My Gf's about to RUIN my thanksgiving!

Options
rnbperfection
rnbperfection Posts: 36 Member
She said she wants to do things different this year, I obliged, so were traveling out of town to spend the holiday with her friends... long story short, they're vegan and making a to-furkey! I can't stand tofu! I dont wanna be rude and bail, I don't wanna show up with turkey in a tupperware, but I dnt know what I'm going to do! What about my macros? What about my gains?? :s

Replies

• rnbperfection
    rnbperfection Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Man, she's awesome, but this upcoming trip is putting a major strain on things.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My view concerning this' that, it's just 1 day of several; with her! If your relationship fails due to 1 day, you might've several more; via inconvenience/pain because of becoming single! This situation isn't like, whether 1 of you desires; to have children & the other doesn't because that inconvenience'd be, a lifetime & thus' an understandable, deal breaker!
  • CarlDuffin1
    CarlDuffin1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Give a turkey a break this Thanksgiving and go for the Tofurkey. You may be impressed by the friend's culinary skills, which I presume you have never tried.
    It's one day in a year - what's to lose.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    Communication is the key to everything. Talk to your GF.. tell her about your concerns and that you don't like tofu.. Ask her if it's ok by her if you take your own food. That's not rude at all dude.
    My brother and his wife are vegan, they usually bring their own food to family gatherings and when they have us over, we bring our food.

I'd be leery over taking meat to a Vegan table, if they are NOT family. Some vegetarians/vegans cannot tolerate the smell of raw or cooked meat. They might think you rude, thereby misreading you. It's HER friend, make points.

Sorry... but the vegans I know aren't that way.. honestly didn't think there where so extreme vegans out there :confused: .. The ones I know usually don't care what other people eat as long as the other people won't give them hard time about their food choices.

So back to OP.. if they're that kind of vegans then talk to your GF before you bring food... :neutral:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes... ;) that will go nicely at the vegan table.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »

Sorry... but the vegans I know aren't that way.. honestly didn't think there where so extreme vegans out there :confused: .. The ones I know usually don't care what other people eat as long as the other people won't give them hard time about their food choices.

So back to OP.. if they're that kind of vegans then talk to your GF before you bring food... :neutral:

Some are a tad extreme. Triggers varies from scent & sight to their aversions due to religion/culture (DeficitDuchess) or advocacy.

• Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Protein shakes... ;) that will go nicely at the vegan table.

Coffee flavored protein shake....
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    just like when the majority of people have a dinner they often make a vegetarian or vegan dish to accommodate vegan diets. Would it be so wrong to request some meat? some real turkey? to accommodate your diet?

tit for tat

:smiley:
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I know this is just a joke and everything but honestly Thanksgiving isn't about the food, it's about being together and being thankful for what you have. You can cook something later and have a big dinner with all your normal thanksgiving food, just do this to make your girlfriend happy.
  • RazorMyMazor
    RazorMyMazor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "Ruin" seems abit extreme, ask for some extra vegan nibbles etc that you can put on your plate,
    and I'm sure they would understand if you brought some turkey in a container too.
    Her plan this year, means its your turn next year :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lol well, yeah I guess it would be a bit annoying. But just have the sides and a tiny bit of tofu I guess.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    perhaps you could claim a 'stomach flu' and stay home, then make a turkey dinner for yourself.

i would be annoyed if somebody arrived with their own 'main course' ... that said i do try and pay attention to needs of people with real food allergies mainly because i have one :) (shellfish)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Oh! All I could think about was the turkey, I actually forgot the vegans would probably (hopefully?) be serving the normal sides and deserts as well. OP maybe ask your normal crew to save you a huge chunk of turkey? Hehehehe sorry man I feel for you lol. Tofu on thanksgiving hahahaha

And no, I would not take meat to a vegan's house.