My Gf's about to RUIN my thanksgiving!

Options

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    MarkR_2013 wrote: »
    Eat something dead before hand to maintain your macros and keep your stomach quiet through dinner. After that, it's like what I tell my kids: Be polite, eat your vegetables, and you don't know you're not going to like it until you try it. If you're still going to raise a fuss, I suggest you take a pair of Growacet capsules.

BTW, make sure you have a couple of gas-x and pepto bismal tablets handy if you overindulge the tofu. If your system isn't use to the protein and roughage, it will let you know at the worst possible time. And, tofurkey really is that bad unless the chef is a genius with the seasoning.

Alot of inexperienced people who make them just chuck in the oven frozen without seasonings or any prep unfortunately, a seasoned veggie, I would hope, knows what they are doing. That being said, when I did eat meat, I never once had a piece of turkey that didn't taste like how being thirsty feels
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I guess I am super duper rude as I always bring food with me because of my (medical) food restrictions.

Medical issues aren't a problem, it's just when someone is being a whiny baby about one meal because they may not like the food. Most people don't eat meat for a moral or religious reason. If you want to tell someone their rude for that let me know how it goes.

I have vegan friends and don't whine about it. I have lots of restrictions so I would never expect people to accommodate me and it's easier just to bring my own
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    I feel it extremely rude, and immature for you to think that of my turkey. I will eat my Turkey anywhere I feel like it... Even at your crazy Vegan Thanks Giving...
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just picture a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

I make a tofurky every year and tastes good, texture is good, stuffing is good. My little trick is to add alittle brown sugar to the marinade and let it marinade overnight or a few hours.

You do NOT show up with turkey in a tupperware at a vegan thanksgiving or bring your own food. That's extremely rude and immature. It's one meal, and you've eaten vegan food I bet, I mean have you never had a peanut butter sandwich or a bean burrito?

Not my fault you'd be a bad dinner guest, at least in my opinion.

I might make concessions to keep the peace and not offend you with my turkey and gravy. That would be largely depend, if you would come to my meat eating Thanks Giving and make the same concessions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    But you know, it may be a noble cause to do tofurkey. The turkey has become so abused over the years that it is insane. All that *kitten* is going inside our bodies... the enhanced food these turkeys eat.

q4nx4ed0stiz.jpg

I feel robbed. My store only had 19 lbs turkeys.
  • MarkR_2013
    MarkR_2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I never once had a piece of turkey that didn't taste like how being thirsty feels

Turkey does tend to be dry unless is roasted in a pan to keep the juices from draining out. That's what gravy and cranberry sauce are for.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I never once had a piece of turkey that didn't taste like how being thirsty feels

Turkey does tend to be dry unless is roasted in a pan to keep the juices from draining out. That's what gravy and cranberry sauce are for.

And brining it first really helps.
  • PowerMan40
    Options
    we deep fry all our turkeys and they are never dry...
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    The dark meat is usually moist (sorry about that word!)
  • MarkR_2013
    MarkR_2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I can't say I've ever had a deep fried turkey. Though, my mouth is watering thinking about it.
  • PowerMan40
    Options

why are you sorry for a word..... ? I don't get that...
  • singingflutelady
    Options

why are you sorry for a word..... ? I don't get that...

A lot of people have issues with that word ;)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I feel it extremely rude, and immature for you to think that of my turkey. I will eat my Turkey anywhere I feel like it... Even at your crazy Vegan Thanks Giving...
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just picture a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

I make a tofurky every year and tastes good, texture is good, stuffing is good. My little trick is to add alittle brown sugar to the marinade and let it marinade overnight or a few hours.

You do NOT show up with turkey in a tupperware at a vegan thanksgiving or bring your own food. That's extremely rude and immature. It's one meal, and you've eaten vegan food I bet, I mean have you never had a peanut butter sandwich or a bean burrito?

This is why I have very few non vegan friends

And the ones I do have are not so silly to think they can't eat vegan food once in a while when with me ...not like the world will end

If I invited someone to dinner and they brought meat to my house I dprobably never speak to them again
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

I can't say I've ever had a deep fried turkey. Though, my mouth is watering thinking about it.

Best. Thing. Ever. I will never roast a turkey again
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Tofurky? I cook it every year. It is really good. I like tofu, too, but Tofurky (to me) does not taste like tofu. Not sure why you don't like it if you've never tried it?
  • PowerMan40
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »

This is why I have very few non vegan friends

And the ones I do have are not so silly to think they can't eat vegan food once in a while when with me ...not like the world will end

If I invited someone to dinner and they brought meat to my house I dprobably never speak to them again

This is part of what is wrong with our world. Its ok to expect me to eat vegan at your house, and considered rude if, I brought turkey over. But its perfectly ok for you to come to my house with vegan food, and not partake in my meat eating food. If I say something to you about it, them Im the *kitten* hole.

You choose to eat that way, To me its like, Im Baptist and your Catholic, when Im around you, I have to act and believe Catholic, but you will never act and Believe Baptist with me. Always one sided.
  • HappyAnna2014
    Options

Good point!! At least where I live, most of the Asian restaurants (a good place to get tofu) totally butcher tofu. According to a Chinese-American friend, only the ones who cook authentic Asian cuisine get it right, the ones who Americanise it make it taste like rubber (or at least that is true of the ones I have tried). But the ones who get it right, wow, they REALLY get it right!! :smiley: Same with tofurky, if it is prepared correctly, it is AMAZING!!!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Good point!! At least where I live, most of the Asian restaurants (a good place to get tofu) totally butcher tofu. According to a Chinese-American friend, only the ones who cook authentic Asian cuisine get it right, the ones who Americanise it make it taste like rubber (or at least that is true of the ones I have tried). But the ones who get it right, wow, they REALLY get it right!! :smiley: Same with tofurky, if it is prepared correctly, it is AMAZING!!!

The best place I had tofu cooked at is a taquira in a burrito if you can believe that. Every asian place I've been to has no idea what they are doing with tofu, it's usually just plain raw thrown in some veggies with soysauce. Gross.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Tofurky? I cook it every year. It is really good. I like tofu, too, but Tofurky (to me) does not taste like tofu. Not sure why you don't like it if you've never tried it?

My aunt made it for Christmas one year. It was disgusting. I don't care how you season it, a big chunk of tofu, or whatever it is, is like the omnivore equivalent of a canned ham.
  • HappyAnna2014
    Options

My aunt made it for Christmas one year. It was disgusting. I don't care how you season it, a big chunk of tofu, or whatever it is, is like the omnivore equivalent of a canned ham.

That is the difference between you and the OP. You tried it, didn't like it. He hasn't even tried it. Different strokes for different folks, right? I don't like the texture of meat...which is why it was so easy to give it up...but I'm guessing you like meat. As I tell my (adult) son, "try it once, and if you don't like it...then don't eat it again." He's surprised himself at how he likes some vegan foods...but if he doesn't like it, I get the meat equivalent for him the next time. :smiley: The OP may surprise himself if he tries it...and love it! Or, he may not like it at all. In which case, if he brings some beans and rice, the vegans will be happy and he'll have a back-up source of protein. :smile:
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm still hung up on the OPs claim his girlfriend is ruining Thanksgiving for him, much less debate the merits of tofu.

Go, enjoy the company. Just might, against all odds, enjoy yourself.