14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• AugustHorizons
    AugustHorizons Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    At this point I'd even recommend going to A&E as this is definitely an emergency. They might just tell you to see your doctor but it's definitely better than doing nothing.

Hope you're able to get seen to asap. Let us know how it goes.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    @RogueDeer5

Your profile says you're 20. Do you still live at home? Can you talk to your parents about this?
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @RogueDeer5

Your profile says you're 20. Do you still live at home? Can you talk to your parents about this?

Yeah I still live with my parents although I don't have the greatest relationship with them as little interaction with them the better
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    This amount of unintended, unexplained weight loss in a couple of months, especially in someone who was underweight to begin with and is now dangerously underweight, is very serious. You need to take it seriously, and make the person who makes appointments at the surgery take it seriously. Tell them exactly what has happened (how much weight, what amount of time) and your current weight.

In the meantime, I hope you have started eating more. Like, at least twice the amount of food you have been eating. Add three eggs along with your morning cereal, and switch to a higher % fat if you're putting milk on your cereal (even switching to light cream on your cereal would be a good choice for you at this point). Have the chicken wrap and the peanut butter wrap for lunch, and put an avocado on the chicken wrap. Have a bigger bowl of pasta. If you're not putting sauce, cheese, and some kind of meat (sausage, meatballs, ground beef, chicken if that's what you like) on your pasta, start doing that. Have some dessert.

The pasta I eat is like ravioli sort of thing so stuffed pasta basically always with sauce and usually with cheese too and the portions of that are more than it says to have for one person
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »
    This amount of unintended, unexplained weight loss in a couple of months, especially in someone who was underweight to begin with and is now dangerously underweight, is very serious. You need to take it seriously, and make the person who makes appointments at the surgery take it seriously. Tell them exactly what has happened (how much weight, what amount of time) and your current weight.

In the meantime, I hope you have started eating more. Like, at least twice the amount of food you have been eating. Add three eggs along with your morning cereal, and switch to a higher % fat if you're putting milk on your cereal (even switching to light cream on your cereal would be a good choice for you at this point). Have the chicken wrap and the peanut butter wrap for lunch, and put an avocado on the chicken wrap. Have a bigger bowl of pasta. If you're not putting sauce, cheese, and some kind of meat (sausage, meatballs, ground beef, chicken if that's what you like) on your pasta, start doing that. Have some dessert.

The pasta I eat is like ravioli sort of thing so stuffed pasta basically always with sauce and usually with cheese too and the portions of that are more than it says to have for one person

I always eat more than one serving of basically everything I eat!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Were you able to get in there today?

Not actually sure if it was today or yesterday I rang up if it was yesterday then I forgot to ring today

It was yesterday. You are dangerously underweight. Please get help quickly. Is it still early enough to call today and ask for an emergency appointment?

No it's too late now

its not too late call tomorrow or find a clinic with late hours maybe?

I live in a small town it's the only Dr's I think but I may be able to call tomorrow not sure if they take call on the weekend

if not do they have an urgent care center or something? can you go to a bigger area and see a dr? I dont know how it works over the pond.

There's no urgent care that I know of and don't know if I can go to another Dr's I don't really know how it works either

Try and see if there's a walk-in clinic at a local community hospital, you won't really be able to go to a different doctors surgery than your own.

Another consideration to do right away is phoning 111. That's the non-emergency number for the NHS (as opposed to dialling 999). It's free to call and available 24hours. You will be able to talk to someone who can assess your needs and point you in the direction of best medical help. That may be advice to see your GP so you should carry on trying to get an appointment with them. Most surgeries have weekend opening (Saturdays)
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I might consider asking about thyroid conditions if you're having trouble putting on weight.
  • AugustHorizons
    AugustHorizons Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Any luck with an appointment?
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

Nope just rang up again and no appointments again the line opens at 8:30 I rang at 9 and there was no appointments left
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Nope just rang up again and no appointments again the line opens at 8:30 I rang at 9 and there was no appointments left

why did you not set an alarm for 8.30?

As I said earlier in the thread - phone 111. Now. they don 't have any form of time deadlines.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

why did you not set an alarm for 8.30?

As I said earlier in the thread - phone 111. Now. they don 't have any form of time deadlines.

I'm at work just on a break
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.
    Surely appt's aren't made on a ring up that day only basis.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    I dont understand this - if you ring up and they are booked out for the day, can't you make an appt for the day after - at least you would get seen this week.
    Surely appt's aren't made on a ring up that day only basis.

and, yes I agree with everyone else - sudden unexplained weight loss is a symptom of serious problems - your underweight status is a health risk in itself but the underlying cause also needs to be found out and treated.

Yeah there on a ring that day only basis
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If what you are saying is true then you should be more concerned than you are. I'm also in the UK and my doctors is a call on the day too but if you explain you are really concerned about something then they will usually find a way to have you seen.

If they only have nurses appointments available then take one. At least then you are getting seen and I am sure that a nurse would recognise how serious this could be and you will then be guaranteed to see a doctor.

You still live at home, even if the relationship with your parents isn't great.....you still live there so it can't be so bad that they have kicked you out. Speak to them and say you have lost a lot of weight and don't know why but can't get to see a doctor. As a mother......I know I would make sure my son got to see a doctor in no time at all!
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Then ask to book an appointment in the future, just ask when the next available appointment is, even if it isn't on that day?!