14.5 bmi is this too low?

Options

Replies

• Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thats pretty low, eat more food, seek some medical help with a dietician at your doctors for support :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You I'm adding myself to the "See a doctor" chorus. You are dangerously underweight and have lost a lot of weight very rapidly.
  • RogueDeer5
    RogueDeer5 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How do I go about seeing my Dr just ring up and say what?
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    RogueDeer5 wrote: »

"Hey I've lost a ton of weight in two months and I don't know why, I really need an appointment to figure out what's wrong."

Yeah now you say it it's pretty simple now do you think it would matter if it was a Dr or a nurse I saw
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

"Hey I've lost a ton of weight in two months and I don't know why, I really need an appointment to figure out what's wrong."

Yeah now you say it it's pretty simple now do you think it would matter if it was a Dr or a nurse I saw

Definitely see a doctor. If you have a family doctor who's unable to see you soon I'd still make an appointment and I'd also suggest going into a walk-in clinic if you have one of those around you.

Well ill have to wait till the morning to ring up as it's midnight but if I can't get a Dr just get an appointment for when I can?
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Definitely see a doctor. If you have a family doctor who's unable to see you soon I'd still make an appointment and I'd also suggest going into a walk-in clinic if you have one of those around you.

Well ill have to wait till the morning to ring up as it's midnight but if I can't get a Dr just get an appointment for when I can?

Where you talking about seeing a Nurse Practitioner? As in have a license to prescribe, order lab work, and make referrals to a registered dietician? When you call, let them know you have lost nearly 30lbs in 2 months, you don't know why, and you are worried for your health and safety. Unexpected rapid weight loss can be a sign of several concerning illnesses. On the other hand it could be that you aren't eating enough.

Hopefully, if they realize how serious you are they can get you in earlier. Sometimes they are able to shuffle people around to fit someone in. If they have a Nurse Practitioner who can order everything for you and get things rolling, that would be better than seeing no one. Then set up an appointment with the doc to have the results and for follow up. Check with the office, your system is different from here.

ETA: You really need to be seen soon (as in days).

Yeah I live in a fairly small UK town and so I have a small Dr's surgery that usually a serious issue you see a Dr not so serious see a nurse and to see a Dr it's first come first serve on the day of ringing unless they deem it a very serious issue
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Call them first thing in the morning. It is much tougher when you are in an area that is underserviced. This is a pretty important situation though. Make an appointment with the doc, and then try to get in to the nurse if you can't get into the doc right away. At least start getting some help and guidance. Maybe if the nurse is concerned enough they can get you in to the doc quicker.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    Call them first thing in the morning. It is much tougher when you are in an area that is underserviced. This is a pretty important situation though. Make an appointment with the doc, and then try to get in to the nurse if you can't get into the doc right away. At least start getting some help and guidance. Maybe if the nurse is concerned enough they can get you in to the doc quicker.

Yeah I'll ring first thing in the morning
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Good. I'm glad to hear that. Feel free to update us.
  • RogueDeer5
    Options

Will do
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Will do

Thank you and huge hugs!!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Will do

Best wishes for you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Good luck, man! I wish you all the best.

Do everything that you can to become healthy again. Being this underweight can really bite you in your butt eventually...and those healthy issues will stay with you throughout your life. It is not worth it.

Pick higher calorie foods such as fattier meats, nuts, full fat dairy. go ahead and pick up ice cream and cookies/biscuits/cake. Set your mfp profile to gain weight, and it wouldn't hurt to pick up a weight gainer shake.

You can do this!
  • RogueDeer5
    Options
    Well I rang the Dr's but their full so gotta try again tomorrow
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well I rang the Dr's but their full so gotta try again tomorrow

ask for either an emergency appointment, or a phone appointment.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are seeking help, being 6'1" and 14.5BMI is even more underweight than someone who is say 5'6" and 14.5 BMI because of the skew on the calculations. A person who is taller should naturally gravitate to a higher BMI because of the way humans scale up as they get taller. Hopefully, there isn't anything medically wrong and you can just gain weight normally by eating more.