Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

May we talk about set points?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    If you listen to your hunger signals and eat accordingly it generally has you eating at maintenance not deficit or surplus

{{Bingo}}

And that's not a set point. That's Einstein's definition of insanity. "Doing the same thing you've always done but expecting things to change". You eat the way you always eat, you maintain because that amount is your maintenance, because eating that way made you a weight where that would be maintenance.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    If you listen to your hunger signals and eat accordingly it generally has you eating at maintenance not deficit or surplus

{{Bingo}}

And that's not a set point. That's Einstein's definition of insanity. "Doing the same thing you've always done but expecting things to change". You eat the way you always eat, you maintain because that amount is your maintenance, because eating that way made you a weight where that would be maintenance.

No. A set point is just a number on the scale at an extended maintenance period. It has nothing to do with insanity. Lol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

{{Bingo}}

No. A set point is just a number on the scale at an extended maintenance period. It has nothing to do with insanity. Lol.

I'm going to parse your sentence to show you that what you're saying makes no sense.

A set point (commonly defined by those who believe in them as a weight which the body defends through the up and down regulation of various hormones) is just a number on the scale at an extended period of maintenance (this is a period during which a person is in the habit of eating the amount of calories they consume in balance with the amount of energy they expend).

Having a behavior or set of behaviors that leads to a reading on the scale does not mean you have a set point.

You are the one that does not understand what set points are commonly referred to as meaning.
  • DebSozo
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Exactly. It wants me to maintain.
    Lol. Again, your body reacts to stimuli. Feed it less you lose weight. Feed it more you gain. Feed it enough it maintains. It doesn't STAY THE SAME for the first two, so why are you stating that it will with this dumb "set point" theory?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I understand the mechanics of weight loss and weight gain. I'm not saying CICO does not come into play. I'm only stating that establishing a set point can help maintain weight within a couple pounds up or down.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mielke1.htm
    No that would be establishing a HABIT. The habit of eating the right amount of calories keeps one's weight stable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Please read down in the article (paragraph #8) where it talks about when the body is at maintenance and is no longer going up or down more than a couple pounds, then a set point has been established.

Did you read part two where the author stated this:
    In review, a set point is establishing and meeting a goal in conditioning of your body or a level of fitness - and then maintaining it.

He's not even defining set point the way you are. It's all habit-focused according to him.

Editing to add when he stated this:
    Establishing set points takes careful planning and plenty of dedication to reach them. It takes hard work to stay at a set point too.

So pick your goal weight and then adjust your habits to meet then maintain it?

Easter bunny!

Yes. If you want to lower your set point you can lose weight. Then take a diet break and work on maintaining the new set point for about 6 months. Then the weight won't bounce quickly back up. If you use the set point method of losing weight you try not to lose more than 10% of your body weight at a time before the next plateau at a lower set point.
  • DebSozo

{{Bingo}}

I'm going to parse your sentence to show you that what you're saying makes no sense.

A set point (commonly defined by those who believe in them as a weight which the body defends through the up and down regulation of various hormones) is just a number on the scale at an extended period of maintenance (this is a period during which a person is in the habit of eating the amount of calories they consume in balance with the amount of energy they expend).

Having a behavior or set of behaviors that leads to a reading on the scale does not mean you have a set point.

You are the one that does not understand what set points are commonly referred to as meaning.

You have to maintain for a period of time to keep it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I most definitely have one. Until just a few years ago, when I injured my knee and could not run, I almost never gained a pound -- weighed almost the same as I weighed in college. This was not from conscious effort or discipline. I suspect that when I gained weight, I just lost appetite and did not eat much until the weight went away.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I ate whatever I wanted and stayed within the normal bmi range all of my life until I was 60 years.
    Does that mean I had a set point? Or does it mean I just ate whatever it took to fuel my body by instinct. I didn't diet or worry about my size. When I got to the high end of normal, (now considered overweight I believe ), in my 60's I watched what I ate and lost and have had to keep monitoring calories in order to maintain a 'normal weight'.

Some might call those first 60 years as having a set point perhaps. It was a 15 pound weight range at the middle normal bmi for my hieght. I would imagine many people have had the same experience as me in regard to having been a normal weight most of their lives without bothering very much about diet and calorie counting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member

{{Bingo}}

Due to what? CONSISTENT CICO. Change CICO and the number on the scale changes. Change the numbers and the outcome is different not constant.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Exactly. It wants me to maintain.
    Lol. Again, your body reacts to stimuli. Feed it less you lose weight. Feed it more you gain. Feed it enough it maintains. It doesn't STAY THE SAME for the first two, so why are you stating that it will with this dumb "set point" theory?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I understand the mechanics of weight loss and weight gain. I'm not saying CICO does not come into play. I'm only stating that establishing a set point can help maintain weight within a couple pounds up or down.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mielke1.htm
    No that would be establishing a HABIT. The habit of eating the right amount of calories keeps one's weight stable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Please read down in the article (paragraph #8) where it talks about when the body is at maintenance and is no longer going up or down more than a couple pounds, then a set point has been established.

Did you read part two where the author stated this:
    In review, a set point is establishing and meeting a goal in conditioning of your body or a level of fitness - and then maintaining it.

He's not even defining set point the way you are. It's all habit-focused according to him.

Editing to add when he stated this:
    Establishing set points takes careful planning and plenty of dedication to reach them. It takes hard work to stay at a set point too.

So pick your goal weight and then adjust your habits to meet then maintain it?

Easter bunny!

Yes. If you want to lower your set point you can lose weight. Then take a diet break and work on maintaining the new set point for about 6 months. Then the weight won't bounce quickly back up. If you use the set point method of losing weight you try not to lose more than 10% of your body weight at a time before the next plateau at a lower set point.
    Lol, this is known as a moderate calorie deficit, then maintenance calories. It's not a "set point". Again, we aren't a room with a thermostat controlling the temperature. Your argument doesn't make sense because it dependent on CICO. And CICO can easily be manipulated by a few inconsistent days.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff

{{Bingo}}

So people who are obese for a period of time have "set point" that their bodies want to stay at? According to this statement, that's how you define a "set point".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• DebSozo
    A biological set point is a stable condition where the body maintains itself in a process of homeostasis.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016

{{Bingo}}

So people who are obese for a period of time have "set point" that their bodies want to stay at? According to this statement, that's how you define a "set point".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    If you don't believe that people can establish set points, that is your perogative.
  • ninerbuff
    People habitually eat pretty much a certain way for long periods of time. Some are systematic (meaning they eat the same thing day in and day out at particular times) and some by portion control. Habitual behavior is what changes someone's weight over time. Whatever the means, this doesn't just happen in the US. It happens all over the world. Go to other countries outside of the US and the portions are much smaller and less calorie dense. Hence the less issues with obesity.
    It's not uncommon for someone up to college, eating whatever they want and because they are active, they regulate around the same weight for years. Then they get a job, reduce that activity, but still eat the same way habitually, and put on a lot of weight. If there was truly a set point, the body would have compensated by burning more calories from less activity to compensate for the calories, but it doesn't do that.
    People can stay at the same weight for years, but again it's due to behavior they've developed for years. Most people that stay lean for decades have ONE THING IN COMMON...................they don't surplus their calories much.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    What? And the way that they can stay at homeostasis, according to you, is due to habits? And the body doesn't communicate through internal mechanisms such as regulation of appetite, energy expenditure, and hormones? It is all just about "habits"?

• ninerbuff
    What? And the way that they can stay at homeostasis, according to you, is due to habits? And the body doesn't communicate through internal mechanisms such as regulation of appetite, energy expenditure, and hormones? It is all just about "habits"?
    Absolutely (unless there's some major shift that's permanent). If one habitually eats maintenance calories for the daily activity they do habitually (whether that be work, exercise, sitting on the couch, etc.) then weight should stay approximately the same.
    The same goes for being overweight or underweight. They stick to those habitual behaviors that keep them that way, and they won't change. It's not as complicated as people try to make it sound in the magazines, blogs, fitness sites, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png