Why do some people struggle with losing weight?

Options

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I've known people, who eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise a lot. They always have trouble losing weight. What's gone wrong?

The vast majority are ignorant of what is needed to lose weight. Many cannot get past personal demons around food. Many of us have been conditioned to unhealthy habits such as clean your plate. Combine this with the vast

I dont think the vast majority of them are ignorant, some are but not the vast majority.

Maybe the OP is asking the wrong question. Maybe the question really is: Why is some people I know content with beeing a little overweight?

Because not everyone is trying to lose weight. Maybe some people are happy the way they look and feel, but still want to eat "clean" and exercise but for health reasons and not weight reasons.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    johunt615 wrote: »
    It seems that CICO works except in rare medical instances.
    Even in these cases, CICO still works it is just more difficult to determine what CI or CO are.

For weightloss, yes, but there are very rare medical conditions that lower CO so much that to keep CI lower would lead to malnutrition. However, nobody on any website should be armchair diagnosing that sort of thing; it's a "go talk to your doctor" scenario.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    johunt615 wrote: »
    It seems that CICO works except in rare medical instances.
    Even in these cases, CICO still works it is just more difficult to determine what CI or CO are.

For weightloss, yes, but there are very rare medical conditions that lower CO so much that to keep CI lower would lead to malnutrition. However, nobody on any website should be armchair diagnosing that sort of thing; it's a "go talk to your doctor" scenario.

Absolutely. In no way am I suggesting that medical issues should not be considered in weight loss. This is more of a definition issue of CICO.

• CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've known people, who eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise a lot. They always have trouble losing weight. What's gone wrong?

During my first go-round trying to lose weight, I did many of these things (trying to eat healthier, drinking more water, exercise, calorie counting, etc.) but I think the central reason it didn't "stick" was because I approached it as a diet, not a lifestyle or mindset. I couldn't wait until I was no longer at 1200 calories. And the second I was happy enough with my body weight that I decided to not eat at 1200 calories, you can bet that all my progress flew right out the window.

BTW, I agree with the comment earlier that CICO is true, but the actual CI and CO are where things get complicated. Simply bringing up CICO is a very scientific approach (by "scientific" I mean evidence-based and clinical). However, we are not just physical beings, we are also emotionally-wrought, financially-bound, culturally-encased beings. While none of these things disqualify CICO, they all complicate it vastly in the day-to-day lives of nearly everyone. Knowing CICO is simple; executing it is a very individualized and frequently challenging process.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    z4oslo wrote: »

Most people will say CICO, however...
    http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html

It's far more complex.

Too bad we can't simply install critical thinking to the pack mentality on this forum.

I would have to agree.
    I havent been here for very long (july this year) but its quite clear that this forum is "run" by 15-20 people. Those people will in general have a big post count, they are likely to throw a title in your face, and some of them tend to flag posts they simply disagree with.

And yes, the answer is far more complex.
    For instance, we dont all have the same amount of fat cells in our body.

Odd... I find that it's typically newer members that misuse the flag system. Not always, but typically.

How do you know?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

It's far more complex.

Too bad we can't simply install critical thinking to the pack mentality on this forum.

I would have to agree.
    I havent been here for very long (july this year) but its quite clear that this forum is "run" by 15-20 people. Those people will in general have a big post count, they are likely to throw a title in your face, and some of them tend to flag posts they simply disagree with.

Odd... I find that it's typically newer members that misuse the flag system. Not always, but typically.

How do you know?

Because established users are more familiar with the rules than newbies and we get our (non abusive, non spam bit) posts flagged just as much as others
  • LAWoman72
    edited November 2016
    Options

It's far more complex.

I would have to agree.

How do you know?

Because established users are more familiar with the rules than newbies and we get our (non abusive, non spam bit) posts flagged just as much as others

I can see that this would make sense BUT I have been surprised before, on other forums. (I don't really have the "insider scoop" on this one in particular and I don't want to, this forum is just for fun, for me. But I don't see any reason for MFP to be entirely contrary to the typical forum as far as dynamics go.)

You never really know.

All you know is that you're making a common judgment about noobs, then cementing that "fact" by deciding, whether you know for real or not, that it must be the noobs flagging.

I'm not trying to be contrary, and in some cases what you say may be true, but...I haven't noticed, on internet forums in general, including this one, an overwhelming maturity and an "above it" mentality for established members. Established members are still people and in my experienced some longstanding folks (not all, of course) get KITTENED, with a capital P when anybody disagrees with their dictates, and respond accordingly, but more secretively in general.

I have also seen little mini-tiffs happen where supposed longstanding "friends" start an elementary-school secret reporting war against one another, then point the finger elsewhere. This is the internet, LOL. It's not really the last island of maturity in a see of tech or something. Just don't be so sure, is all I'm saying.

It doesn't matter anyway, really...I am sure the mods weed out what is a silly flag v. what is a legitimate flag. JMO.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

It's far more complex.

I would have to agree.

How do you know?

I can see that this would make sense BUT I have been surprised before, on other forums. (I don't really have the "insider scoop" on this one in particular and I don't want to, this forum is just for fun, for me. But I don't see any reason for MFP to be entirely contrary to the typical forum as far as dynamics go.)

You never really know.

All you know is that you're making a common judgment about noobs, then cementing that "fact" by deciding, whether you know for real or not, that it must be the noobs flagging.

I'm not trying to be contrary, and in some cases what you say may be true, but...I haven't noticed, on internet forums in general, including this one, an overwhelming maturity and an "above it" mentality for established members. Established members are still people and in my experienced some longstanding folks (certainly not all, of course) get KITTENED, with a capital P when anybody disagrees with their dictates, and respond accordingly.

I have also seen little mini-tiffs happen where supposed longstanding "friends" start an elementary-school secret reporting war against one another, then point the finger elsewhere. This is the internet, LOL. It's not really the last island of maturity in a see of tech or something. Just don't be so sure, is all I'm saying.

It doesn't matter anyway, really...I am sure the mods weed out what is a silly flag v. what is a legitimate flag. JMO.

Also if you flag someone and it is deemed silly (I flagged some for spam when I should have reported it as advertising as it was not a spam bot) the moderators send you a pm explaining the flag system and say that future misuses will resulting in warnings (which add up and can become banning) so it would be rather stupid to repeat the misdemeanor and risk being in jail and banned over flagging.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

It's far more complex.

I would have to agree.

How do you know?

MORE than others. It's almost always (or so it seems) when someone new comes in, spouts utter nonsense, and that nonsense is corrected by people who have actually learned better. The "veteran" posters end up with flags.

I don't know and I haven't kept track, but since the sort of topic you describe is bound to push buttons all over the place, I can see it being a flag-for-all no matter what...noobs, secret oldsters, anybody. Stuff like that tends to turn into a you-know-what storm. I don't know why. "No" should be enough. LOL.

Again, JMO.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

It's far more complex.

So, you're saying that you take in more calories than you burn and still lose weight? Please - share with the group!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

It's far more complex.

So, you're saying that you take in more calories than you burn and still lose weight? Please - share with the group!

No, that's not what he is saying at all. That is what you are assuming he is saying.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Oh, I would be one of those people! For me it's because I like to eat, drink and be merry. I like that a LOT. Sometimes I like it more than losing weight. Healthy food has calories too. But, oh boy, wouldn't it be great if it didn't!! ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

It's far more complex.

No, that's not what he is saying at all. That is what you are assuming he is saying.

Is this tongue in cheek?
  • LAWoman72
    Options

It's far more complex.

I would have to agree.

How do you know?

You never really know.

I'm not trying to be contrary, and in some cases what you say may be true, but...I haven't noticed, on internet forums in general, including this one, an overwhelming maturity and an "above it" mentality for established members. Established members are still people and in my experienced some longstanding folks (certainly not all, of course) get KITTENED, with a capital P when anybody disagrees with their dictates, and respond accordingly.

Also if you flag someone and it is deemed silly (I flagged some for spam when I should have reported it as advertising as it was not a spam bot) the moderators send you a pm explaining the flag system and say that future misuses will resulting in warnings (which add up and can become banning) so it would be rather stupid to repeat the misdemeanor and risk being in jail and banned over flagging.

Oh, this is good to know. So it's not a surprise or anything, "Hey, I've been flagging incorrectly..." The person is then warned? I should read the TOS once in a while, LOL.

This is good, IMO.

• Nicole_kayy
    Nicole_kayy Posts: 88 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Not saying this is the case for everyone, but some heath conditions make it harder to lose weight. PCOS and thyroid disorders are the two main medical reasons I'm aware of or Maybe they may be eating too much or not as healthy as you suspect? I know someone said PCOS is an excuse people use, but I believe it may actually make weight loss slower, even if you eat actual healthy foods and excerise daily (while having a calorie deficit). That being said, I do believe losing weight with PCOS is possible.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

It's far more complex.

Is this tongue in cheek?

No, I am not being tongue in cheek.

CICO is fat loss at the most basic level. Struggling with weight loss is a bigger issue than just looking at CICO.

I will use myself as an example. This year I lost 8 pounds from January through March. At the end of March my work-related stress shot through the roof for a variety of reasons. I increased my caloric deficit but saw no movement on the scale so I added more exercise. Still no movement on the scale. Meanwhile, my work stress increased again significantly, I lost my period, and my emotions were a mess (I am not a person who cries very often and I was crying every night.) Eventually I realized that my NEAT expenditure was in the tank and I started reading more about long term consequences of losing your period and how NEAT can dip significantly in a cut so I backed off on my deficit and on exercise. That went fairly well to destress me a bit. By that point I'd gone 5 months without losing a pound. Around that time I had a DEXA, the results of which were pretty terrible, and I pretty much said screw it and I ate whatever I wanted for 6 weeks. The plus side of that was that my period finally returned but the minus was that I gained some weight. At the most basic level was that due to CICO? Absolutely. But was my struggle simply due to CICO? No way. My struggle was with balancing a variety of issues going on in my life, not simply what I was eating.

If people think my problems this year were simply due to:
    • a disconnect in [my]self-control between "I want" and "I will"
    • Nothing is my fault, I'm a special snowflake, and I'm amazing no matter what.
    • because I hide behind excuses 80% of the time, And 19.9% is just lack of educating [myself].

...that's all fine. I'm not fragile enough to get bogged down by those comments. But others who may not have been at the weight loss game very long may be and I truly feel for them.

Then, what is the OP saying? I missed it.