14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustrations of trying to get a GP appointment. My surgery is quite large and i still struggle. These days i only ring up if i think it's lupus related (i'm a sufferer) and as son as they hear lupus i'm usually lucky enough to get the Nurse practitioners. try and be a bit more forceful. "i've phoned every day this week and have had no luck, can i even see a nurse?" type of approach. i know you're not overly concerned about your weight loss, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked out considering how much you've lost.

in the mean time, i don't know if this has been suggested, log everything you eat on mfp, enter your particulars and see what you get. if youre not looking to lose, try setting to maintain then log for a week. you might be surprised how much you're not eating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Wow, just a comment on the 911 discussion going on. Not sure if the same in the UK, but 911 in the US is VERY abused. The Opwpuld certainly not be the most ridiculous reason I have responded to.

I work in 911 as a paramedic, (right now in dispatch since I'm pregnant). While I agree that 911 is for life threatening emergencies, unfortunately people do not utilize it that way. Unfortunately we can not refuse a call, so evening you call because "you are cold after drinking a glass of milk" (a call I have actually responded to), we have to send you an ambulance, and if you want tot go to the hospital, we have to take you.

No, that's pretty much the same in the uk... That's why people are trying to dissuade OP from doing it!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Wow, just a comment on the 911 discussion going on. Not sure if the same in the UK, but 911 in the US is VERY abused. The Opwpuld certainly not be the most ridiculous reason I have responded to.

I work in 911 as a paramedic, (right now in dispatch since I'm pregnant). While I agree that 911 is for life threatening emergencies, unfortunately people do not utilize it that way. Unfortunately we can not refuse a call, so evening you call because "you are cold after drinking a glass of milk" (a call I have actually responded to), we have to send you an ambulance, and if you want tot go to the hospital, we have to take you.

Happens in Canada too. Ridiculous waste of money and a drain on the system.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    katiebean wrote: »
    OP, my boyfriend's practice is like yours (only do appointments on the day). You need to get on the phone as soon as they open (if I were you, I'd even start calling before 8.30 and hang up and call again if the message says not open yet.) And if they tell you they're full, tell them you've spent several days trying to get an appointment and explain the situation, and that you really need to see a Dr soon. They might be able to fit you in as an emergency.

If you don't drive, perhaps one of your parents could take you to a walk-in clinic, or you could get a bus?

Nobody in my house drives and when I told them I was told by 111 I need an appointment within 3 days that's not enough I have to tell them what is actually wrong they usually ask when you book an appointment but as there hasn't been any they haven't asked

For goodness' sake, STOP FAFFING AROUND. RING THEM TOMORROW AND IF THEY TELL YOU THEY'RE FULL TELL THEM IT'S AN EMERGENCY AND EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM! PROPERLY!

OK I'm sorry I don't really understand but I've never had any issues that are serious so I don't know how things work I am trying clearly not enough from your message I just didn't realise I'm not a very assertive person that's why I haven't been forceful with the Dr's

My nephew never had an serious issues either. Yet his condition was sudden onset and could have killed him. I am still grateful for his mum (my ex SIL) who just felt something is not right and booted him to the Dr.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Reasons why you should be seen right away. Malnutrition can cause anemia, a disease that affects red blood cells. These cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the organs and tissues of the body. An anemia associated with nutritional deficiencies can cause fatigue, shortness of breath, pale skin, irregular or fast heartbeat, dizziness, cognitive problems, cold hands and feet and headache. It can cause weakening of the heart, leading to heart attack. It can cause electrolyte imbalances which controls vital bodily functions and brain functions. It can cause hair loss and hormonal imbalances.

You might not show any symptoms, but that doesn't mean there isn't damage being done. Please get help ASAP.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

no you dont call 911 in the us to have a welfare check done. you call either the dept of health and human resources or the police non emergency line. 911 in the US is for all kinds of emergencies that is correct,but its also for anything life threatening.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Please don't call 999, it's not warranted in this instance and you have other options that you haven't tried yet.

I'm not familiar with the numbers in the UK, what's the difference between 999 and 111? Is 999 like our 911, emergency response only?

@CurleyCockney 111 is for out of hours - e.g when GP surgeries are closed during weekends, evenings and public holidays. 999 is like your 911 for life threatening emergencies only.

Maybe 999 in the UK and 911 in the US are not the same? 911 in the US is not strictly for life threatening emergencies. It's the only emergency number (police, fire, medical) for a wide variety of "emergencies"...including for things as simple as welfare checks.

no you dont call 911 in the us to have a welfare check done. you call either the dept of health and human resources or the police non emergency line. 911 in the US is for all kinds of emergencies that is correct,but its also for anything life threatening.

Depending on the situation, the 911 system does handle welfare checks. I have been on my fair share of welfare checks, especially if it is assumed the person is deceased.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Some GP practices only do on the day appointments, no advance bookings. I have a few friends in that situation. You have to get on the phone BEFORE they open and keep hitting redial continuously so you can try and get in first. You might have to do it for a few days. It's a ridiculous situation but that's the way it at some practices.

So pick a different practice.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Some GP practices only do on the day appointments, no advance bookings. I have a few friends in that situation. You have to get on the phone BEFORE they open and keep hitting redial continuously so you can try and get in first. You might have to do it for a few days. It's a ridiculous situation but that's the way it at some practices.

So pick a different practice.

OP said he lives in a small village if I'm not mistaken. Probably there aren't other practices.

I live in a city and there are only 2 practices.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't believe that there is only one practice within a 1-2 hour public transit ride from where the OP lives.

OP, while calling 999 doesn't sound like a good idea, nothing is stopping you from busing/train/whatever to the local hospital emergency room and walking in there. You might have to wait for 12 hours or so (could be more, could be less), but they will see you eventually.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that there is only one practice within a 1-2 hour public transit ride from where the OP lives.

It doesn't work like this in the UK. You get registered with a surgery and you can only make appointments there. You can't just go to any surgery.
    In the UK the healthcare is free and we are talking about state surgeries (registered with the NHS)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

OP, while calling 999 doesn't sound like a good idea, nothing is stopping you from busing/train/whatever to the local hospital emergency room and walking in there. You might have to wait for 12 hours or so (could be more, could be less), but they will see you eventually.

Not sure the UK situation but in Canada there are many people without a family doctor (we don't have GP's in Ontario anymore FP is the primary practitioner and I think all other provinces are the same). If you give up your doctor in many areas you have nothing except walk-in and Emergency rooms, which aren't suitable for people who require pain management or have long-term treatment requirements.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

No can do. The surgery has a catchment area, you have to live within it to be registered and you have to be registered to get an appointment. NHS operates very differently to an insurance based system where they want your business as they run for profit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Depending on the situation, the 911 system does handle welfare checks. I have been on my fair share of welfare checks, especially if it is assumed the person is deceased.

well not where I live,you have to call DHHR, unless its an emergency and you suspect abuse,domestic violence,etc then you would call 911 otherwise no. but maybe its because neighbors here check on neighbors and so on.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

well not where I live,you have to call DHHR, unless its an emergency and you suspect abuse,domestic violence,etc then you would call 911 otherwise no. but maybe its because neighbors here check on neighbors and so on.

Wow.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited November 2016
    Options

Wow.

why wow? I live in a small town where the nearest police(sheriffs) station is in the next town(same county) and trying to get a policeman out here is like pulling teeth. it better be an emergency or they wont come out, if you call 911 and its not an emergency they can charge you with a false call.we have one town cop who is only on patrol during the day.thats what our DHHR is for among welfare and other things.for welfare checks you have to call the DHHR like I said.The state police is in the next town from the first one(5-10 miles from the sherriffs office)
    same with the fire station or rescue squad/ambulance. it has to be an emergency, the ambulance will come out if they think its an emergency or you dont have a way to get to the ER, but I also lived in another town where an old woman died and the only way anyone knew was the smell coming from her apt(sad I know). no one checked on her in that town(I dont live there now) but the police will only come out if they deem it necessary/emergency.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Wow.

why wow? I live in a small town where the nearest police(sheriffs) station is in the next town(same county) and trying to get a policeman out here is like pulling teeth. it better be an emergency or they wont come out, if you call 911 and its not an emergency they can charge you with a false call.we have one town cop who is only on patrol during the day.thats what our DHHR is for among welfare and other things.for welfare checks you have to call the DHHR like I said.The state police is in the next town from the first one(5-10 miles from the sherriffs office)
    same with the fire station or rescue squad/ambulance. it has to be an emergency, the ambulance will come out if they think its an emergency or you dont have a way to get to the ER, but I also lived in another town where an old woman died and the only way anyone knew was the smell coming from her apt(sad I know). no one checked on her in that town(I dont live there now) but the police will only come out if they deem it necessary/emergency.

They can not refuse to come. They can fine you for a false call, but pd/FD/ems can NOT refuse to respond.