Boy Scouts ban obese kids from Jamboree

Options

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    From a practical stand point I get the logic. From an emotional stand point all I can think is: "Way to go BS. Since you can't publicly hate the gays anymore, let's pick on the fat kids instead."

A lot of people are saying this, but this rule has been in effect for longer than the BSA has been allowing gay members.

Notice how I said EMOTIONAL standpoint. Logic doesn't belong there. That's why I expressed both standpoints seperately. :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I'm still wondering why people think it's okay for their children to be so obese? If your child is fat, why haven't you done anything to help your child lose weight?

careful now...that kind of thinking gets people upset around here. they'd rather make excuses why their kids are fat.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Fellow Eagle Scout here. Up to this point I didn't have any MAJOR issues with the organization. But this is stupid. And I'm not biased, either; I never went to those events, and I've never been obese. But a few kids in my group were obese. One lost weight, and to my knowledge, kept it off (though probably not in the most healthy way initially--Atkins diet).

But I will say I noticed a long time ago that the organization had a weird take on physical fitness. Some of the things made sense, like doing a certain number of pushups, running a mile in a certain time, swimming a certain distance, etc. But some of their ideas were also off kilter. Like, how is that stretch where you sit and reach supposed to be an ab strengthening exercise? It made no sense to me.

Boy Scouts basically want their members to be thin. There's no other interpretation. And I don't think they have anything about body composition, which is worrisome.

Bottom line: the organization has an outdated, patriarchal philosophy.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You know... they could have just created two separate programs with different levels of physical demand. Then, the kids could opt in to the program they wanted to perform, get a special badge for whichever they complete, and then the more physically demanding program would be something the kids could train and strive for the next year.
    THIS. BSA should be about building confidence in youths, not excluding them for participating in it.

Yeah, assuming there is funding and staffing for two programs, that's certainly a better option than:
    most called for activities that would fit the capabilities of boys at all levels.

I've never been a scout. I've never been to a "jamboree".

But if it is intended to be a strenuous physical thing, I'd hate to see it reduced to suit a lowest (and unfortunately getting lower) common denominator population.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My son is 14 and has been a part of Scouting since he was in 1st grade. We are part of an amazing troop and I can honestly say it's the best activity he's ever been a part of. He attends Summer camp every year, and a physical exam and physician sign-off is required. Frankly, I don't feel like camp is nearly as high-energy as most of the weekend trips they go on, but it's the rules so we follow them.

As others have pointed out, the article clearly states the BMI cutoff is 40. I'm sure there are exceptions, but by and large as a Scout parent I don't recall ever seeing any kid of scouting age even close to this morbidly obese at scouting functions where we're mingling with other troops. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but I don't think this rule affects as many boys as people would expect from simply reading the article tagline. I've never been to Jamboree but i know it's a pretty high-energy and intensity event. BMI might not be the best measure, but they have to have some kind of measure in place when you're dealing with a huge organization like this. By the same token, a skinny kid might not get clearance for this event due to some other medical condition. Just like pregnant women aren't allowed to ride rollercoasters, and I'm too heavy to go on the full-day mule trips at the Grand Canyon.

It sucks and it's probably going to be unfair in a handful of cases, but to single this out as a novel idea that only Boy Scouts of America subscribes to is just nonsense.
  • shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The leaders of The Boy Scouts of America are ill educated, hicks period. They have been biased against many people for decades. This news is the latest is stupidy & narrow minded rules.
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    You can argue this back and forth, but the BSA is a PRIVATE organization. No one is forcing them to join.

Before you start nit picking me, I was involved with BSA through Cub Scouts, Webelos, and made it to Life Scout before high school. I was also an Asst. Scout master for a short time.

I do remember that there were ( and may still be ) certain rules they had for physical fitness you had to have to go to Philmont Ranch and certain merit badges.....

Exactly. Thanks so much for posting this! My brother just got eagle and is at jambo right now, and it's true - there are certain rules in regards to physical fitness for Philmont & Boundary Waters.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My first to all who are critiquing this decision: How many of you have gone out and actually done any of this stuff?

My husband and I have been invovled in scouting locally for 15 years and we are a THREE EAGLE SCOUT family. My husband grew up in the as well, totaling over 30 yrs.

1. There is a health form that has to be signed off by the physicians and I, as Mom, HAD to make sure it was filled out correctly (that was MY RESPONSIBILITY).
    2. There have been weight/height requirements on said health forms for many years now. No surprise there.

That having been said, I will make my main point.

We run a high adventure troop and go out into areas where we don't even have cell phone coverage. Evacuating ANY kid or adult from those situations is very difficult and we need to take into consideration the health and safety of the rescuers.

Not everyone (parents especially) wants to admit that their kids may not be able to do everythng that they want to do and would send them to an event where they may not only put the child's life at risk, but risk those who may have to help them. I have had to deal with these kids and it is very stressful for everyone concerned.

I see this as BSA trying to protect the safety and well being of ALL participants.

You don't have to belong to BSA, you don't have to support them, and if you don;t like it, you can always form a new group that will satisfy little egos (parent and child). Sometimes exclusion from an event the most powerful motivator.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    What the heck? The BSA's mission should be to help develop boys into good men, with good male role models. Not throw out the ones that don't make the cut.

If they are banning anyone, they should ban the morbidly obese adults, not the kids.

Looking back, all my troop masters as a kid were obese. They seemed to be able to contribute, somehow.

Unfortunately, the BSA lost their way a long time ago... It's very sad how unbelievably misguided they have become. Ah well, things change.

Eagle Scout 85'
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Does BSA carry defibrillators around with them at Jamboree events?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Does BSA carry defibrillators around with them at Jamboree events?

I don't know, but I suspect they do. That said, I'd guess they're far more likely to need to use them for their leaders than the Scouts...

...(and I say that having spent 6+ years as an Asst Scoutmaster).
  • KeithAngilly
    Options
    "You don't have to belong to BSA, you don't have to support them, and if you don;t like it, you can always form a new group that will satisfy little egos (parent and child). Sometimes exclusion from an event the most powerful motivator. "

and this is why the BSA has lost it's way...

what a garbage attitude.
  • monicarcaro
    Options
    My first to all who are critiquing this decision: How many of you have gone out and actually done any of this stuff?

My husband and I have been invovled in scouting locally for 15 years and we are a THREE EAGLE SCOUT family. My husband grew up in the as well, totaling over 30 yrs.

1. There is a health form that has to be signed off by the physicians and I, as Mom, HAD to make sure it was filled out correctly (that was MY RESPONSIBILITY).
    2. There have been weight/height requirements on said health forms for many years now. No surprise there.

We run a high adventure troop and go out into areas where we don't even have cell phone coverage. Evacuating ANY kid or adult from those situations is very difficult and we need to take into consideration the health and safety of the rescuers.

Not everyone (parents especially) wants to admit that their kids may not be able to do everythng that they want to do and would send them to an event where they may not only put the child's life at risk, but risk those who may have to help them. I have had to deal with these kids and it is very stressful for everyone concerned.

I see this as BSA trying to protect the safety and well being of ALL participants.

You don't have to belong to BSA, you don't have to support them, and if you don;t like it, you can always form a new group that will satisfy little egos (parent and child). Sometimes exclusion from an event the most powerful motivator.

Thanks so much for posting this! I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Those who have experienced things such as Philmont or Jambo understand, whereas others who have never experienced these strenuous trips really can't see it from the BSA perspective.
  • KeithAngilly
    Options

Those who have experienced things such as Philmont or Jambo understand, whereas others who have never experienced these strenuous trips really can't see it from the BSA perspective.

the flipside is that kids can help each other along the way...which is the point of scouting. Now it is just exclusionary, religious, paramilitary group for kids. what a joke....

Eagle Scout '85
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    "You don't have to belong to BSA, you don't have to support them, and if you don;t like it, you can always form a new group that will satisfy little egos (parent and child). Sometimes exclusion from an event the most powerful motivator. "

and this is why the BSA has lost it's way...

what a garbage attitude.

I agree with you completely. What is it that they are really teaching their kids?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    As others have pointed out, the article clearly states the BMI cutoff is 40. I'm sure there are exceptions, but by and large as a Scout parent I don't recall ever seeing any kid of scouting age even close to this morbidly obese at scouting functions where we're mingling with other troops. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but I don't think this rule affects as many boys as people would expect from simply reading the article tagline.

I've seen a few. There was a guy who sunk the docks at the lake everytime he walked on them. But no, it doesn't affect that many. It's just a weird policy. If you start banning more and more types of people, who will be left? That's my concern.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I'll bet lawsuits due to injury or teasing might be the root but sadly
    they should be adopting ways to help and not discourage youngsters
    to lose the obesity labels .. They should promote making unfit kids ..
    awesome-fit kids. Jmho.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    I agree with you completely. What is it that they are really teaching their kids?

They're trying to teach people how to become self-reliant, to work well with others when needed, to be able to survive outside, to be physically fit, and also a little of everything.

But a lot of it is overshadowed by a rustic, outdated MO (and I'm being nice). The organization can get a bit shortsighted and claustrophobic feeling at times.

And you can't just legislate your way around everything...which is what they're doing.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

the flipside is that kids can help each other along the way...which is the point of scouting. Now it is just exclusionary, religious, paramilitary group for kids. what a joke....

Eagle Scout '85

yea, other kids should help kids who are 100 or more pounds overweight hike 50 miles, kayak (swim if you tip over) and zipline. That doesn't have injury written all over it.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    This is another example of well meaning, but uninformed, people doing more harm than good. If the physical challenges are really that challenging then the only reasonable way to make the determination is to require a physical fitness evaluation. BMI is going to cut out some very fit but muscular kids. That said, I don't think excluding kids from the entire event makes any sense whatsoever.
    Well said.