Options

Replies

• Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely. What is it that they are really teaching their kids?

They're trying to teach people how to become self-reliant, to work well with others when needed, to be able to survive outside, to by physically fit, and also a little of everything.

But a lot of it is overshadowed by a rustic, outdated MO (and I'm being nice). The organization can get a bit shortsighted and claustrophobic feeling at times.

And you can't just legislate your way around everything.

That's what I'm talking about. Earlier someone pointed out that physical testing to qualify would have worked better than to just say "hey, if you're fat, don't even think about it". That's really sending a bad message to the kids as a whole.

You know, you tell the kids they have to be able to do X push-ups and run X miles in X minutes. That way the heavier kids can at least try if they want to. If they fail at the testing, then they know they will have to work harder for next time.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OMG Logic people!

IF all our kids are obese AND boy scouts teaches how to make fires and camp and stuff AND they want to exclude all the kids, THEN how will our species survive the zombie apocalypse?
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely. What is it that they are really teaching their kids?

They're trying to teach people how to become self-reliant, to work well with others when needed, to be able to survive outside, to be physically fit, and also a little of everything.

But a lot of it is overshadowed by a rustic, outdated MO (and I'm being nice). The organization can get a bit shortsighted and claustrophobic feeling at times.

And you can't just legislate your way around everything...which is what they're doing.

Thank you! That is what I didn't say correctly.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    OMG Logic people!

IF all our kids are obese AND boy scouts teaches how to make fires and camp and stuff AND they want to exclude all the kids, THEN how will our species survive the zombie apocalypse?

Rule Number 1 in Zombieland: CARDIO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    If you people are so up in arms about a private, faith based organization having exclusions, get off your computers and either form your own group or actually spend some time with your kids and teach them the same things.

P.s. You can buy a Boy Scout manual and use it as a guide even if you don't agree with their policies, or use a library.....
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

They're trying to teach people how to become self-reliant, to work well with others when needed, to be able to survive outside, to by physically fit, and also a little of everything.

That's what I'm talking about. Earlier someone pointed out that physical testing to qualify would have worked better than to just say "hey, if you're fat, don't even think about it". That's really sending a bad message to the kids as a whole.

You know, you tell the kids they have to be able to do X push-ups and run X miles in X minutes. That way the heavier kids can at least try if they want to. If they fail at the testing, then they know they will have to work harder for next time.

BMI of 40 isn't "fat", it's morbidly obese, especially amongst children. Also, it's already stated that there are exceptions with a Dr's approval.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

BMI of 40 isn't "fat", it's morbidly obese, especially amongst children. Also, it's already stated that there are exceptions with a Dr's approval.

Like I said, if someone's BMI is that high, it's not likely they can do X push-ups or run X miles in X minutes. Then, they can see their own defeciencies without the organization pointing it out for them.

But it's always so pleasant talking to you. Please tell me again why my opinion is less valid than yours.

And BTW... that's how most ROTC's go about handling things of this nature...
  • Danette73
    Danette73 Posts: 76
    Options
    I have a co worker who is at the Jamboree now. I honestly know nothing about scouting, other than what I read, but the co worker of mine who is there AND a leader is morbidly obese. So what kind of example is THAT setting? The kids can't come but the adults can? Doesn't seem fair to me.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    So if they can't discriminate against gay kids, then they are going to discriminate against the fat kids?? :huh: :noway:

Don't they realize that 'physically demanding' is what these kids need????

I thought they had the gay discrimination down to a science already--
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    sigh that's so sad :(
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I have a co worker who is at the Jamboree now. I honestly know nothing about scouting, other than what I read, but the co worker of mine who is there AND a leader is morbidly obese. So what kind of example is THAT setting? The kids can't come but the adults can? Doesn't seem fair to me.

The adults are just that, adults and are free to make their own decisions. Lawsuits can rise much more quickly when kids get injured and the insurance premiums also take a big jump too.
  • moosegt35
    Options

Like I said, if someone's BMI is that high, it's not likely they can do X push-ups or run X miles in X minutes. Then, they can see their own defeciencies without the organization pointing it out for them.

But it's always so pleasant talking to you. Please tell me again why my opinion is less valid than yours.

And BTW... that's how most ROTC's go about handling things of this nature...

That's awesome, this isn't ROTC, it is a private organization. Fat vs morbidly obese isn't an opinion BTW, it is factual.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    From a practical stand point I get the logic. From an emotional stand point all I can think is: "Way to go BS. Since you can't publicly hate the gays anymore, let's pick on the fat kids instead."

A lot of people are saying this, but this rule has been in effect for longer than the BSA has been allowing gay members.

Notice how I said EMOTIONAL standpoint. Logic doesn't belong there. That's why I expressed both standpoints seperately. :)

I don't do so good with emotions. Sorry!
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This makes me soooooo mad, my 10 year old daughter is heavy but very very active, she plays soccer and basketball and loves to swim. She may not be able to run fast or do some things but just because she is chunky doesn't mean she can't do a lot of things that my twig of a daughter couln't do because she is not as active. People need to wake up and think about things before they take a stupid action like this---makes me want to scream in there face.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    This makes me soooooo mad, my 10 year old daughter is heavy but very very active, she plays soccer and basketball and loves to swim. She may not be able to run fast or do some things but just because she is chunky doesn't mean she can't do a lot of things that my twig of a daughter couln't do because she is not as active. People need to wake up and think about things before they take a stupid action like this---makes me want to scream in there face.

Is your dauhter a BMI of 40+, morbidly obese? If she plays soccer I am willing to bet that she isn't. If not, then this rule effects her 0%. You sell insurance, you should know that these risks, as well as obesity, the chance of getting sued, etc raise these insurnace premiums. Why should a PRIVATE organization take on more costs, risks, etc in order to cater to children who are dangerously obese?
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...
  • moosegt35
    Options
    From a practical stand point I get the logic. From an emotional stand point all I can think is: "Way to go BS. Since you can't publicly hate the gays anymore, let's pick on the fat kids instead."

A lot of people are saying this, but this rule has been in effect for longer than the BSA has been allowing gay members.

Notice how I said EMOTIONAL standpoint. Logic doesn't belong there. That's why I expressed both standpoints seperately. :)

I don't do so good with emotions. Sorry!

Sadly, that is what most people base decisions on instead of logic.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Scouts, that's so not cool, discrimination never is.....