What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Being in the same hospital both my parents died in was pure hell. The triggers, the beeping machines, the smell, the heartbreaking memories. 🥺 The emotional toll was worse than the suffocating feeling of not being able to breathe.

Sorry for the unhappy thoughts, just needed to get that out.

Now I sleep...

i’m so sorry M 💔 i know those triggers very well
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    Being in the same hospital both my parents died in was pure hell. The triggers, the beeping machines, the smell, the heartbreaking memories. 🥺 The emotional toll was worse than the suffocating feeling of not being able to breathe.

Now I sleep...

We welcome happy and unhappy thoughts here. I'm sorry you had to experience that. We love you!!! Please take care of yourself. Xox
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 14,150 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    I saw Jack White in concert tonight.
    It was awesome. 🤘

I bet that was a great show - do you like that venue?

I do!
    The Criterion is a nice venue 😀
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,060 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    I saw Jack White in concert tonight.
    It was awesome. 🤘

I bet that was a great show - do you like that venue?

I do!
    The Criterion is a nice venue 😀

I’m excited to go in Dec ! Glad you had a good time
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,060 Member
    Options

Now I sleep...

Not everyday is rainbows and butterflies yo - feel your feels - gotta get that chit out sometimes - sleep well my friend
  • FeastRepeat
    FeastRepeat Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    Could one use “underlying” and “overarching” interchangeably?
  • TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

The visuals in the metaphors are different but I can’t think of a circumstance in which you couldn’t use either

I guess I think of underlying as being more of a cause and overarching being more of a theme but still…

Eta: this is why my boss needs to let me proof everything preferably before he sends it out
  • ermengarde22
    Options

no bc they mean different things
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If anyone wants me to deactivate just start a foot thread.
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options
    I think you might be the drama
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    Options
    I think you might be the drama

😂🤣
  • TwitchyMagee
    edited September 2022
    Options

I agree -- I think underlying is something that's simmering beneath the surface and maybe isn't a big deal - like maybe a small problem within a relationship that's there but not important enough to pay attention to ---- but an overarching problem would be one that encompasses that relationship, like what's his face from Try Guys with his infidelity problem 😋
    I disagree about it being not a big deal. Underlying to me implies a root cause which would be very hard to unearth or eradicate. Like his low self-esteem is the underlying cause for his drug addiction. Or the abuse he suffered in childhood is the underlying reason he kicks the dog. Am I just kind of dark?

Eta: Underlying gives me the image of a foundational premise or something that is built upon and therefore very important

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the example you cited though
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options

I agree -- I think underlying is something that's simmering beneath the surface and maybe isn't a big deal - like maybe a small problem within a relationship that's there but not important enough to pay attention to ---- but an overarching problem would be one that encompasses that relationship, like what's his face from Try Guys with his infidelity problem 😋
    I disagree about it being not a big deal. Underlying to me implies a root cause which would be very hard to unearth or eradicate. Like his low self-esteem is the underlying cause for his drug addiction. Or the abuse he suffered in childhood is the underlying reason he kicks the dog. Am I just kind of dark?

I googled and it says it's the basis for something else, so you're right, it could be a cause to a larger problem, but I think the term underlying doesn't necessarily mean that it's a big problem

Ok so underlying = cause

Do you think overarching means the entire effect observed after completion? That’s my impression

• FeastRepeat
    Options
    Underlying is implicit. Overarching is explicit. This was a fun discussion though!
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options
    Underlying is implicit. Overarching is explicit. This was a fun discussion though!

You’re no fun
  • FeastRepeat
    Options

You’re no fun

*funny gif showing my attempt at a rebuttal but having none*
  • TwitchyMagee
    Options

You’re no fun

It’s OK I’m picturing you in a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches now so that more than makes up for it. Especially when you’re holding the ruler.
  • FeastRepeat
    Options

You’re no fun

It’s OK I’m picturing you in a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches now so that more than makes up for it. Especially when you’re holding the ruler.

I can’t wait for tweed jacket weather. Now where is me ruler?
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,357 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Eta: Underlying gives me the image of a foundational premise or something that is built upon and therefore very important

My understanding is that underlying is more implicit, or hidden, whereas overarching is more explicit - out in the open.
  • ermengarde22
    Options
    its a top vs bottom thing yall