What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,707 Member
    Options
    litha_ wrote: »
    road trip - should it be less planned and more go with the flow or should I plan it out more with exact destinations to reach on certain days.

I'm more go with the flow... maybe a rough plan but be flexible
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    cmsienk wrote: »
    road trip - should it be less planned and more go with the flow or should I plan it out more with exact destinations to reach on certain days.

Thank you. Food for thought. Normally fly -so want to make the most of the sights along the way, but not be stressed about it either.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,191 Member
    Options

Thank you. Food for thought. Normally fly -so want to make the most of the sights along the way, but not be stressed about it either.

Plan hotels and where you'll stay and then go with the flow in between because there's always neat things to find to explore. We have a rule that if we see a sign for something that looks interesting we stop. We have found some cute local museums and a strange rock and mineral museum. We found a naval base in the desert which was cool too. Oh and last road trip we sought out all the giant things like a giant axe and lobster!
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,494 Member
    Options
    So many people dropping dead.

Like.... they're walking and just, suddenly, drop dead? 😕

Basically, yes.
    Not really something to poke fun at though.
    There’s not a single thing funny about it.
  • Unsafe__Space
    Unsafe__Space Posts: 32 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

Basically, yes.

Oh I'm not poking fun by any means. That sounds like something out of a sci-fi horror film. Where is this happening? I've not heard anything yet.
  • Unsafe__Space
    Options
    Why does the salt and pepper at this restaurant seem to be almost devoid of flavor? I don't think I have covid because I can taste everything else. I need to attach a power drill to the end of this pepper grinder and rev it over my salad for a good 30 sec.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,191 Member
    Options
    Why didn't I get my skates sharpened today? Might make teaching someone that requires edges interesting tonight
  • litha_
    edited April 2022
    Options

Plan hotels and where you'll stay and then go with the flow in between because there's always neat things to find to explore. We have a rule that if we see a sign for something that looks interesting we stop. We have found some cute local museums and a strange rock and mineral museum. We found a naval base in the desert which was cool too. Oh and last road trip we sought out all the giant things like a giant axe and lobster!

Thank you for your take. It’s always fun to find something that ends up being a nice surprise that wasn’t planned. The preplanning where to stay is more what I was thinking about when musing out loud on here. I don’t like feeling stuck in case I find some place that ends up being an undiscovered treasure. I’m sure in the end it will all be fine and some memorable times made. 😊
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @litha
    Some of my best memories of past travels have been the unplanned or even wrong turn events.

Many years ago, planned a trip out west to Mount Rushmore then eventually heading to Yellowstone. We left Mount Rushmore, took a wrong turn and end up on Iron Mountain Road Tunnel. One lane pass with tunnels with view of the monument. You had to honk your horn and listen to make sure there was not another car heading in the opposite direction. Had no clue this even existed. It was awesome! This ended up taking use through a corner of Custer State Park where there are wild donkeys roaming the roads. Another unplanned trip. This unplanned excitement happened on the same day.

A day or two later, we rented a camping cabin in Cody, WY, unplanned, and saw a gun fight and had a drink (maybe more than one) at IRMA Buffalo Bills Hotel. It had the original bar that Queen Victoria gifted. (famous for their rodeo, but that was not taking place on or day of visit).

All of the above mentioned are not small off the wall sites, but they were to us. We didn't search them out and weren't aware of the popularity of the sites at that time. Just a perfect unplanned happenstance.

Some of the planned stops were not that great. (Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Steam Engine Train Ride)

I have been fortunate to have done quite a bit of travel and have so many unplanned memories. Retiring in the next 3 to 5 years and much travel is planned at that time. Can not wait to take the road less traveled or take a wrong turn to discover the unknown. (Even if well known to others :D )
  • Coupongrl79
    Coupongrl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I prefer go with the flow but I'm a fatty and I definitely like to lookup restaurants, bakeries, ice cream places ahead of time so I don't miss any of the good ones.
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,494 Member
    Options

Basically, yes.

Oh I'm not poking fun by any means. That sounds like something out of a sci-fi horror film. Where is this happening? I've not heard anything yet.

You either get it or you don’t.
    You are fortunate if you’ve not had previously healthy friends die.
    I have.
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Why does the salt and pepper at this restaurant seem to be almost devoid of flavor? I don't think I have covid because I can taste everything else. I need to attach a power drill to the end of this pepper grinder and rev it over my salad for a good 30 sec.

Maybe it's absorbed some moisture.
  • Unsafe__Space
    Options
    Wanna know a secret to making parallel parking easier? Neve try parking parallel by pulling into the spot with the front of your car. Pull past the spot and then back in.
  • Unsafe__Space
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Wanna know a secret to making parallel parking easier? Neve try parking parallel by pulling into the spot with the front of your car. Pull past the spot and then back in.

In Italy we'd say "Wow! you've discovered hot water"!

😌 i's proud of myself. Perhaps you've discovered fire already 🤷🏻‍♂️. But just recently I witness somebody painfully butchering a parallel parking job by doing it the other way. So.. there are still cavemen out here.
  • litha_
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @fatty2begone - That’s sound like you’ve made some really amazing memories. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on retiring soon. Traveling is what I would like to be able to do more of as well. It’s nice that soon you’ll have the time to be able to do that. Imo, it’d be cool to have a thread about travel experiences. The good, the bad, the ugly. Get ideas from others without getting to personal.

@Coupongrl79 - Experiencing the food of the locals is always something I enjoy. I’m of the mind, let’s give it a go. Sometimes, I’ll check online to see what has good reviews, but usually I’ll just talk to people in the area to get recommendations. Sometimes though that hasn’t worked out so well.🤣
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

😌 i's proud of myself. Perhaps you've discovered fire already 🤷🏻‍♂️. But just recently I witness somebody painfully butchering a parallel parking job by doing it the other way. So.. there are still cavemen out here.

Haven't seen Fred Flintstone driving around Rome recently. Where did you see this marvel? To pass a driving test, you need to parallel park.
  • Unsafe__Space
    Options

Haven't seen Fred Flintstone driving around Rome recently. Where did you see this marvel? To pass a driving test, you need to parallel park.

I'm in Turkey 🇹🇷. I'm sorry to say but I think half the population should have their driving privelages suspended for a month while they learn safe driving in driving school 😬
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

I'm in Turkey 🇹🇷. I'm sorry to say but I think half the population should have their driving privelages suspended for a month while they learn safe driving in driving school 😬

From what I know--they're worse drivers than the Italians. And if you've ever been here, you know that'd take some doing. :D
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    bad-driver-parking.gif