Why do some people struggle with losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    jo_nz wrote: »
    I absolutely count walking my dog as exercise.
    Yes, that's just part of life in some ways, but I'd argue that going to the gym is also part of life for those that choose to include that. Plus before we had the dog, I was definitely walking less so it's not actually part of my life-without-dog.

I'm not physically able to do some types of exercise (thanks to an old injury), and some I just don't like. Including things I can do and enjoy is actually a much better way for me to get exercise than trying to make a habit of something that just is not going to happen.

(sorry, this was meant to be a reply to some up-thread posts but I have managed to muck up the quoting! Oops.)

It's fine, it's obvious that you were replying to either my post, or one that replied to it. I think a lot of people missed my point in the noise that followed. So long as you realize that walking your dog is not equivalent to setting an elliptical to max resistance, or doing metabolic work with weights, it's fine to consider it exercise. It's the mental aspect that seems to trip up some. Exercise usually translates into the need to eat more, and with the excessive burn estimates, a chronic dog walker could be duped into believing that they "deserve" or even "need" that extra thousand calories that they didn't actually burn.
    But you're still missing their point, too. With Max elliptical or heavy weights, one could still overly estimate their calorie burn and eat way too much, finding themselves unable to lose at their desired pace. They're explaining their chosen, or in some cases, designated forms of exercise to you, and how this could be max exertion, not to mention result getting, for them

I have yet to meet a person who legitimately trains hard and doesn't have their diet in at least some kind of check to begin with. I do however, see a lot of "dogwalkers and housecleaners" who are confused as to why they aren't losing weight.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's just part of life in some ways, but I'd argue that going to the gym is also part of life for those that choose to include that. Plus before we had the dog, I was definitely walking less so it's not actually part of my life-without-dog.

I'm not physically able to do some types of exercise (thanks to an old injury), and some I just don't like. Including things I can do and enjoy is actually a much better way for me to get exercise than trying to make a habit of something that just is not going to happen.

(sorry, this was meant to be a reply to some up-thread posts but I have managed to muck up the quoting! Oops.)

It's fine, it's obvious that you were replying to either my post, or one that replied to it. I think a lot of people missed my point in the noise that followed. So long as you realize that walking your dog is not equivalent to setting an elliptical to max resistance, or doing metabolic work with weights, it's fine to consider it exercise. It's the mental aspect that seems to trip up some. Exercise usually translates into the need to eat more, and with the excessive burn estimates, a chronic dog walker could be duped into believing that they "deserve" or even "need" that extra thousand calories that they didn't actually burn.
    But you're still missing their point, too. With Max elliptical or heavy weights, one could still overly estimate their calorie burn and eat way too much, finding themselves unable to lose at their desired pace. They're explaining their chosen, or in some cases, designated forms of exercise to you, and how this could be max exertion, not to mention result getting, for them

I have yet to meet a person who legitimately trains hard and doesn't have their diet in at least some kind of check to begin with. I do however, see a lot of "dogwalkers and housecleaners" who are confused as to why they aren't losing weight.

Meet Mirna Valerio
    http://rw.runnersworld.com/selects/ultra.html

Its a damn good read.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »

Meet Mirna Valerio

Its a damn good read.

I'd hardly call 25 miles per week hard training. Even still, thank you for that, and it is well beyond the "dogwalking and housecleaning" I've mentioned. I'd actually be interested to see more details on what and how much she consumes, but of course, that wasn't the focus of the article, so I didn't really expect it to be there. Besides "no matter how much I run, I can't lose any more weight" just sounds good to the fatties who don't even want to try, even though that's probably not what they were going for.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Meet Mirna Valerio

Its a damn good read.

That's great that she runs and all. And I've seen that article before. Her health is still at risk due to her obesity. Yes, I'm going to be that person.

I'm a runner too. Admittedly, she puts in more miles than I do, but I'm no longer obese.

I get it. Food is a powerful draw. It's a tough entanglement, this thing a lot of people have with food and letting go of it. She's obviously not there yet.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Being overweight is hard.

Losing weight is hard.

Pick your hard.

^^ love this!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Meet Mirna Valerio

Its a damn good read.

That's great that she runs and all. And I've seen that article before. Her health is still at risk due to her obesity. Yes, I'm going to be that person.

I'm a runner too. Admittedly, she puts in more miles than I do, but I'm no longer obese.

I get it. Food is a powerful draw. It's a tough entanglement, this thing a lot of people have with food and letting go of it. She's obviously not there yet.

^^This.

Being overweight is hard.

Losing weight is hard.

Pick your hard.

I actually copied this onto a sticky note a while back which is on my mirror. :smiley:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

So my understanding is that you're highlighting some sort of correlation, where a "legitimate" hard trainer is more likely to be an advanced diet / calorie monitor. I wonder if there are fewer "legit" trainers overall, which could contribute to a smaller total number of those that do not realize they need to have their calories in check. Also, I would say that lifting heavy appears to require a lot of skill and research, and in the process of acquiring those, one might be more likely to, at the very least, stumble across calorie information and take it more seriously. Finally, I'd like to say that anecdotally, yeah, I've come across a couple heavy lifters who still struggled with their weight, and at least one had not made the calorie connection at all
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think it's largely due to misinformation. They believe the packages that say "lite", they believe the articles that say "carbs are the devil", they believe "no pain, no gain", they believe Dr Oz that there's a new berry discovered in the rainforest that somehow sets fat on fire.

You don't see articles in the paper about simply being aware of the calories you're consuming and burning. Eat less, move more. It's that simple.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

There are an awful lot of powerlifters who carry some serious excess body fat for this to be necessarily true.

That is "functional weight" or however one likes to justify it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

There are an awful lot of powerlifters who carry some serious excess body fat for this to be necessarily true.

That is "functional weight" or however one likes to justify it.

LOL. Yes, I know that's the justification. It never stops being funny.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree with this
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Absolutely agree with this

Spoken by a powerlifter who does not carry excess body fat!

I think that depends on the definition of excess :)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Meet Mirna Valerio

According to the article she claims she doesn't binge, eats healthy food, but doesn't monitor her intake by restricting calories or otherwise. IMHO, not controlling intake despite exercise could be a contributing factor to her weight. I run the same distance per week as her on an average non- training week (about 25 miles), along with weight training, and lose weight. I monitor what I eat, even the healthy food, either on MFP or another app.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much nail down the month i stopped losing weight regularly and pretty effortlessly... It was around the time i got a fitbit and started exercising! I'm not talking hardcore exercise either, just walking a lot, 15kms (10ishm) a day, 7 days a week.
    Probably 2 reasons for it, my appetite spiked and i was nibbling on stuff here and there without logging it or adding an extra scoop to dinner, and the over inflated number fitbit was giving me lulled me into a false sense of security.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

That is a good point, but most of the time, one could easily argue that those guys know EXACTLY what they are doing. I see it the most among the "nattybro" powerlifters who try to chase the numbers of guys on gear using cheeseburgers as fuel. CT Fletcher was actually a prime example of this years ago, and it nearly killed him.