14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.
    Surely appt's aren't made on a ring up that day only basis.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.

I don't understand why, if this thread is real, why OP hasnt got an emergency appointment and why no one in OPs life has noticed the weight loss and commented...

OP also doesn't seem at all bothered by his weight so I call :trollface:

Maye OP is a troll. How has no one in your life noticed if you are so emaciated? How do you work? Surely your co workers would notice something is wrong.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.

Yeah there on a ring that day only basis

So you're entire town can only book an appointment for the day they ring? I find this unlikely. I live in the UK and i know that every doctors I have ever rang or been to allows you to book for future days - it may not be soon, but it's an appointment.

this is exactly my experience of calling my UK GP.

I haven't needed one in a while but my options are:

call 8.30 am and hope to get an appointment that day, if it's an emergency they'll fit you in (I decided the tracking/potential scepticaemia was an emergency, and after prescribing horse-sized antibiotics the GP told me 'if it gets worse, go to A&E)

Call later and get an appointment for a couple of weeks time

call and book a telephone appointment (yup, this may not be for a couple of weeks time either)

book online.

Most surgeries also have one evening surgery a week and occasional Saturdays.

Plus there's the option of phoning the non-emergency 111 number, going to a walk-in clinic/minor injuries unit, or A&E if you have nothing to do for a few hours (these last are great, except the fact that they'll tell you to book an appointment with your GP)
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »

Yeah there on a ring that day only basis

So you're entire town can only book an appointment for the day they ring? I find this unlikely. I live in the UK and i know that every doctors I have ever rang or been to allows you to book for future days - it may not be soon, but it's an appointment.

Every time I ring they just say sorry there are no appointments left today ring tomorrow the lines open at 8:30
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

I don't understand why, if this thread is real, why OP hasnt got an emergency appointment and why no one in OPs life has noticed the weight loss and commented...

Maye OP is a troll. How has no one in your life noticed if you are so emaciated? How do you work? Surely your co workers would notice something is wrong.

I don't know I don't think I look that bad I'm certainly skinny but I don't think I look like a skeleton I also only wear baggy clothes so noticing how skinny I am is probably quite difficult
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

The reason I seem like I am not bothered is because I don't notice anything causing me issues I just was interested in what my bmi was it said I was underweight so I asked on here if it was bad people say it is so i keep ringing the Dr's and they keep saying they are full I don't really understand what else I can do if I can't see a Dr
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

The reason I seem like I am not bothered is because I don't notice anything causing me issues I just was interested in what my bmi was it said I was underweight so I asked on here if it was bad people say it is so i keep ringing the Dr's and they keep saying they are full I don't really understand what else I can do if I can't see a Dr

So you started off underweight (136@6'1) and dropped 26 pounds in 2 months (about 3.25lb/week) with no apparent reason and you didn't see any reason to worry? So seeing your heart beat in your chest and noticing that your upper arm is roughly the same diameter as your wrists and that your ribs are clearly visible doesn't seem to indicate anything is wrong? Ok, I'm just going to wander off and say best of luck.

My upper arms are not the same as my wrists and my ribs are not visible and I certainly have never noticed seeing my heartbeat in my chest
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You have major body dysmorphia if you don't see yourself as very underweight at BMI 14.5.

Or OPs scales are wrong and he isn't actually so under weight as I can't believe for a second that there are no noticable signs of OP having a BMI of 14.5
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    hey rogue, 14.5 is very dangerous and God forbid, you can end up hospitalized... have you always been underweight or is this loss over a time from a higher weight

I have always been pretty skinny I dunno if I would say underweight I've dropped from about 9st10 (I think it was) in about 2 months

Based on this, doctor, pronto.

This. We have a friend who had stomach cancer and his only symptom was unexplained weight loss.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

So you started off underweight (136@6'1) and dropped 26 pounds in 2 months (about 3.25lb/week) with no apparent reason and you didn't see any reason to worry? So seeing your heart beat in your chest and noticing that your upper arm is roughly the same diameter as your wrists and that your ribs are clearly visible doesn't seem to indicate anything is wrong? Ok, I'm just going to wander off and say best of luck.

My upper arms are not the same as my wrists and my ribs are not visible and I certainly have never noticed seeing my heartbeat in my chest

Funny, when I was around 16-18 BMI I certainly saw those issue, how is it that you don't?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    See a doctor right away. If your body doesn't have enough fat, and doesn't get enough calories, it will fuel itself with other tissues. That includes your organs. Being underweight (and as severely underweight as you are) is very dangerous. More dangerous than being overweight.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

Funny, when I was around 16-18 BMI I certainly saw those issue, how is it that you don't?

I don't know I am just saying what I see maybe I'm looking at myself and not seeing what others might but I don't know
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Can you post a photo?
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

I don't know I am just saying what I see maybe I'm looking at myself and not seeing what others might but I don't know

I have 5.5" wrists and about 9"upper arms I maybe can see my ribs a little on the side s when I breath and my I think it's called breastbone is quite noticeable but definitely can't see my heart beat in my chest
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself on a friends scales. If you're the same weight, book the first available appointment with your GP and call 111 if it's in the future. No reason not to call 111 at that weight.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    Can you post a photo?
    Can you post a photo?

slgdscqudx5l.jpg