)

That's so weird! I'm surprised that Canada and the UK would be so different since both systems are "free". So you really can't even walk into an ER? I wonder how many people die because of this when it isn't necessary. Honestly wondering (not sarcasm).

I'm not in the UK but I have a lot of UK fb friends who are chronically ill and they walk into the er (a&e?) on a regular basis
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    After reading this I'm so glad i live in Australia. I have never been knocked back for a doctors visit. You may not get the doctor of your choice as they may be booked out, but there is ALWAYS an appointment available with one of the other doctors in the clinic. On top of this, many clinics in my area bulk bill, so no out of pocket expense either.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You can walk into any A&E... which is part of a hospital... different from a doctors surgery where you need to be registered.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    After reading this I'm so glad i live in Australia. I have never been knocked back for a doctors visit. You may not get the doctor of your choice as they may be booked out, but there is ALWAYS an appointment available with one of the other doctors in the clinic. On top of this, many clinics in my area bulk bill, so no out of pocket expense either.

Same. I have 3 clinics within walking distance which bulk bill and as long as you're willing to wait will see you. The biggest has online booking and if you check in the morning you can get an appointment and not have to wait.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Went Dr's earlier have to have a fasting bloodtest next week but the Dr said my bmi is fine it was 15 by his weight height test and he said he could see anything wrong from just checking me over so the bloodtest

BULL. RUBBISH.

Even a bad/stupid doctor would look at a BMI of 15 and go "uh-oh! Bad!".

Great. We wasted all this time on a troll.

Yep. A BMI of 15 is suitable for a child, not an adult:

"Normal BMIs for boys range from 13.8-16.8 for a 5 year old, 14.2 to 19.4 for a 10 year old, and 16.5-23.4 for a 15 year old."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/88045-normal-bmi-children/

I call BS or broken scale.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Just for the non UK people I think surgery=doctor's office. In Canada you can't just walk into any random DR's office either. You either have to be their patient or get a referral into their practice (which takes forever and a day). We do have some walk in clinics but not very many.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

BULL. RUBBISH.

Yep. A BMI of 15 is suitable for a child, not an adult:

"Normal BMIs for boys range from 13.8-16.8 for a 5 year old, 14.2 to 19.4 for a 10 year old, and 16.5-23.4 for a 15 year old."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/88045-normal-bmi-children/

I call BS or broken scale.

He was 15 on the DR's scale apparently
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

BULL. RUBBISH.

Yes, I doubt anyone would say a BMI of 15 is ok

Especially with a -- what was it? -- 30 lb loss in a 2 month period.

A large part of my celiac diagnosis was based on that as a symptom because my biopsy was somewhat inconclusive. The doctors took me very seriously losing weight that rapidly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Same. I have 3 clinics within walking distance which bulk bill and as long as you're willing to wait will see you. The biggest has online booking and if you check in the morning you can get an appointment and not have to wait.

Ooohh yes, I forgot about the online booking :+1:

I also wanted to address the police not coming out to calls.. I was in my very first car accident a couple of weeks ago, nothing serious , just a teeny fender bender. The woman who rammed up my bum was off her face on some substance and could barely stand up straight!! Another driver called the cops 5 minutes before she hit me due to her swerving all over the road, and called them again after she hit me.

Long story short, first the ambulance turned up, 2 minutes later the fire engine, 30 minutes later still no cops! The ambo told me to leave because it wasn't a serious accident so the police would most likely not bother coming. The woman that hit me should thank her lucky stars as they they would have alcohol and drug tested her, and she would have been goooone. Her car and the toddler she had in her back seat would have both been taken away from her there and then!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Ooohh yes, I forgot about the online booking :+1:

I also wanted to address the police not coming out to calls.. I was in my very first car accident a couple of weeks ago, nothing serious , just a teeny fender bender. The woman who rammed up my bum was off her face on some substance and could barely stand up straight!! Another driver called the cops 5 minutes before she hit me due to her swerving all over the road, and called them again after she hit me.

Long story short, first the ambulance turned up, 2 minutes later the fire engine, 30 minutes later still no cops! The ambo told me to leave because it wasn't a serious accident so the police would most likely not bother coming. The woman that hit me should thank her lucky stars as they they would have alcohol and drug tested her, and she would have been goooone. Her car and the toddler she had in her back seat would have both been taken away from her there and then!

We got broken into 2 years ago. Called the cops when we got home at 11pm and found the window wrenched open and a bunch of stuff gone.

They showed up... at 2pm the next day. Refused to even do a drive past for our piece of mind.