My Gf's about to RUIN my thanksgiving!

Options

Replies

• HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    I'm still hung up on the OPs claim his girlfriend is ruining Thanksgiving for him, much less debate the merits of tofu.

Go, enjoy the company. Just might, against all odds, enjoy yourself.

Excellent point. And, more in keeping with the spirit of the holiday than debating the merits of tofu. :smiley:
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    I feel it extremely rude, and immature for you to think that of my turkey. I will eat my Turkey anywhere I feel like it... Even at your crazy Vegan Thanks Giving...
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just picture a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

I make a tofurky every year and tastes good, texture is good, stuffing is good. My little trick is to add alittle brown sugar to the marinade and let it marinade overnight or a few hours.

You do NOT show up with turkey in a tupperware at a vegan thanksgiving or bring your own food. That's extremely rude and immature. It's one meal, and you've eaten vegan food I bet, I mean have you never had a peanut butter sandwich or a bean burrito?

This is why I have very few non vegan friends

And the ones I do have are not so silly to think they can't eat vegan food once in a while when with me ...not like the world will end

If I invited someone to dinner and they brought meat to my house I dprobably never speak to them again

This is part of what is wrong with our world. Its ok to expect me to eat vegan at your house, and considered rude if, I brought turkey over. But its perfectly ok for you to come to my house with vegan food, and not partake in my meat eating food. If I say something to you about it, them Im the *kitten* hole.

You choose to eat that way, To me its like, Im Baptist and your Catholic, when Im around you, I have to act and believe Catholic, but you will never act and Believe Baptist with me. Always one sided.

Wow, yeah. The vegan high horse is extraordinarily high.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I feel it extremely rude, and immature for you to think that of my turkey. I will eat my Turkey anywhere I feel like it... Even at your crazy Vegan Thanks Giving...
    In my experience most people who say they 'can't stand tofu' have either A. Never tried it and just picture a flavorless white block, or B. Had it once or twice prepared poorly.

I make a tofurky every year and tastes good, texture is good, stuffing is good. My little trick is to add alittle brown sugar to the marinade and let it marinade overnight or a few hours.

You do NOT show up with turkey in a tupperware at a vegan thanksgiving or bring your own food. That's extremely rude and immature. It's one meal, and you've eaten vegan food I bet, I mean have you never had a peanut butter sandwich or a bean burrito?

And the ones I do have are not so silly to think they can't eat vegan food once in a while when with me ...not like the world will end

If I invited someone to dinner and they brought meat to my house I dprobably never speak to them again

This is part of what is wrong with our world. Its ok to expect me to eat vegan at your house, and considered rude if, I brought turkey over. But its perfectly ok for you to come to my house with vegan food, and not partake in my meat eating food. If I say something to you about it, them Im the *kitten* hole.

You choose to eat that way, To me its like, Im Baptist and your Catholic, when Im around you, I have to act and believe Catholic, but you will never act and Believe Baptist with me. Always one sided.

I didn't know you were morally against eating food that doesn't contain animal products???? So I assume you never eat Oreos then eh?? Must be weird

Anytime people invite me over they either make sure they have vegan food for me or I bring my own

If that bothers them then I will not be attending

• thisonetimeatthegym
    Options

I didn't know you were morally against eating food that doesn't contain animal products???? So I assume you never eat Oreos then eh?? Must be weird

Anytime people invite me over they either make sure they have vegan food for me or I bring my own

So you don't eat meat, because of moral grounds...but you think open relationships are ok on moral grounds?

Why do I feel old all of a sudden?
  • salembambi
    Options

Good point!! At least where I live, most of the Asian restaurants (a good place to get tofu) totally butcher tofu. According to a Chinese-American friend, only the ones who cook authentic Asian cuisine get it right, the ones who Americanise it make it taste like rubber (or at least that is true of the ones I have tried). But the ones who get it right, wow, they REALLY get it right!! :smiley: Same with tofurky, if it is prepared correctly, it is AMAZING!!!

The best place I had tofu cooked at is a taquira in a burrito if you can believe that. Every asian place I've been to has no idea what they are doing with tofu, it's usually just plain raw thrown in some veggies with soysauce. Gross.

I buy this smoked garlic pepper tofu that is so amazing I will eat it straight out of the thing... I also eat tofu dessert cups but I'm a weirdo vegan lol mmmmmm caramel tofu dessert
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
  • salembambi
    Options

So you don't eat meat, because of moral grounds...but you think open relationships are ok on moral grounds?

Not sure where I ever talked about what I think about open relationships but that really has nothing to do with my morally choosing not to eat animal products

• thisonetimeatthegym
    Options

Not sure where I ever talked about what I think about open relationships but that really has nothing to do with my morally choosing not to eat animal products

Maybe I'm confusing you and the poly gal on here.

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Tofurky? I cook it every year. It is really good. I like tofu, too, but Tofurky (to me) does not taste like tofu. Not sure why you don't like it if you've never tried it?

My aunt made it for Christmas one year. It was disgusting. I don't care how you season it, a big chunk of tofu, or whatever it is, is like the omnivore equivalent of a canned ham.

It doesn't taste like plain tofu to me...maybe she made something else
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Dang..... first world problems
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

This is pretty straightforward to me since her diet is a subset of yours. You "can" eat everything she can, but the opposite is not the case.
  • salembambi
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

This is pretty straightforward to me since her diet is a subset of yours. You "can" eat everything she can, but the opposite is not the case.

Someone with a brain gets it !!!!
    Thank you
  • rnbperfection
    rnbperfection Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Tofurky? I cook it every year. It is really good. I like tofu, too, but Tofurky (to me) does not taste like tofu. Not sure why you don't like it if you've never tried it?

I'm judging off my past experience with tofu. Tofu "chicken teriyaki", tofu in miso soup, and one other dish I can't recall the name of. 2 of my tofu experiences were at restaurants, and one was home cooked. In all instances that I've given it a chance, it just didn't settle right with my taste.. I'm just not sure that thanksgiving is the greatest setting for me to be attempting this again.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Do you have family?
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

My aunt made it for Christmas one year. It was disgusting. I don't care how you season it, a big chunk of tofu, or whatever it is, is like the omnivore equivalent of a canned ham.

It doesn't taste like plain tofu to me...maybe she made something else

I was thinking the same as you!
  • rnbperfection
    rnbperfection Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Do
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Do you have family?

Yea, just not where we're going.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    Here is one of the not-fun part of adulthood; relationships mean splitting holidays between your family/groups of friends and your partner's family/group of friends. Since she compromised last time, and you agree it's your turn, I'd go and only eat the sides that you want. If you don't want to miss real turkey, schedule a friendsgiving at your house when you get back & roast a turkey or turkey breast and do it up the way you want. As an alternative, most restaurants have some sort of Thanksgiving inspired option this time of year, maybe you can get your turkey fix elsewhere? Even some fast food places, like Boston Market & Starbucks have them this time of year, sometimes they are sandwiches that include stuffing & cranberry sauce.

You also mention that you are traveling out of town for this, Is it a day trip? If an overnight, are you staying with the friends, or at a hotel? If you are staying at a hotel, they will probably have a turkey dinner option that you can order there either before or after the dinner at the friend's house. Enjoy, safe travels, & good luck *_*

How has this post only gotten one like?

Literally the smartest advice I've heard on the entire thread.

This lets him have a delicious Thanksgiving dinner, and not offend anyone.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Why take a plant and make it look like meat.

Isn't that like saying you hate tomato, but then go out of your way to mash up potato and Beetroot and mould it to look like a tomato and eat that instead.

Basically lol
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Why take a plant and make it look like meat.

Isn't that like saying you hate tomato, but then go out of your way to mash up potato and Beetroot and mould it to look like a tomato and eat that instead.

Some vegans, were once vegetarian and/or omnivores & might've enjoyed the taste, of meat, etc. but're substituting, for ethical reasoning!