Open Q&A

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    When trying to loose weight should you up protein and fat and minimize carbs??

Depends on activity and what you can stick to.
    Protein is one if the most important macros and IMO should stay generally high.
    For example, protein has the highest thermic effect when eaten. When it's ingested, protein has to go through quite a process to be broken down and it's date us largely decided on your activity.
    Carbs are important but it really depends on your activity.
    Fats are important but it really depends on how much you have on your body and again, activity.
    It's also of note that some people metabolize certain macronutrients better than others, but you'd need to visit a metabolic lab and get tested for clarity on what works best for you.

So, what type of training will you do?
    How much do you have to lose?
    And lastly, what type of strategy are you prepared to srick with until you've reached your goal?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Here's my Q: how do you block trolls on this site??

Ignore them or report them if they get stupid.
    Another good thing you could do is simply play mind games with them.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    When should weight loss begin to slow, People say as you get lower body fat it naturally slows, Which makes sense, But no one ever seems to know when 2-3 pounds a week begins to be to aggressive XD -impossible question without alot more info XD Just curious what youd say lol-
  • meaghancoltman
    meaghancoltman Posts: 3 Member
    Options

For example, protein has the highest thermic effect when eaten. When it's ingested, protein has to go through quite a process to be broken down and it's date us largely decided on your activity.
    Fats are important but it really depends on how much you have on your body and again, activity.
    It's also of note that some people metabolize certain macronutrients better than others, but you'd need to visit a metabolic lab and get tested for clarity on what works best for you.

And lastly, what type of strategy are you prepared to srick with until you've reached your goal?

Wow thanks great info. Just trying to get my eating down pat to start. No formal training but I chase a toddler around all day which use count for something (lol) I have a good 70 lbs of baby weight I'd like to loose. I would do anything at this point!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    When should weight loss begin to slow, People say as you get lower body fat it naturally slows, Which makes sense, But no one ever seems to know when 2-3 pounds a week begins to be to aggressive XD

Depends on a lot of factors.
    If you're obese II or higher, 3lbs is doable but I'd recommend having a coach who can remain objective in your goals and progress.
    The real issues come up when someone who shouldn't be losing more than a pound a week is trying for 3, then you start getting hormonal issues, moodiness, hunger hormones start going crazy, binge cycling and other more serious stuff starts popping up and you on the forums and everyone tells you CICO blabbity blabbity blah...

What I do is look at BF%.
    30% or higher, deeper deficit.
    25%-30% moderate deficit.
    15%-25% light deficit or maintenance + added intensity.

Also to add to the confusion is the nonsense "Eat less move more"
    So now we have a hypothetical woman at 30%+ BF who's in a deep deficit with nutrition AND exercising for 6+ hours a week and wondering why she's binge eating a loaf of bread every third or fourth day...

• Helloitsdan
    Options

Wow thanks great info. Just trying to get my eating down pat to start. No formal training but I chase a toddler around all day which use count for something (lol) I have a good 70 lbs of baby weight I'd like to loose. I would do anything at this point!!

Without doing exercises is think prioritizing sleep and anxiety first.
    Arrest any nutritional deficiencies by taking a good multivitamin and omega 3 supplement second.

YouTube beginner bodyweight or beginner animal flow videos.
    These videos will train you in proper movement and helps build flexibility. Since you'll getting up and down off the floor often, learning exercises that involves floor work will only make life easier.

If you're not sure what to eat or how, Google Precision Nutrition portion control infographic.

For people who aren't up and running around all day doing heavy resistance training or intense cardio, it's perfectly fine to eat more fat. Just keep in mind that you can lose weight on a high fat diet just the same as a high carb diet. Do what you'll stick to 80% of the time and you'll get this!
    Send a friend request if you need anymore help.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Which sub forum have you been posting in to have reached 5.5k posts without me having any recollection of seeing you here before?

ETA: Nevermind. I remember you from way back in the day.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Can I lose on 1530 calories a day? I was 79 kgs in July and I am 76 kgs as of today? I can't exist on 1200 a day coz I feel faint and tensed? Plus I exercise 6 days a week for 60-90 minutes. Advice please!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Can I lose on 1530 calories a day? I was 79 kgs in July and I am 76 kgs as of today? I can't exist on 1200 a day coz I feel faint and tensed? Plus I exercise 6 days a week for 60-90 minutes. Advice please!

Of course! it just will mean you will lose a bit slower, but there's nothing wrong with that, especially if you feel more satisfied.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    When should weight loss begin to slow, People say as you get lower body fat it naturally slows, Which makes sense, But no one ever seems to know when 2-3 pounds a week begins to be to aggressive XD -impossible question without alot more info XD Just curious what youd say lol-

Generally its the last 10lbs when loss starts to slow.

2-3lbs a week would be too aggressive to someone with less than 50lbs to lose.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

My question is; do you think this applicable to everyone? I'm intrigued as to where these "limits" come from and why they are so frequently misquoted. I just read in a thread that 2lbs/week is too fast if you have less than 75lbs to lose.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Two things you can do.
    1). Eat less but don't overdo it with exercise.
    2). Eat more but add in higher intensity exercises.

When you look at your day I want you t to think about all of the activity you do.
    Are you mostly on your feet, or sitting?
    Are you playing with your kids or pets?
    Are you only doing cardio or a healthy mix of resistance training and cardio?
    How high are you raising your heart rate and for how long?

You could essentially lose fat eating at maintenance and doing high intensity exercises.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Which sub forum have you been posting in to have reached 5.5k posts without me having any recollection of seeing you here before?

Been a member since 2011 I believe. Took a break for a while and now I'm back.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

My question is; do you think this applicable to everyone? I'm intrigued as to where these "limits" come from and why they are so frequently misquoted. I just read in a thread that 2lbs/week is too fast if you have less than 75lbs to lose.

I'm curious too. Looks like she hijacking the thread.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @trigden1991 I thought I'd read it was 50lbs+ to lose for 2/3lbs loss a week - you may well be right and it might be more likely to be 75lbs.... I apologise. I have no stats to support this and I'm not sure I care about it enough to search for the correct answer...my bad!

Generally we want to minimise muscle loss along with the fat, so the rule of thumb is its better to not aim to lose too much per week. To lose 2lb it takes eating 1000 calories a day deficit, which imo is hard enough (and I never went down that road having only 20lbs to lose, I stuck with a 500 a day deficit to begin with and then moved to a 250 deficit), I can't imagine what it would be like aiming for a 1000 calorie deficit in the day let alone a 2000 deficit.

When people who are hugely overweight are trying to lose then they might be going from having a TDEE of 3000+ cals then its relatively easier for them to have a larger deficit per day. There will come a time as they get closer to goal weight that having that large a deficit isn't necessary or would it be healthy imo.

For the last 10lbs weight loss slows but more because as we get lighter we use up less calories and a lot of the time don't adjust our intake accordingly. Again, its down to the individual, heck I'd probably have reached my goal weight sooner than I did had I been as particular about tracking my intake. For me it was easier to lose 1/2lb a week closer to goal as I was able to eat 1800 calories and still lose. It made for a smooth transition into maintenance (which I have been doing nicely for almost 4 years).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited November 2016
    Options
    . deleted
  • RayvenLark
    RayvenLark Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Does the amount of carbs consumed really matter for weight loss? If someone ate 1200 calories of mostly carbs, would they still be able to lose weight?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    RayvenLark wrote: »
    Does the amount of carbs consumed really matter for weight loss? If someone ate 1200 calories of mostly carbs, would they still be able to lose weight?

Being in calorie deficit is all that matters. If we eat less than we burn we lose. 1200 cals of carbs would probably mean the person in question would feel hungry or should that be hangry!
  • AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Been a member since 2011 I believe. Took a break for a while and now I'm back.

Clearly he has a lot of time on his hands...lol
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    @trigden1991 I thought I'd read it was 50lbs+ to lose for 2/3lbs loss a week - you may well be right and it might be more likely to be 75lbs.... I apologise. I have no stats to support this and I'm not sure I care about it enough to search for the correct answer...my bad!

Generally we want to minimise muscle loss along with the fat, so the rule of thumb is its better to not aim to lose too much per week. To lose 2lb it takes eating 1000 calories a day deficit, which imo is hard enough (and I never went down that road having only 20lbs to lose, I stuck with a 500 a day deficit to begin with and then moved to a 250 deficit), I can't imagine what it would be like aiming for a 1000 calorie deficit in the day let alone a 2000 deficit.

When people who are hugely overweight are trying to lose then they might be going from having a TDEE of 3000+ cals then its relatively easier for them to have a larger deficit per day. There will come a time as they get closer to goal weight that having that large a deficit isn't necessary or would it be healthy imo.

For the last 10lbs weight loss slows but more because as we get lighter we use up less calories and a lot of the time don't adjust our intake accordingly. Again, its down to the individual, heck I'd probably have reached my goal weight sooner than I did had I been as particular about tracking my intake. For me it was easier to lose 1/2lb a week closer to goal as I was able to eat 1800 calories and still lose. It made for a smooth transition into maintenance (which I have been doing nicely for almost 4 years).

Question about CICO and the 1000kcal deficit:

My wrist watch is 37,000kcal in a bomb calorimeter. If I consume my entire watch will I gain over 10 pounds of fat in a day?

You have a poor understanding of physiology please stop answering questions here.

Thanks!
    RayvenLark wrote: »

Being in calorie deficit is all that matters. If we eat less than we burn we lose. 1200 cals of carbs would probably mean the person in question would feel hungry or should that be hangry!

What is OP was taking Prednisone? Or any other drug that effects weight loss? You could be in a deficit and gaining weight.

Please stop hijacking this thread.