What's on your mind?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I'm confused reading things.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Thinking about organizing happy hours at work.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I wish that MFP were operated like a lot of open forum sites where you were allowed to curse, have dissenting opinions and were openly allowed to discuss contentious topics (as long as it remained civil). I understand why they've taken away the option to discuss things like politics/religion/etc., but I think some of the folks here would be super interesting to have discussions with on those topics.

Hence why I don't just find a different forum for that avenue.. I rather like the people here, thank you.

We're allowed to do that. I do it all the time. If you're willing to trade in popularity for voicing an opinion that clashes with the commonly held opinions of Chit Chat and other forums at MFP, you're allowed to do it civilly. And you'll also be subjected to passive aggressive swipes in the Vague thread for it too.

Contentious topics (some even bordering on religion and politics) are allowed to be discussed in the Debate section. But you gotta be hardcore, unafraid of confrontation and back up your stuff. Also, they're not funny there but you're allowed to be funny if you want to lighten it up over there.

Maybe you like the people here precisely because you don't have contentious, profanity laced discussions with them in which you voice dissenting opinions. That's not rhetoric, I mean it for real.

Isn't MFP passive aggressive enough with the "Woo" option and other thread swipes without really needing it to be necessary in the Vague thread?

As for the people here, no.. I adamantly believe that some of you could be really fun, engaging and civil minded in a debate. Not all, but a good amount of you.
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    I come on here to get away from the real world so I am glad they have rules on heavy topics .

Some of us have very little contact with the outside world on a regular basis, so I come here to actually talk with people. My other venues have all dried up and moving constantly means I never have time to make new connections with people IRL.

New Group: Exploring the universe with CanesGalactica. Sounds perfect :)

I should do this and then watch it be a group of one, lol.
    I wish that MFP were operated like a lot of open forum sites where you were allowed to curse, have dissenting opinions and were openly allowed to discuss contentious topics (as long as it remained civil). I understand why they've taken away the option to discuss things like politics/religion/etc., but I think some of the folks here would be super interesting to have discussions with on those topics.

Hence why I don't just find a different forum for that avenue.. I rather like the people here, thank you.

We're allowed to do that. I do it all the time. If you're willing to trade in popularity for voicing an opinion that clashes with the commonly held opinions of Chit Chat and other forums at MFP, you're allowed to do it civilly. And you'll also be subjected to passive aggressive swipes in the Vague thread for it too.

Contentious topics (some even bordering on religion and politics) are allowed to be discussed in the Debate section. But you gotta be hardcore, unafraid of confrontation and back up your stuff. Also, they're not funny there but you're allowed to be funny if you want to lighten it up over there.

Maybe you like the people here precisely because you don't have contentious, profanity laced discussions with them in which you voice dissenting opinions. That's not rhetoric, I mean it for real.

Isn't MFP passive aggressive enough with the "Woo" option and other thread swipes without really needing it to be necessary in the Vague thread?

As for the people here, no.. I adamantly believe that some of you could be really fun, engaging and civil minded in a debate. Not all, but a good amount of you.

Then debate away. It's allowed. You said it wasn't. Maybe lurk in the debate section for a bit to get the flavor of it first.

If you prefer communication to be direct within the guidelines of civility, rather than passive, really, you can take the initiative - even here in Chit Chat.

The Vague thread and the woo button aren't the only fertile ground for passive hints and swipes. There's the I Confess thread and the What's on Your Mind threads too. I've been passive aggressive on all those threads myself because sometimes I just can't be civil and I know it. I'm trying to stay out of MFP jail of course, like everybody else.

What topics would interest you for debate or what subjects would you be most interested in posting very direct opinions about?

Well, I do participate in the threads you are mentioning from time to time, but I'm not interested in being passively snarky to people I disagree with. I can silently roll my eyes and move on most of the time.

For the debate topics here, either I am missing the really good threads or there just aren't any topics I want to debate on? A few of the medical ones that pop up interest me, but more as a lurker to glean information as people post. I don't mind topics in which the debate is either purely conjecture or opinion (being no facts to really debate), but I suppose I would like to see some more relevant topics about political goings on (anywhere, not just in the U.S.). I've been enjoying some of the :trollface: topics, but they seem to either get shut down quickly or the original poster starts and runs (at least stay around so we can have a row with you!)

P.S. This MFP jail you all mention kind of freaks me out. What the hell did you people do to get put in there in the first place?
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member

Then debate away. It's allowed. You said it wasn't. Maybe lurk in the debate section for a bit to get the flavor of it first.

If you prefer communication to be direct within the guidelines of civility, rather than passive, really, you can take the initiative - even here in Chit Chat.

The Vague thread and the woo button aren't the only fertile ground for passive hints and swipes. There's the I Confess thread and the What's on Your Mind threads too. I've been passive aggressive on all those threads myself because sometimes I just can't be civil and I know it. I'm trying to stay out of MFP jail of course, like everybody else.

What topics would interest you for debate or what subjects would you be most interested in posting very direct opinions about?

I think she is specifically talking about a religious or political based debates not being allowed.

Eh, more like any topic that one could debate with facts but still have opinions on. As mentioned before, some of the medical/science topics intrigue me, but more from an intellectual perspective as opposed to something I feel the need to argue for/against. I'm not here to tramp on anyone's religion (or lack thereof). Not my thing, really.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Coupon codes make me happy. No coupon codes make me agitated.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I feel like I miss a lot here, even tho I might be present it just goes way over my head
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    Today is surely a sad day for mfp.

What happened?

Noah and Tanya are departing from the masses

Aw, Noah created my favorite thread here & Tanya, was hilarious! :'(
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I feel like I miss a lot here, even tho I might be present it just goes way over my head

Yeah, me too. :lol:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    @newmeadow, I am ok with it if people stay civil. Will have to shut it down if people cant. I will check with other mods before you proceed. I would suggest just starting a new thread if you want to debate it, not really due to a rule but more you are going to have random things on people's mind thrown in all over the place. Personally I would just find that annoying if I was trying to follow the debate :)