Why do some people struggle with losing weight?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand it...

One of my family members who was overweight for 30 years never called people fat, never said anything remotely offensive about the overweight/obese.

Last year she lost a lot of weight. She looks stunning, but she now has started telling "fat" jokes, she has picked out friends and strangers to talk about their weight and making fun of these people. She has no feeling.

I don't think I comprehend not having compassion for folks.
    They may be in your way at the store however you have no idea if they spent an hour in the gym for the first time that morning, perhaps they just started their diet and are taking up the isle trying to read nutrition labels (sorry folks in the Hawaiian state if I've slowed you up I'm just trying to figure out my macros:)), you don't know if they are in the scooter because they had a car accident (overweight folks drive too) or cancer.

Having said all that...

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry it seems every single person begins walking in slow motion, I give an equal opportunity for all folks to annoy me:).

Fair points around, and I will admit to being in an automatically biased state. My local Walmart is only two and a half miles from my apartment, so I usually walk there to shop. Of course, after walking almost three miles in a weighted vest, anyone moving at...average American speed is going to grind the hell out of my nerves.

My question is: why the weighted vest? Are you in a high risk job like law inforcement? or with your delicate way of talking to people, have you angered people enough in your area that you have to wear that vest for protection? Just curious..... ;)

Weighted vests aren't bulletproof vests. It's simply a vest with a bunch of weight added to it to increase resistance. A lot of the thermo adaption we see with weight loss comes from the loss of bodyweight. Wearing the vest, I get the same resistance walking at my current weight, as I did when I was 200 lbs.

ETA: also no, you'd be amazed at how quickly people kowtow and turn into quivering sissies about their behavior if you actually say something to them assertively. This is especially true when other members of the public laugh audibly at the statements you make. It's almost like a lot of people are thinking the same things that I say; they just don't say them.

I would agree that there are people that are thinking what you are saying, so in a way you're doing a service speaking your mind--I don't have a problem with it myself. However, if wearing a weighted vest makes you crabby while shopping, you might want to re-evaluate if it's necessary on those trips.

It's not about the vest. It's about the fact that I walked two and a half miles to the store, with a small child worth of weight strapped to me, and still manage to walk like a normal person. The people I am talking about irritating me barely had to slog their *kitten* from a second row parking spot, and still can't move fast enough to get out of their own way.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

One of my family members who was overweight for 30 years never called people fat, never said anything remotely offensive about the overweight/obese.

Last year she lost a lot of weight. She looks stunning, but she now has started telling "fat" jokes, she has picked out friends and strangers to talk about their weight and making fun of these people. She has no feeling.

They may be in your way at the store however you have no idea if they spent an hour in the gym for the first time that morning, perhaps they just started their diet and are taking up the isle trying to read nutrition labels (sorry folks in the Hawaiian state if I've slowed you up I'm just trying to figure out my macros:)), you don't know if they are in the scooter because they had a car accident (overweight folks drive too) or cancer.

Having said all that...

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry it seems every single person begins walking in slow motion, I give an equal opportunity for all folks to annoy me:).

Fair points around, and I will admit to being in an automatically biased state. My local Walmart is only two and a half miles from my apartment, so I usually walk there to shop. Of course, after walking almost three miles in a weighted vest, anyone moving at...average American speed is going to grind the hell out of my nerves.

My question is: why the weighted vest? Are you in a high risk job like law inforcement? or with your delicate way of talking to people, have you angered people enough in your area that you have to wear that vest for protection? Just curious..... ;)

Weighted vests aren't bulletproof vests. It's simply a vest with a bunch of weight added to it to increase resistance. A lot of the thermo adaption we see with weight loss comes from the loss of bodyweight. Wearing the vest, I get the same resistance walking at my current weight, as I did when I was 200 lbs.

ETA: also no, you'd be amazed at how quickly people kowtow and turn into quivering sissies about their behavior if you actually say something to them assertively. This is especially true when other members of the public laugh audibly at the statements you make. It's almost like a lot of people are thinking the same things that I say; they just don't say them.

I would agree that there are people that are thinking what you are saying, so in a way you're doing a service speaking your mind--I don't have a problem with it myself. However, if wearing a weighted vest makes you crabby while shopping, you might want to re-evaluate if it's necessary on those trips.

It's not about the vest. It's about the fact that I walked two and a half miles to the store, with a small child worth of weight strapped to me, and still manage to walk like a normal person. The people I am talking about irritating me barely had to slog their *kitten* from a second row parking spot, and still can't move fast enough to get out of their own way.

I'd start looking into online grocery shopping :lol:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Having said all that...

I actually use that for most things now. Unfortunately, I don't see greek yogurt and Eggbeaters doing too well through the USPS, even if it were available. ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Having said all that...

I actually use that for most things now. Unfortunately, I don't see greek yogurt and Eggbeaters doing too well through the USPS, even if it were available. ;)

Make your own yogurt and keep laying hens. Lol
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Having said all that...

I'm sure it would be appreciated by the people who are complaining in other corners of the Internet about how unpleasant it is to grocery shop around some guy who is all sweaty from walking three miles in a weighted vest ("I'm trying to sniff the tomatoes and melons to see if they're ripe, and all I can smell is ...")

You mean like, "quick, block the aisle so he doesn't come this way again!! :s "
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Having said all that...

I'm sure it would be appreciated by the people who are complaining in other corners of the Internet about how unpleasant it is to grocery shop around some guy who is all sweaty from walking three miles in a weighted vest ("I'm trying to sniff the tomatoes and melons to see if they're ripe, and all I can smell is ...")

Nail polish remover if their noses are worth a damn. It's a side effect of keto, and the least I can do to repay them for the kindness of being in my way. ;)