Replies

• pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Thanks to @effing_steve .... Skin
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Do people really get sad when celebrities die? I mean other than death being a sad thing in general.

I can't tell if it's just an act, maybe out of respect for the deceased, or if people genuinely feel upset when a celebrity does.

I don't feel anything, even if they were an icon. Maybe of moment of "oh that sucks". Anyone care to explain?

Two musicians died recently, Glen Campbell and Don Williams, that made me realize that my childhood/teen influencers are dying off. So I decided to go see another one in concert before he dies.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

I don't see what's so gross about it.

Attached to a person...fine...once it is off of a person I am out!!!
  • CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Awe maan
    siv1ci2l32a8.png
    Thought this was the 'what do you find attractive' thread but i like the joke so it stays
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    @MeeseeksAndDestroy My parents divorced in the early 90s, I was 9... I was raised largely by a single mother and we had little money, renting movies on the weekends was something we enjoyed and Robin Williams movie's helped us get through what was a very difficult time for us all...

I love Mrs Doubtfire but it still tugs on the heartstrings

So it's not so much about the person as it is an attachment to the memories?

The man was a gift from God, not to idolize him but I think you get what I mean when I say that...

He's a part of those memories...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    @MeeseeksAndDestroy My parents divorced in the early 90s, I was 9... I was raised largely by a single mother and we had little money, renting movies on the weekends was something we enjoyed and Robin Williams movie's helped us get through what was a very difficult time for us all...

I get this as I was going through the same thing at the same time. I still associate that movie with what I was going through.

Yeah same here, it hits pretty close to home... Especially since I'm from the bay area
  • unfilterednate
    unfilterednate Posts: 905 Member
    Options

The man was a gift from God, not to idolize him but I think you get what I mean when I say that...

Thanks for sharing. I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings or judge you. Just trying to understand the process of developing that kind of attachment to someone you don't know.

I can only relate to this when I think of historical figures or people I've come to respect thru their contributions to fields of study that interest me.

But attributing that admiration for who was basically a gloried pimp? Just not for me. Is it arguable ? Sure but not for me.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

Thanks for sharing. I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings or judge you. Just trying to understand the process of developing that kind of attachment to someone you don't know.

We were both young but do you remember when Princess Diana died?

Everyone on tv was crying - I'd never seen anything like it and I didn't understand at all.

I remember when I was standing in our den when it was announced on TV
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options

I get this as I was going through the same thing at the same time. I still associate that movie with what I was going through.

This is fascinating and maybe a different subject entirely. The idea of attaching personal memories and emotions to a movie/actor or other seemingly unrelated things.

This is definitely true, people do it with songs and smells all the time. I have a few movies with this attachment too.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @TeacupsAndToning our cold black hearts can freeze together and I'd be ok with that :heart:

Yes please.

Freeze us like Walt Disney. Then we can terrorize people in the year 3000.

Or like Ted Williams. Google it.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    Do people really get sad when celebrities die? I mean other than death being a sad thing in general.

I can't tell if it's just an act, maybe out of respect for the deceased, or if people genuinely feel upset when a celebrity does.

I don't feel anything, even if they were an icon. Maybe of moment of "oh that sucks". Anyone care to explain?

Two musicians died recently, Glen Campbell and Don Williams, that made me realize that my childhood/teen influencers are dying off. So I decided to go see another one in concert before he dies.

That's a smart way to deal with it. Does Canada provide concert tickets with their unemployment checks? :wink:

No but I'm able to work the system and sell some of my entitlements and use the cash for concert tickets and bar crawls.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @TeacupsAndToning our cold black hearts can freeze together and I'd be ok with that :heart:

Yes please.

Freeze us like Walt Disney. Then we can terrorize people in the year 3000.

Or like Ted Williams. Google it.

Gah

1rnqi4nl0jyn.png

You're welcome.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    one step forward and two steps back.....

MC Skat Kat! Now there's a celebrity I'd hate to see die.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I agree with this 100%. Not having deep sorrow when someone you don't know dies is totally normal and natural.

Exactly! Can you imagine if how insane we would be if we let every single death affect us so deeply? I have a wall built up in my mind that keeps me from getting emotional. I'm tough as nails when I'm in work mode, outside of work I'm a big baby.
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My family and friends from PR