14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• Fayga
    Fayga Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dr or Nurse Practitioner is fine too. You may have calculated wrong or it may be a discrepancy in the scale you are using. Either way, best to let them do an assessment and then you'll take it from there together ! :)
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Can you travel or drive a little further to another location without the same day nonsense? :angry: That's crazy about those appointments. I hope you can get seen and sort your situation out soon

The same day nonsense would probably be less of a problem if OP didn't seem so entirely lethargic about getting actual medical attention. For example, he said that, knowing they fill up fast, he knew the lines opened at 8:30, but didn't ring til nine. Of course by then they were full!

I rang at 9 because that's when I was able to get out of work and I set my alarm today for 8:30 and was trying to ring but the line was busy until I got through at about 8:50 and tgen there were no appointments left so I said I called 111 and they told me I need an appointment within 3 days and the person on the phone said that's just a recommendation so I need to ring at 8:30 tomorrow then
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    And did you ask to speak to the Practice Manager? Or find out where your local walk-in centre is?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Can you travel or drive a little further to another location without the same day nonsense? :angry: That's crazy about those appointments. I hope you can get seen and sort your situation out soon

The same day nonsense would probably be less of a problem if OP didn't seem so entirely lethargic about getting actual medical attention. For example, he said that, knowing they fill up fast, he knew the lines opened at 8:30, but didn't ring til nine. Of course by then they were full!

I rang at 9 because that's when I was able to get out of work and I set my alarm today for 8:30 and was trying to ring but the line was busy until I got through at about 8:50 and tgen there were no appointments left so I said I called 111 and they told me I need an appointment within 3 days and the person on the phone said that's just a recommendation so I need to ring at 8:30 tomorrow then

have you asked for an emergency appointment, or a phone appointment?
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    The on-call GP providing emergency cover would have seen you.

Your nearest walk in centre would have seen you.

If your tale is true, you don't seem overly concerned, so I'm not sure why anyone else should be.

my thoughts exactly

I don't understand what on call gp they just tell me I need to phone again tomorrow and there isn't a walk in that I can get to as I don't drive
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

If your tale is true, you don't seem overly concerned, so I'm not sure why anyone else should be.

my thoughts exactly

I don't understand what on call gp they just tell me I need to phone again tomorrow and there isn't a walk in that I can get to as I don't drive

OP, do you live in the US? The law is that family insurance can cover their children up to 26 years old..

Your parents can help you get an appointment and you can visit your local Urgent Care Center as well as they can refer you for you to the appropriate doctor (they can can make the appt before you leave)..

Most states have a local free medical center, even the ER.. no one can turn you down for treatment.

Sounds like excuses and not alot of effort to take charge of you health.. Not sure how much more any of these kind folks can help you out when you turn down all practical advice..
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP, my boyfriend's practice is like yours (only do appointments on the day). You need to get on the phone as soon as they open (if I were you, I'd even start calling before 8.30 and hang up and call again if the message says not open yet.) And if they tell you they're full, tell them you've spent several days trying to get an appointment and explain the situation, and that you really need to see a Dr soon. They might be able to fit you in as an emergency.

If you don't drive, perhaps one of your parents could take you to a walk-in clinic, or you could get a bus?
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'd see a doctor and ask his advice. If he does a blood test and you're healthy then you might be on the far end of the bell curve in terms of body type. But it sounds like you need some more weight, even if it's just muscle.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    bex10milf wrote: »
    Dramatic weight loss in my experience only ever equals cancer.. sorry dude!! If this is a real post which I doubt as you seem to be getting off on people giving you attention then you'd sort yourself out. All this bull about you "forgetting" to make an appointment is rubbish. You have no intention of helping yourself. I suspect serious mental health issues, i.e. Anorexia

Dramatic weightloss does not have to equal cancer, but it is a medical concern. My nephew (at 15) dropped weight fast. Turns out he has Type 1 diabetes. They caught it just in time but his bloodsugar level were dangerously high.
    OP sort it out please. A BMI of 14.5 is at all times a serious healthconcern. There is just not enough of you to sustain you that way. Sudden weightloss is never a good sign and should have medical attention
    Forgetting to make appointments is just playing russian roulette with your health and possibly your life
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

my thoughts exactly

OP, do you live in the US? The law is that family insurance can cover their children up to 26 years old..

Your parents can help you get an appointment and you can visit your local Urgent Care Center as well as they can refer you for you to the appropriate doctor (they can can make the appt before you leave)..

Most states have a local free medical center, even the ER.. no one can turn you down for treatment.

Sounds like excuses and not alot of effort to take charge of you health.. Not sure how much more any of these kind folks can help you out when you turn down all practical advice..

I live in the uk
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    katiebean wrote: »
    OP, my boyfriend's practice is like yours (only do appointments on the day). You need to get on the phone as soon as they open (if I were you, I'd even start calling before 8.30 and hang up and call again if the message says not open yet.) And if they tell you they're full, tell them you've spent several days trying to get an appointment and explain the situation, and that you really need to see a Dr soon. They might be able to fit you in as an emergency.

If you don't drive, perhaps one of your parents could take you to a walk-in clinic, or you could get a bus?

Nobody in my house drives and when I told them I was told by 111 I need an appointment within 3 days that's not enough I have to tell them what is actually wrong they usually ask when you book an appointment but as there hasn't been any they haven't asked
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nobody in my house drives and when I told them I was told by 111 I need an appointment within 3 days that's not enough I have to tell them what is actually wrong they usually ask when you book an appointment but as there hasn't been any they haven't asked

For goodness' sake, STOP FAFFING AROUND. RING THEM TOMORROW AND IF THEY TELL YOU THEY'RE FULL TELL THEM IT'S AN EMERGENCY AND EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM! PROPERLY!

I've told OP numerous times to ask for an emergency appointment, but he hasn't...

time for a flogging a dead horse gif me thinks....
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

For goodness' sake, STOP FAFFING AROUND. RING THEM TOMORROW AND IF THEY TELL YOU THEY'RE FULL TELL THEM IT'S AN EMERGENCY AND EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM! PROPERLY!

OK I'm sorry I don't really understand but I've never had any issues that are serious so I don't know how things work I am trying clearly not enough from your message I just didn't realise I'm not a very assertive person that's why I haven't been forceful with the Dr's
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Hi Rogue, I read you are 20, It can be tough for many of us putting our foot down with doctors receptionists, some are dragons, trained to protect doctors from time wasters. Its tough when you are away from family, assumption.

Please if you are close enough, walk into that doctors practice and just tell them over the desk, you need to be seen because of this unexplained weight loss. I would doubt very much that they can refuse you. All the very best.