Open Q&A

Options

Replies

• AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

What is OP was taking Prednisone? Or any other drug that effects weight loss? You could be in a deficit and gaining weight.

Please stop hijacking this thread.

Drugs that affect weight loss do so by affecting the calories out side of CICO. If you are gaining weight then you are not in a deficit. You might think you are. An internet calculator might tell you that you are. But you're not.

Depends on the drugs. A shift in hormones could effect weight loss. Nutrient deficiency could effect weight loss. High stress can reduce RMR effecting weight loss. It's more complex than CICO. Click the link above and look through a few of the sections. Calories is a very small portion.

Outside of significant amounts of fluid retention are you aware of any condition that exists (including medication, all diseases, any hormonal dysfunction) that can cause the accumulation of tissue mass (the kind of weight gain we care about) when energy in is less than energy out?

Lack of sleep, high stress, medication can cause weight gain SS. Like I said before, people throw CICO at everything. It's not always the answer. Of course I can go with n=1 and talk about my wife who maintains her obesity eating 800-1200kcal a day. @SideSteel you of all people understand that we need to employ critical thinking and look at the total picture.
    Does CICO matter? Sure? Is it everything it's cracked up to be on this forum? Absolutely not.

Thank you for speaking truth! CICO is all that seems to be discussed around here. We need to expand our way of thinking.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

What is OP was taking Prednisone? Or any other drug that effects weight loss? You could be in a deficit and gaining weight.

Drugs that affect weight loss do so by affecting the calories out side of CICO. If you are gaining weight then you are not in a deficit. You might think you are. An internet calculator might tell you that you are. But you're not.

Depends on the drugs. A shift in hormones could effect weight loss. Nutrient deficiency could effect weight loss. High stress can reduce RMR effecting weight loss. It's more complex than CICO. Click the link above and look through a few of the sections. Calories is a very small portion.

Outside of significant amounts of fluid retention are you aware of any condition that exists (including medication, all diseases, any hormonal dysfunction) that can cause the accumulation of tissue mass (the kind of weight gain we care about) when energy in is less than energy out?

Lack of sleep, high stress, medication can cause weight gain SS. Like I said before, people throw CICO at everything. It's not always the answer. Of course I can go with n=1 and talk about my wife who maintains her obesity eating 800-1200kcal a day. @SideSteel you of all people understand that we need to employ critical thinking and look at the total picture.
    Does CICO matter? Sure? Is it everything it's cracked up to be on this forum? Absolutely not.

Then you don't understand what CICO even means.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Thank you for speaking truth! CICO is all that seems to be discussed around here. We need to expand our way of thinking.

He said CICO isn't everything, which is true. He didn't say that people can't lose weight because of toxins.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Sure I do.
    :)
    It's not the only answer when it comes to fat loss.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Sure I do.

Then explain it please.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

Sure I do.

Then explain it please.

Energy balance
    Homeostasis = energy in is the same as energy out.
    Weight loss = energy in is less than energy out.
    Weight gain = energy in is greater than energy out.

However, a calorie isn't a calorie due to micronutrients.
    A persons ability to absorb said nutrients varies vastly from one person to another.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options

Sure I do.

Then explain it please.

Energy balance

A persons ability to absorb said nutrients varies vastly from one person to another.

I understand a calorie isn't a calorie due to micronutrients and satiety, that I undersand.

But you are saying that the ability/inability to absorb certain nutrients can cause CICO not to work?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Energy = calories
    a calorie is a calorie

You just used a different word to describe CICO. Unless you think the body is getting energy from something other than calories.

Discussions about micros are more health then fat loss related.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Sure I do.

Then explain it please.

Energy balance

I understand a calorie isn't a calorie due to micronutrients and satiety, that I undersand.

But you are saying that the ability/inability to absorb certain nutrients can cause CICO not to work?

I've suffered malabsorption and maintained while eating a high number of calories but it was still cico because, as I said, I wasn't absorbing all the calories so those calories I didn't absorb didn't count as CI.
  • leanjogreen18
    edited November 2016
    Options

Sure I do.

Then explain it please.

Energy balance

I've suffered malabsorption and maintained while eating a high number of calories but it was still cico because, as I said, I wasn't absorbing all the calories so those calories I didn't absorb didn't count as CI.

I can see that but does it work in the reverse?

Meaning can you absorb or not absorb a nutrient in a deficit and not lose? Seems like if you have an malabsorption issue it would just go to waste.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Sure I do.

Then explain it please.

Energy balance

Meaning can you absorb or not absorb a nutrient in a deficit and not lose? Seems like if you have an malabsorption issue it would just go to waste.

Oh you would definitely lose. I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks from bmi 20 to bmi 16.7 just lying in bed (and tmi pooping a lot) eating 1200 during a bad Crohn's flare. Obviously a lot of fluid since you pooping 30 times a day but I think since my gi system was overactive and super rapid I think most of the calories went right through me. It was the 16.7 bmi I maintained while eating a lot (I was also on Prednisone so yes I ate a lot) though I still had the um other issue
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

He said CICO isn't everything, which is true. He didn't say that people can't lose weight because of toxins.

:laugh:
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Sure I do.

Then explain it please.

Energy balance

Some people have microbiota that are more efficient at helping us absorb nutrients from our food than the average calorie counts would suggest, but it's not a huge effect.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I should say the only thing that stopped the weight loss before I was able to eat the massive amount of calories and not gain was TPN (nutrition through a picc line that bypasses the gi tract and goes directly to the heart). Otherwise I would have starved to death. Ironically when eating the 1200 I had a high protein intake and my blood work was horrible and surprisingly my albumin (blood protein level) was very low.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    My lightbulb just went on re CICO a couple of months ago. And for someone to come on here and just say "its more complex" and "its a herd mentality in this forum" that is in this field without going into detail kinda bummed me out.

I totally get that there are behaviors, habits and psychological reasons someone can't consume more than they burn but that's not CICO not working. That's someone who has complex issues with CI.

I'm bummed because sometimes saying things like "its more complex" makes it sound like CICO isn't true which in turn breeds the "I can't help it" mentality. I should say I'm speaking of my former self pre lightbulb:).

Yes!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My lightbulb just went on re CICO a couple of months ago. And for someone to come on here and just say "its more complex" and "its a herd mentality in this forum" that is in this field without going into detail kinda bummed me out.

I totally get that there are behaviors, habits and psychological reasons someone can't consume more than they burn but that's not CICO not working. That's someone who has complex issues with CI.

I'm bummed because sometimes saying things like "its more complex" makes it sound like CICO isn't true which in turn breeds the "I can't help it" mentality. I should say I'm speaking of my former self pre lightbulb:).

I'm still waiting for details as well, not just using different words with the same definition of "eat less than you burn".
    tumblr_luzjkdQchp1qzcuvq.gif
  • MsDaniellesKMB
    MsDaniellesKMB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Trying to understand macros food goal...
    It gives me my allotted calories for the day. After I enter my exercise it shows that I have extra calories to eat. Do I need to eat more to loose weight or is it good to have a deficit?