What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    nothing a bit of sunshine, a bike ride and some music blasting in your ears won't fix
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,206 Member
    Options
    Istanbul is crawling with cats. I witnessed a grey and a black one standing off and start to fight just outside a restaurant near city center. I broke it up and gently shoo'd the grey one a little further down the street before they caused a scene, only to witness the black cat go seeking after the grey one. Sigh. Who new cats can be like humans and not just let something go.

Istanbul is such an awesome city

I don't know. The borough with the hotel I'm staying at honestly just feels like New York City with with a few differences, the most obvious one being the serious language barrier. Methinks travelling is overrated. Dropping myself in a foreign country whose language I don't understand and making things infinitely more difficult for myself? Who in the world said traveling was the bee's knees? I'd like to tell them too kindly *kitten* right off. There's absolutely nothing this place has that America doesn't already offer to me. The Blue Mosque? I could have seen that in a book at the library without spending tons of money to see it with my own eyes while being pestered by scammers and pushy hustlers at the city center.

I can assure you Istanbul has so much more than America has. It saddens me that you think seeing something in a book is better than in person. Travelling is about experiencing the culture and the differences and seeing wonders. The Hagia Sophia cannot be replicated in a book, the sheer insanity of traffic in the streets of Istanbul cannot be replicated anywhere!

Travelling to me is about seeing how other live. My favourite city to visit us Vienna because I have friends there so I can get the inside locals tour. I love taking people on tours of my city even. Adventure is what keeps life interesting

I've been thinking about these things. I dunno.. I think the language barrier has been a major cause for increasing frustration and has kinda dampened the experience and mood. The rare occasions I do run into someone who speaks one of the languages I speak, we talk, laugh, I notice my mood elevates. Hey - we humans are sociable creatures, no? Sometimes being alone can be enjoyable, but go too long alone and.. perhaps not so enjoyable

As for Istanbul.. I prescribed for myself 19 days in Turkey. I've enjoyed maybe 3 out of the 7 days I've spent in Istanbul. There are the things about the city that give it an oriental touch, the cuisine is ok. I do like the old-world cobble streets. But besides the few peculiar places of interest here and there, it seems like mostly a conrete jungle of bland concrete buildings, and like the majority of the city is a giant bazaar or market with bodega after bodega everywhere one looks. I've been starting to think Hawaii would've been a better travel destination

Am I still being too harsh 😬? Am I blind, and so far still just unable to unearth the hidden gems of this city which make it magical to others 🤔

Today I have departed Istanbul for other parts of the country. I'm hoping to run into greater number of people I can actually interact with, enjoy my time better, and find some adventure.

While the market in Istanbul is spectacular, as a woman I didn't feel comfortable there. But I didn't marvel at the sheer wonder if it all and all the different things like all the Turkish delight!

Where are you off to next? We hit Ephesus when we were there. I love ruins. We also went to a pottery place, got the required hand painted bowl set and we saw the Temple of Diana which is only a column basically in a field but it was neat seeing a wonder if the world and imaging it's grandeur back in the day. There were people begging there but there just Europe. They think tourists are all American and suckers

Hopefully you can find some locals to chat with. Usually it's easy to find the ones who have been studying English and want to practice
  • Alinouveau2
    Options
    Istanbul is crawling with cats. I witnessed a grey and a black one standing off and start to fight just outside a restaurant near city center. I broke it up and gently shoo'd the grey one a little further down the street before they caused a scene, only to witness the black cat go seeking after the grey one. Sigh. Who new cats can be like humans and not just let something go.

I don't know. The borough with the hotel I'm staying at honestly just feels like New York City with with a few differences, the most obvious one being the serious language barrier. Methinks travelling is overrated. Dropping myself in a foreign country whose language I don't understand and making things infinitely more difficult for myself? Who in the world said traveling was the bee's knees? I'd like to tell them too kindly *kitten* right off. There's absolutely nothing this place has that America doesn't already offer to me. The Blue Mosque? I could have seen that in a book at the library without spending tons of money to see it with my own eyes while being pestered by scammers and pushy hustlers at the city center.

I can assure you Istanbul has so much more than America has. It saddens me that you think seeing something in a book is better than in person. Travelling is about experiencing the culture and the differences and seeing wonders. The Hagia Sophia cannot be replicated in a book, the sheer insanity of traffic in the streets of Istanbul cannot be replicated anywhere!

Travelling to me is about seeing how other live. My favourite city to visit us Vienna because I have friends there so I can get the inside locals tour. I love taking people on tours of my city even. Adventure is what keeps life interesting

I've been thinking about these things. I dunno.. I think the language barrier has been a major cause for increasing frustration and has kinda dampened the experience and mood. The rare occasions I do run into someone who speaks one of the languages I speak, we talk, laugh, I notice my mood elevates. Hey - we humans are sociable creatures, no? Sometimes being alone can be enjoyable, but go too long alone and.. perhaps not so enjoyable

As for Istanbul.. I prescribed for myself 19 days in Turkey. I've enjoyed maybe 3 out of the 7 days I've spent in Istanbul. There are the things about the city that give it an oriental touch, the cuisine is ok. I do like the old-world cobble streets. But besides the few peculiar places of interest here and there, it seems like mostly a conrete jungle of bland concrete buildings, and like the majority of the city is a giant bazaar or market with bodega after bodega everywhere one looks. I've been starting to think Hawaii would've been a better travel destination

Am I still being too harsh 😬? Am I blind, and so far still just unable to unearth the hidden gems of this city which make it magical to others 🤔

Today I have departed Istanbul for other parts of the country. I'm hoping to run into greater number of people I can actually interact with, enjoy my time better, and find some adventure.

Sorry, but I think you are lacking in culture. I was there years ago and still remember the marvels I saw. The ancient Constantinople, and what's left of the Roman presence---mosaics especially are breathtaking. I do live in Rome and have an appreciation for art. The mosques we saw were lovely. Santa Sofia is an architectual wonder--if you take the time to discover it's story. Perhaps you needed to invest in a knowledgeable guide.

I found the people to be very friendly and the food was very good. When you pick a destination for a trip you need to know something about the place, or be willing to learn and explore "on site". Just a tip for your next trip.

Yes to the bold! I went in there knowing nothing really and fell in love once I heard it's history. It's incredible and it is spectacular to simply look at
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Reading the Istanbul posts has me thinking I really would love the chance(courage, safety, money, opportunity, etc.) to travel. Maybe not there but so many other places in this beautiful world to explore. :/
  • Alinouveau2
    Options
    Wanderlust too!
    Ive promised a trip to London for my boy for awhile, but there's so many other places to visit too! I suspect he'll fall in love with England
  • Unsafe__Space
    Unsafe__Space Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I think you are lacking in culture. I was there years ago and still remember the marvels I saw. The ancient Constantinople, and what's left of the Roman presence---mosaics especially are breathtaking. I do live in Rome and have an appreciation for art. The mosques we saw were lovely. Santa Sofia is an architectual wonder--if you take the time to discover it's story. Perhaps you needed to invest in a knowledgeable guide.

I found the people to be very friendly and the food was very good. When you pick a destination for a trip you need to know something about the place, or be willing to learn and explore "on site". Just a tip for your next trip.

Yes to the bold! I went in there knowing nothing really and fell in love once I heard it's history. It's incredible and it is spectacular to simply look at

I still have time, and it's not too late to invest in a guide, re-sift through Istanbul when I'm there again a later day. The mosaics? I looked at some of it on google.. I like that kind of art and am pursposing to have a look in-person.

Where to next? Antalya :)

I don't think I'll be going. I'm familiar with Biblical history, and I'd sure have liked to visit some of the other cities which apostle Paul passed through. This temple of diana that you speak of? Well, there was quite a tense situation over diana, the apostle Paul, etc (Book of Acts, 19).
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Wanderlust too!
    Ive promised a trip to London for my boy for awhile, but there's so many other places to visit too! I suspect he'll fall in love with England

You should start making concrete plans!

England is one of those places I'd love to visit, along with Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, all across the U.S., and into Canada. And that's merely the beginning of my list. :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

I still have time, and it's not too late to invest in a guide, re-sift through Istanbul when I'm there again a later day. The mosaics? I looked at some of it on google.. I like that kind of art and am pursposing to have a look in-person.

I don't think I'll be going. I'm familiar with Biblical history, and I'd sure have liked to visit some of the other cities which apostle Paul passed through. This temple of diana that you speak of? Well, there was quite a tense situation over diana, the apostle Paul, etc (Book of Acts, 19).

One of my hopes for the future is to go back and see Cappa Doccia. A Christian city dug into the hills with caves on all levels and beautiful afrescos and includes 3 churches. From the programs I have seen, it's a wonder. There are also lovely beaches.
  • Unsafe__Space
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Reading the Istanbul posts has me thinking I really would love the chance(courage, safety, money, opportunity, etc.) to travel. Maybe not there but so many other places in this beautiful world to explore. :/

Let's hear of the places you would like to see 🙂
  • Alinouveau2
    edited April 2022
    Options

We didn't do the religious stuff. We just went for the old stuff 😂 and to marvel at the beauty. I also love exploring ruins so take me anywhere people used to live and it's now in ruins and I'm
    happy.

Btw I suspect you'll enjoy Antalya. Being a resort town I bet there will be lots of locals happy to chat and I envision lots of patios for drinks and food. Ooooh have some shakshuka although I think they call it something else in Turkey
  • Alinouveau2
    Options
    Wanderlust too!

You should start making concrete plans!

England is one of those places I'd love to visit, along with Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, all across the U.S., and into Canada. And that's merely the beginning of my list. :)

We aren't planners haha. So once it's safer to travel (one of us has lung issues so we just be careful) we will. I've been to England a million times and look like a local so that's why it's an easy trip. Scotland us beautiful and I want to head up there too to the Isle of Harris since that's my boy's name!
  • Alinouveau2
    Options
    Why did I decided to make so much?
    Also condescending little boys
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @ReenieHJ I like your list. If you need a travel partner I am in!
    My DH will not fly, so USA for us only. (3 to 5 years is our retirement goal then travel is in the plan. I think Alaska is the 1st destination)
    I have been to Europe a couple times and look forward to a return. All of the countries on your list would surely be enjoyable.
  • Unsafe__Space
    Options
    My DH will not fly, so USA for us only. (3 to 5 years is our retirement goal then travel is in the plan. I think Alaska is the 1st destination)
    I have been to Europe a couple times and look forward to a return. All of the countries on your list would surely be enjoyable.

Alaska does not disappoint. I've actually lived there at one point, and have visited recently.

@Alinouveau2 waking up the first morning in Antalya. Without hesitation I like this place better than Istanbul. Less hectic. And that mountain range along the coastline 😍. I'm a mountains + forests guy, but when I get a combination of mountains meet ocean? It's a dream.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

Alaska is definitely on my list as well.

I went to Iceland a could years ago, right before Covid was a thing. Amazing place and I'm so happy I had that opportunity. We visited the southern part, but I'd love to return and see the northern part as well. I'd also like to see the Farro Islands. Italy. Egypt. Thailand. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    Options

Alaska does not disappoint. I've actually lived there at one point, and have visited recently.

@Alinouveau2 waking up the first morning in Antalya. Without hesitation I like this place better than Istanbul. Less hectic. And that mountain range along the coastline 😍. I'm a mountains + forests guy, but when I get a combination of mountains meet ocean? It's a dream.

Where did you live in Alaska?
    I hope one day to actually make it there.
  • Alinouveau2
    Options

So you just needed tour happy space!
    I am a city person...I like the hustle and bustle and "electricity" that you feel in a city. Granted I do also love ocean and mountain cause it means lots of hiking and exploring of a different kind.

But clearly you just needed to find the space that makes you happy and I'm glad that you did. All we are saying is give Turkey a chance! 😂
  • Unsafe__Space
    edited April 2022
    Options

Where did you live in Alaska?
    I hope one day to actually make it there.

Wasilla. Visiting is one thing, but 10/10 would not want to live in Alaska again. It's beautiful country, but the daylight hours are short in the winter, and in the summer it never gets completely dark. That kind of thing would drive me crazy if I had to live in it again.
  • Unsafe__Space
    Options
    This is vacation. We don't do diets on vacation. We come with abs visibility and leave with an airbag on our midsection.
  • Unsafe__Space
    edited April 2022
    Options

ReenieHJ, if a trip abroad was like an item which, after purchasing you realize you don't like it you can give it away, then I'd gladly give you the rest of my trip over here in Turkey. I wanna go home 😒.