14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Guys, at the beginning it wasn't completely clear he was trolling but now it is. Why bother?

Definitely, I'm out (except for the side conversation ;) )

Lol, I'm here for the side one too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Welfare check

Monetary cheque

Unless you're in the US, where they are both 'check'. :smile: Which is why all of the US residents are immediately thinking about a piece of paper that you turn in for money instead of an inquiry into someone's health at their home. I'll admit, I did too.

ETA: Doh, someone beat me to it.

It's because back in the days when they were rolling out typeset across the USA, there was a shortage on the letter u. So they had to have check instead of cheque, and that's why they don't have a u in neighbour, colour, flavour etc.

If only they'd thought to use an upside down n, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Fact.

Dontcha mean fact check?
    nxsvqzke68tz.png
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    I'm guessing the op still hasn't made an appointment?

Went Dr's earlier have to have a fasting bloodtest next week but the Dr said my bmi is fine it was 15 by his weight height test and he said he could see anything wrong from just checking me over so the bloodtest

BULL. RUBBISH.

Even a bad/stupid doctor would look at a BMI of 15 and go "uh-oh! Bad!".

Great. We wasted all this time on a troll.

Yep. A BMI of 15 is suitable for a child, not an adult:

"Normal BMIs for boys range from 13.8-16.8 for a 5 year old, 14.2 to 19.4 for a 10 year old, and 16.5-23.4 for a 15 year old."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/88045-normal-bmi-children/

I call BS or broken scale.

He was 15 on the DR's scale apparently

I don't understand why you don't believe me I just said what the Dr said I was 51kg at 186cm and on his screen that came up as 15bmi which he said was fine he then check my glands in my neck and under jaw area he also checked my stomach/abdomen then told me he can't tell anything wrong on the surface so I've got to have a fasting blood test

No dr would say bmi 15 is ok. Normal is 18.5-24.9.

He just put my height and weight in the bmi came up he said it's 15 then that's fine

Really?!?!?! Because bmi 15 is quite a bit below the weight required to be diagnosed as anorexic.

Yeah he didn't seem concerned that much at all

Wait.... what did you see A doctor, a type of doctor or THE Doctor?

Doctor Nick?????
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Welfare check

Monetary cheque

in the U.S., both are checks.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options

Went Dr's earlier have to have a fasting bloodtest next week but the Dr said my bmi is fine it was 15 by his weight height test and he said he could see anything wrong from just checking me over so the bloodtest

BULL. RUBBISH.

"Normal BMIs for boys range from 13.8-16.8 for a 5 year old, 14.2 to 19.4 for a 10 year old, and 16.5-23.4 for a 15 year old."

Or OP is 15 or 16 so the doctor isn't too worried...

"OP" already stated they were 20.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options

BULL. RUBBISH.

Or OP is 15 or 16 so the doctor isn't too worried...

"OP" already stated they were 20.

and no one has lied on the internet, ever! :laugh:

*rubs tired face* Oh, of course. Sorry.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.
    Surely appt's aren't made on a ring up that day only basis.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.

Yeah there on a ring that day only basis

So you're entire town can only book an appointment for the day they ring? I find this unlikely. I live in the UK and i know that every doctors I have ever rang or been to allows you to book for future days - it may not be soon, but it's an appointment.

It's the same here as well. You ring them at 8:30 or you're stuffed, really! If you want an appointment in the future you might get one in 3-4 weeks time. Actually, I was very badly low on sugar the other day. I only just about made it to the staff parking as the patient parking was full and the next parking place too far away. What happened was that a member of staff came out. I said I need help now! and I nearly collapsed outside. They just chased me away.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Guys, at the beginning it wasn't completely clear he was trolling but now it is. Why bother?

Sorry, but based on my experience in the UK I would not say he's trolling. I had so much bad experience here. Actually, there's a massive amount of doctors out there who don't bother.

- went to surgery being hypoglucose: left nearly collapsing there. Nobody cared, and all appointments were full anyway.
    - I have some unexplained asthma. I was completely confused, completely out of breath, could hardly speak. This rubbish doctor said simply: "must be psychological", and sent me home again and didn't give me a prescription for asthma inhalers that I had previously in a different country. This damn attack took 5 weeks to get away! I ended up sitting in A&E for 5 hours just to get the medication I needed. During the next attack 3 months later I again was told that it's unlikely I have a problem exhaling.
    - My TSH was 10, high antibodies. Doctor (a different one) said that I might develop hypothyroidism in the future. No need for treatment then. On a list with hypo symptoms I could check 40, including having up to 30 palpitations per minute, reflux, loss of memory, etc. When I finally convinced him to prescribe levothyroxine I felt better fairly quickly. Obviously, this dose is too low, and the same symptoms come back every few months, and every time I have to fight for having the dosage increased by 12.5mcg! Apparently, the risk of overdosing on levothyroxine is higher than having really bad palpitations, loss of strength, acid destroying my oesophagus and lungs, and women don't need brains anyway.
    - I don't digest fats. Wanted to know why. The blood tests run were fine. Thus I can't have a problem. End of story.
    - Oh, and my pernicious anaemia diagnosed in a different country doesn't get treated either as my serum B12 is high enough. Yea, sure. I'm self-injecting as I don't even get the one shot every 3 months the NHS uses as gold standard for PA. Apart from the fact that I need a shot at least every three weeks as otherwise my nerves take a huge hit!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.
    Surely appt's aren't made on a ring up that day only basis.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.

Yeah there on a ring that day only basis

So you're entire town can only book an appointment for the day they ring? I find this unlikely. I live in the UK and i know that every doctors I have ever rang or been to allows you to book for future days - it may not be soon, but it's an appointment.

It's the same here as well. You ring them at 8:30 or you're stuffed, really! If you want an appointment in the future you might get one in 3-4 weeks time. Actually, I was very badly low on sugar the other day. I only just about made it to the staff parking as the patient parking was full and the next parking place too far away. What happened was that a member of staff came out. I said I need help now! and I nearly collapsed outside. They just chased me away.

Can I ask why you thought it safe to get behind the wheel of a car if you were close to collapse?

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think the good thing is that the OP is now in the system. We don't know his medical history or details, and whilst adult guidelines may suggest him to be severely underweight he may be borderline in terms of age and growth and there is less concern.

The doctor has ordered tests, and does not feel it is urgent (which it didn't seem to be for the OP either) and we should assume perhaps that the medical profession are in the best place to make diagnoses on his issues.