My Gf's about to RUIN my thanksgiving!

Replies

• PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    I feel it extremely rude, and immature for you to think that of my turkey. I will eat my Turkey anywhere I feel like it... Even at your crazy Vegan Thanks Giving...
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just picture a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

I make a tofurky every year and tastes good, texture is good, stuffing is good. My little trick is to add alittle brown sugar to the marinade and let it marinade overnight or a few hours.

You do NOT show up with turkey in a tupperware at a vegan thanksgiving or bring your own food. That's extremely rude and immature. It's one meal, and you've eaten vegan food I bet, I mean have you never had a peanut butter sandwich or a bean burrito?

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited November 2016
    As I've stated before, veganism is like religion; a belief rather than preference! It'd be wrong for me to stroll into a synagogue & preach about Christmas, as it'd be just as wrong to bring meat; to a vegan home because both of our places of worship & our homes're independent sanctuaries, away from the public! If we do invite/allow others different from us, to attend a wedding and/or a dinner, it's universally understood that if we disagree with and/or're unable to conform to their traditions/rules, that we aren't to attend!

This' why, I never; tell someone to: "Make themselves at home!", in my home because if they put their feet, on their coffee table; they then might've done that with mine & I don't allow that!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited November 2016
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    Skip the whole thing and go volunteer to feed homeless people instead.
    They've got real food issues and probably don't b!tch and moan over if tofu will ruin their Thanksgiving.

I agree, they're complaining about a; free meal!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    Here is one of the not-fun part of adulthood; relationships mean splitting holidays between your family/groups of friends and your partner's family/group of friends. Since she compromised last time, and you agree it's your turn, I'd go and only eat the sides that you want. If you don't want to miss real turkey, schedule a friendsgiving at your house when you get back & roast a turkey or turkey breast and do it up the way you want. As an alternative, most restaurants have some sort of Thanksgiving inspired option this time of year, maybe you can get your turkey fix elsewhere? Even some fast food places, like Boston Market & Starbucks have them this time of year, sometimes they are sandwiches that include stuffing & cranberry sauce.

You also mention that you are traveling out of town for this, Is it a day trip? If an overnight, are you staying with the friends, or at a hotel? If you are staying at a hotel, they will probably have a turkey dinner option that you can order there either before or after the dinner at the friend's house. Enjoy, safe travels, & good luck *_*

This advice, perfect.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just pitched a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

I make a tofurky every year and tastes good, texture is good, stuffing is good. My little trick is to add alittle brown sugar to the marinade and let it marinade overnight or a few hours.

You do NOT show up with turkey in a tupperware at a vegan thanksgiving or bring your own food. That's extremely rude and immature. It's one meal, and you've eaten vegan food I bet, I mean have you never had a peanut butter sandwich or a bean burrito?

Is it extremely rude and immature to bring vegan food or gluten free food or whatever food to a carnivore's meal?

Carnivore? So like a cat or wolf or something would be hosting the meal? I wouldn't eat what my cat dragged in no matter what it was LOL
  • littlechiaseed
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    I feel it extremely rude, and immature for you to think that of my turkey. I will eat my Turkey anywhere I feel like it... Even at your crazy Vegan Thanks Giving...
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just picture a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

Not my fault you'd be a bad dinner guest, at least in my opinion.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just pitched a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

Is it extremely rude and immature to bring vegan food or gluten free food or whatever food to a carnivore's meal?

Carnivore? So like a cat or wolf or something would be hosting the meal? I wouldn't eat what my cat dragged in no matter what it was LOL

I meant omnivore lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Tofu ain't turkey. I'd have turkey at home waiting if you're still going that party.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MarkR_2013
    MarkR_2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Eat something dead before hand to maintain your macros and keep your stomach quiet through dinner. After that, it's like what I tell my kids: Be polite, eat your vegetables, and you don't know you're not going to like it until you try it. If you're still going to raise a fuss, I suggest you take a pair of Growacet capsules.

BTW, make sure you have a couple of gas-x and pepto bismal tablets handy if you overindulge the tofu. If your system isn't use to the protein and roughage, it will let you know at the worst possible time. And, tofurkey really is that bad unless the chef is a genius with the seasoning.
  • singingflutelady
    I guess I am super duper rude as I always bring food with me because of my (medical) food restrictions.
  • littlechiaseed
    I guess I am super duper rude as I always bring food with me because of my (medical) food restrictions.

Medical issues aren't a problem, it's just when someone is being a whiny baby about one meal because they may not like the food. Most people don't eat meat for a moral or religious reason. If you want to tell someone their rude for that let me know how it goes.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Stay home.
  • MarkR_2013

That's medical. You get an automatic pass. Besides, it's generally considered polite to bring your own food if you're on a restrictive diet instead of requiring the host to try and make accommodations solely for you.
  • littlechiaseed
    MarkR_2013 wrote: »
    Eat something dead before hand to maintain your macros and keep your stomach quiet through dinner. After that, it's like what I tell my kids: Be polite, eat your vegetables, and you don't know you're not going to like it until you try it. If you're still going to raise a fuss, I suggest you take a pair of Growacet capsules.

BTW, make sure you have a couple of gas-x and pepto bismal tablets handy if you overindulge the tofu. If your system isn't use to the protein and roughage, it will let you know at the worst possible time. And, tofurkey really is that bad unless the chef is a genius with the seasoning.

Alot of inexperienced people who make them just chuck in the oven frozen without seasonings or any prep unfortunately, a seasoned veggie, I would hope, knows what they are doing. That being said, when I did eat meat, I never once had a piece of turkey that didn't taste like how being thirsty feels
  • singingflutelady

Medical issues aren't a problem, it's just when someone is being a whiny baby about one meal because they may not like the food. Most people don't eat meat for a moral or religious reason. If you want to tell someone their rude for that let me know how it goes.

I have vegan friends and don't whine about it. I have lots of restrictions so I would never expect people to accommodate me and it's easier just to bring my own
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    PowerMan40 wrote: »

Not my fault you'd be a bad dinner guest, at least in my opinion.

I might make concessions to keep the peace and not offend you with my turkey and gravy. That would be largely depend, if you would come to my meat eating Thanks Giving and make the same concessions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    But you know, it may be a noble cause to do tofurkey. The turkey has become so abused over the years that it is insane. All that *kitten* is going inside our bodies... the enhanced food these turkeys eat.

q4nx4ed0stiz.jpg

I feel robbed. My store only had 19 lbs turkeys.
  • MarkR_2013
    I never once had a piece of turkey that didn't taste like how being thirsty feels

Turkey does tend to be dry unless is roasted in a pan to keep the juices from draining out. That's what gravy and cranberry sauce are for.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    MarkR_2013 wrote: »
    I never once had a piece of turkey that didn't taste like how being thirsty feels

Turkey does tend to be dry unless is roasted in a pan to keep the juices from draining out. That's what gravy and cranberry sauce are for.

And brining it first really helps.