My Gf's about to RUIN my thanksgiving!

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Try a little piece of it to be polite, maybe you can mix it in with something else on the table. Ihope you find something you like! Definitely stop on the way there and have yourself a meal, though.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Eat beforehand.
    You can claim a soy sensitivity. I have one if I ate tofurkey I'd be incredibly itchy. But don't take meat there...have it before
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I'd be upset because Thanksgiving foods holiday is my favorite but, I guess, I could try something different once. I'd secure some leftovers from a trusted source :) Unless gf unilaterally decides to make vegan TG a family tradition, then it's ruined
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Lol well, yeah I guess it would be a bit annoying. But just have the sides and a tiny bit of tofu I guess.

This
    synchkat wrote: »
    Eat beforehand.
    You can claim a soy sensitivity. I have one if I ate tofurkey I'd be incredibly itchy. But don't take meat there...have it before

And/or this

Id eat the sides to be polite .. Id have turkey afterwards and not necessarily before .. but i wouldn't really worry about a turkey when nobodys eating but you
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    the turkey is only the beginning of the issues here. what about the gravy the butter, and at least in my family my grandmother always made green beans with bacon.

• Interesting. If a vegan showed up to your home with tofurkey in a Tupperware it wouldn't be considered rude in the least. Did you know in advance this was a vegan thing? If not, your girlfriend owes you an apology and you should not feel bad about cancelling.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Man, she's awesome, but this upcoming trip is putting a major strain on things.

Actually, YOU are putting a strain on things. When you go over to a person's house for Thanksgiving, it won't be the same as at home. That may mean the food is different. You don't have to eat anything you don't want to, but people are not going to necessarily cater to your whims, either.

But as an adult, you know that you can be polite, gracious, and be a good guest no matter how much you hate tofu.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Travel out of town on motorcycle and smile.. guaranteed to get a few bugs along the way.. Bugs = protein.

You should see the thread "I swallowed a bug" .
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    I would tell her it's over. I'll eat thanksgiving with a dirty vegan never.

This.

I would have Thanksgiving dinner with the Taliban before sitting across the table with a Vegan.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    I once had to prepare a Thanksgiving meal with one (of four) guest being vegetarian (but eats seafood, pescatarian) and another one allergic to shellfish. It certainly was interesting trying to make it special

So did you just make it and open bar? with just olives, pearl onions, lime wedges and lemon slices for food? years ago i had planned a big family dinner, not on a holiday, lots of extended family on both sides... when people arrived the whining about the food choices began and like a good host i listened, make sure the bar was well stocked... kicked everybody out of my kitchen, finished making dinner, put it all in plastic bowls, left cans of soup sitting on the counter and left taking all the food....my wife was rather upset for a few weeks, mainly because i did not take her with me.
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    I haven't eaten meat in about 5 years.....not really a problem. there is always plenty of everything so don't sweat the meat...not to be confused with the meat sweats ~!~! btw is there really such as thing as tofurkey? it's real?
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    So your gf isn't vegan either - how is she feeling about tofurkey? I would presume you've actually discussed this with her already not just brought it straight here? if you came here first then you've got more to worry about than tofurkey my man!!!

Also why do meat free alternatives often have some sort of a twist on meat names (if you're vegan, you're vegan) - just call it bloody tofu if it's tofu!

Good luck :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    If I was in your shoes I'd get a bigmac eat it. Before you go into there place. Skip the tofurkey and eat everything else
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Go ahead and say something. Tell them yo are a Carnivore and would appreciate a meat dish. Vegans never seem to have a problem voicing their ideology and neither should you.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Oh man... how much do you like this gal? Coz unplanned Tofurkey could be a deal breaker...

Agree with this. If you can't eat meat, you certainly won't be eating her later.. maybe then you will be allowed some real food. :p
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Is it really YOUR Thanskgiving if you're visiting other people? Its not really YOUR Thanksgiving if you didn't make the plans
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    She said she wants to do things different this year, I obliged, so were traveling out of town to spend the holiday with her friends... long story short, they're vegan and making a to-furkey! I can't stand tofu! I dont wanna be rude and bail, I don't wanna show up with turkey in a tupperware, but I dnt know what I'm going to do! What about my macros? What about my gains?? :s

Don't be so negative. Make a meat free dish you like to share. Give their food a chance. Think about things other than food that make the day special.
    You can have meat every other day. Make a turkey at home and have what you like there.
  • rnbperfection
    rnbperfection Posts: 36 Member
    zenaxe wrote: »
    I haven't eaten meat in about 5 years.....not really a problem. there is always plenty of everything so don't sweat the meat...not to be confused with the meat sweats ~!~! btw is there really such as thing as tofurkey? it's real?

Yes, it's a vegetarian turkey replacement. I believe tofurkey is just the brand name of it, but its stuck in my head, and I don't know the "proper" name of a vegetarian turkey.. So tofurkey it remains lol
  • rnbperfection
    rnbperfection Posts: 36 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Go ahead and say something. Tell them yo are a Carnivore and would appreciate a meat dish. Vegans never seem to have a problem voicing their ideology and neither should you.

Not a bad idea RoadDod, thanks