Why do some people struggle with losing weight?

Options
I've known people, who eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise a lot. They always have trouble losing weight. What's gone wrong?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Lots of people in the South eat home cooked healthy food. They just eat too much of it, hence the high incidence of obesity in that part of the country.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    They are consuming more calories than they burn. Unless there is a medical condition, that is the only reason.
    This. They are most likely not watching their calorie intake.

Eating clean/healthy and exercise does not necessarily mean someone will lose weight.

Really, this is something that's often drastically understated by most people. It's MUCH more effective to restrict calories to lose weight, than it is to increase exercise to any appreciable degree. I can create a 1000 calorie deficit, even with my relatively piddly maintenance calories (2100) pretty easily. To burn an extra 1000 calories in a day via exercise? Yeah, I don't have a bunch of spare hours to spend making myself want to die on an elliptical. So what do you expect from the kind of people who think of walking their dog and washing laundry as exercise?

Walking the dog IS exercise. It might not burn as many calories per hour as running, but it is exercise. So is housework, under the right conditions. It's just hard to quantify compared to a lot of other things. That's why if people do it consistently it winds up under the activity level setting.

No, that's not exercise, unless you do them wearing full military loadouts of gear. Those are called "life". Just like food prep isn't exercise, unless you're a hibachi chef tossing knives and dodging fireballs all day.