Why do some people struggle with losing weight?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Bums me out.

I had some hope for him since he is also studying psychology. I think it would help some people understand why they can't control their CI. Oh well.

Going to by some fish oil just in case :D

Dan used to be the go-to guy for weight loss advice when I signed up in 2012. I didn't follow his IPORM because it was too much stuff thrown at me at one time. I ended up following MFP and my Fitbit instead. IDK what happened to move him onto the semi-woo platform.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I think what really going on is a huge misunderstanding. Calories matter. Thermodynamics matter. It's not as simple to take a calculator and say, eat XYZ and you'll lose weight.
    Pulling information from other threads confused things too because it's changing context.

You can, in generally healthy people, calculate to an extent someone's calories but TDEE is a moving target with too many variables exist!

Diet adherence and habit change is the number 1 factor that will determine if someone can make their goals or not. The sad truth is the amount of recidivism is 90+% with dieters gaining back 3% more weight than when they first started. Pursuing the psychological route and changing habits one at a time is the way that will change people's lives for the long run.

I'm done here. Point taken. Goodbye.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    TIL it's okay to be fat if you're chasing lifting records, but not your dog ;)

Nope, it's nasty then too, they just don't even feel bad about it, because the concept of relative strength vs. absolute strength is completely lost on most people.

Well, *kitten*. I thought that was such an obvious joke, but forgot who I was talking to! (You haven't been secretive about your views on that topic). For the record I think it's okay to be whatever shape you are, especially if you're happy with it!

I'm cool with people being whatever they want, with two conditions. 1: they are actually happy with themselves, and not publicly smiling while contemplating swallowing razorblades in private. 2: their condition does not interfere with the doings of others. Unfortunately, 2 is commonly problematic. When it takes me an extra 40 minutes to shop, due to the trundling hoardes of adipose tissue in my way, I take issue with it.

Do you honestly get inconvenienced by people specifically because those people are fat?

You can't tell me that you've never had to walk a six aisle circuit because the five you needed to get down were impossible to navigate without trying to play running back through motorized carts and people who can barely get out of their own way. If not, I might consider moving where you live.

Is that a yes to my question?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bums me out.

I had some hope for him since he is also studying psychology. I think it would help some people understand why they can't control their CI. Oh well.

Going to by some fish oil just in case :D

Dan used to be the go-to guy for weight loss advice when I signed up in 2012. I didn't follow his IPORM because it was too much stuff thrown at me at one time. I ended up following MFP and my Fitbit instead. IDK what happened to move him onto the semi-woo platform.

Just what are they teaching psych majors these days? Could that be it?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Nope, it's nasty then too, they just don't even feel bad about it, because the concept of relative strength vs. absolute strength is completely lost on most people.

Well, *kitten*. I thought that was such an obvious joke, but forgot who I was talking to! (You haven't been secretive about your views on that topic). For the record I think it's okay to be whatever shape you are, especially if you're happy with it!

I'm cool with people being whatever they want, with two conditions. 1: they are actually happy with themselves, and not publicly smiling while contemplating swallowing razorblades in private. 2: their condition does not interfere with the doings of others. Unfortunately, 2 is commonly problematic. When it takes me an extra 40 minutes to shop, due to the trundling hoardes of adipose tissue in my way, I take issue with it.

Do you honestly get inconvenienced by people specifically because those people are fat?

You can't tell me that you've never had to walk a six aisle circuit because the five you needed to get down were impossible to navigate without trying to play running back through motorized carts and people who can barely get out of their own way. If not, I might consider moving where you live.

It wasn't an answer at all, it was a pointed question. I barely notice them at all so long as they aren't actually in my way. This applies to everyone who fits thay description. It just so happens that more often than not, around here, they happen to be of the rather robust and wheezy variety.
  • SideSteel
    Options

It wasn't an answer at all, it was a pointed question. I barely notice them at all so long as they aren't actually in my way. This applies to everyone who fits thay description. It just so happens that more often than not, around here, they happen to be of the rather robust and wheezy variety.

Is there a reason you didn't answer the question?
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited November 2016
    Options

I just did.

ETA: more direct answer: no, it's because they are in my way, in a fashion that makes it unreasonable to navigate around them in a timely fashion.
  • SideSteel
    edited November 2016
    Options

I just did.

It sounds to me like all you're saying is that people get in your way and usually they are fat based on your observations.

And because of this you dislike fat people.

Edit: Just saw your edit, thanks for clarifying.

So if someone gets in your way and they aren't fat, which I'm sure happens often, I'm assuming you are equally irritated?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I just did.

It sounds to me like all you're saying is that people get in your way and usually they are fat based on your observations.

And because of this you dislike fat people.

Edit: Just saw your edit, thanks for clarifying.

So if someone gets in your way and they aren't fat, which I'm sure happens often, I'm assuming you are equally irritated?

Absolutely. However, since moving to this area I could put the following rough percentages to it: 65-75% the obese, 10-20% the elderly, the remaining tend to be both.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE gets in my way when i go shopping, for groceries, clothes whatever. I have my shopping list and map out my route and power walk through it. I hate, hate, hate shopping and like to get in and out as quickly as possible!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 you did rather give the impression that it was their obesity in particular that was inconveniencing you, rather than just their obtuseness. If the people who blocked the aisles in my supermarket all happened to be accountants, I wouldn't go on an accountancy forum and start telling people they should change careers because they're inconveniencing me by being accountants.

Not that being fat is a career, nor is this a forum for people who are training to be fat or practicing professional obesity.

The more I consider this the weaker my metaphor becomes.

It did kind of fall apart, but I get your point. However, look at it this way: if every third car that got in your way or cut tou off was a Porsche, regardless of color or model, you'd eventually start to feel like every damned Porsche driver is an inconsiderate douche.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm trying to understand it...

One of my family members who was overweight for 30 years never called people fat, never said anything remotely offensive about the overweight/obese.

Last year she lost a lot of weight. She looks stunning, but she now has started telling "fat" jokes, she has picked out friends and strangers to talk about their weight and making fun of these people. She has no feeling.

I don't think I comprehend not having compassion for folks.
    They may be in your way at the store however you have no idea if they spent an hour in the gym for the first time that morning, perhaps they just started their diet and are taking up the isle trying to read nutrition labels (sorry folks in the Hawaiian state if I've slowed you up I'm just trying to figure out my macros:)), you don't know if they are in the scooter because they had a car accident (overweight folks drive too) or cancer.

Having said all that...

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry it seems every single person begins walking in slow motion, I give an equal opportunity for all folks to annoy me:).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

One of my family members who was overweight for 30 years never called people fat, never said anything remotely offensive about the overweight/obese.

Last year she lost a lot of weight. She looks stunning, but she now has started telling "fat" jokes, she has picked out friends and strangers to talk about their weight and making fun of these people. She has no feeling.

They may be in your way at the store however you have no idea if they spent an hour in the gym for the first time that morning, perhaps they just started their diet and are taking up the isle trying to read nutrition labels (sorry folks in the Hawaiian state if I've slowed you up I'm just trying to figure out my macros:)), you don't know if they are in the scooter because they had a car accident (overweight folks drive too) or cancer.

Having said all that...

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry it seems every single person begins walking in slow motion, I give an equal opportunity for all folks to annoy me:).

Fair points around, and I will admit to being in an automatically biased state. My local Walmart is only two and a half miles from my apartment, so I usually walk there to shop. Of course, after walking almost three miles in a weighted vest, anyone moving at...average American speed is going to grind the hell out of my nerves.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Having said all that...

Fair points around, and I will admit to being in an automatically biased state. My local Walmart is only two and a half miles from my apartment, so I usually walk there to shop. Of course, after walking almost three miles in a weighted vest, anyone moving at...average American speed is going to grind the hell out of my nerves.

Now that I can identify with (well not the weighted vest tho:)).
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I've never had this problem. Usually it's people who lack the common sense and manners to make space for others and let their kids run through the aisles like it's the playground who are the problem.

But seriously, I don't know your background in terms of weight history, but I'm not thrilled with how insensitive you're being toward anyone who's not such a fine physical specimin as yourself. The universe works in funny ways, if you know what I mean.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I've never had this problem. Usually it's people who lack the common sense and manners to make space for others and let their kids run through the aisles like it's the playground who are the problem.

But seriously, I don't know your background in terms of weight history, but I'm not thrilled with how insensitive you're being toward anyone who's not such a fine physical specimin as yourself. The universe works in funny ways, if you know what I mean.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 you did rather give the impression that it was their obesity in particular that was inconveniencing you, rather than just their obtuseness. If the people who blocked the aisles in my supermarket all happened to be accountants, I wouldn't go on an accountancy forum and start telling people they should change careers because they're inconveniencing me by being accountants.

Not that being fat is a career, nor is this a forum for people who are training to be fat or practicing professional obesity.

The more I consider this the weaker my metaphor becomes.

It did kind of fall apart, but I get your point. However, look at it this way: if every third car that got in your way or cut tou off was a Porsche, regardless of color or model, you'd eventually start to feel like every damned Porsche driver is an inconsiderate douche.

I feel that way about suv's :rage: