WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2016

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    sorry for all these big pictures, I have finally gotten the hang of posting pictures directly from my files, no going thru slow as molasses Photobucket.com!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    LOVE the jewelry tree!!!!! you outta sell that stuff!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    It was pretty easy to make, and I would have to haunt the thrift stores for costume jewelry necklaces and fax diamond clip on earrings. Then its just a great frame, some felt, and a piece of thin plywood. You drill holes in the shape of a tree, with enough for a small string of lights. I would buy a couple of sets of those specific lights though, then you don't have to figure out sizing etc. Make sure the felt covers the hole openings, and that the felt won't make the holes too small to push the lights thru. Make the earrings the same on both sides because it looks cool. Find earrings that are really sparkly, and the lights can shine on them. I have added stuff through out the years, (find the small starfish, and a locket with my middle sons pic in it, plus various beads). The base of the tree looks cool if you find clip on sparkly decorations that are used on tops of shoes, (in the day). My Mom and I had a blast making both my own Advent calendar, and the jewelry tree. My Mom was like DIY Queen making our Barbie clothes, and our own clothes for that matter.
    Becca
    in grey dark Oregon at 4:25Pm
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    evening ladies~
    I am in pajama's, we got here without incident .. and it is about 70 degrees :D did stop to see our renter who is down here staying with her gentleman friend, of course I stopped and they wanted me in and I had a small glass of wine, that was after I went into the throngs of people at Walmart to grocery shop,gosh I hate going to Walmart on a weekend...
    went to Steak and Shake for a quick dinner and now to finally have a good nights sleep....
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Yay caught up again! Today was filled with making up a menu for dinners next week, laundry, dishes - thought about reorganizing my bedroom but not too hard as I stayed in my room (in my jammies) on the computer in between all the chores. I have a roast with potatoes and carrots in the oven. I haven't made one in a very long time so it had better be especially good. Remember when a chuck roast was a $1 something a pound? Now it's an arm and a leg!

RJ had a friend spend the night so they were up late and he's in prime mode today. Poor Zac always takes the brunt of it! Boys! Why couldn't they have been girls???

Beth so sorry about your mom's diagnosis. I am sending up a healing prayer for her and ((((hugs))))) to you.

Thinking about Liz. Has she been on lately?

Becca - love all of your crafts! Thanks for including me on your advent calendar

Remember the cartoon about the woman having the hot flash melting the snow on the car? I would love it if she would stand in front of my freezer and defrost it! I am definitely not looking forward to defrosting it and not going to do it in this weather. It will probably end up being a spring cleaning type thing. This is my big freezer that sits in the garage. If it were in the house it wouldn't be a problem.

Lenora - something you said made me laugh out loud but can't remember what it was. But the blood being smeared on the face made me go "Yuck." I had an uncle who was a hunter. Had a huge taxidermied polar bear in his pool house in a "I'm gonna get you" stance. Used to scare the **** out of people who went out there in the dark and didn't know it was there. They also always had venison in their freezer.

Time to go get another load out of the dryer, put the load from the washer into the dryer, and put the last load of towels to wash. Boys!!! Did I already say that?

Later gators,

Gloria in rainy WA where those cats and dogs are piling up! Some of them have taken Lenora's advice and are:
    6von9rkxwgkq.gif

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
    Cars on the brain today. I went to a family party and talked to my cousin's son who is an auto mechanic. He was very helpful. He said many of these technological advancements are here to stay and many will be fixed by replacing circuit boards if need be. He did think I should sell my 2003 rather than trade it in. He even already had a potential buyer depending on how I price it. He knows my car and he knows I maintain it well. Tomorrow I will test drive the car I am interested in. I know I do not have to buy tomorrow. I can give myself time.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited December 2016
    Cars on the brain today. I went to a family party and talked to my cousin's son who is an auto mechanic. He was very helpful. He said many of these technological advancements are here to stay and many will be fixed by replacing circuit boards if need be. He did think I should sell my 2003 rather than trade it in. He even already had a potential buyer depending on how I price it. He knows my car and he knows I maintain it well. Tomorrow I will test drive the car I am interested in. I know I do not have to buy tomorrow. I can give myself time.

:heart: Margaret

Just before I logged on I told my DH I want a car. And here is the first thing I see! My Jeep died and was junked on Friday. I am looking for a car that would last a couple of years until my DH retires. let me know what you want I have the cash in hand. I would like to buy from someone that I know maintains like you do.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I'm sending (((hugs))) to you and your DH because of the family worries. I hope they are resolved fairly and people can move forward without anxiety, anger or heartache. :heart:

CSSJo9: Welcome back. You've been missed. :smiley:

Pip: I love the photos!!!!! Congratulations on your 7.53 minute mile and Kirby for his run, too. :bigsmile:

Meg: I'm sure we'd have enjoyed your company last night. This is an annual event in our little community where the ships come for one night a year. There are nightly Christmas Ship parades on the Willamette and Columbia Rivers in Portland for several weeks before Chirstmas. The "ships" are pleasure boats and most of them seem to be somewhere in the 30-40' size range. A few are larger or smaller. :star:

Mary: I love the dog family Christmas Tree cartoon. :bigsmile:

Becca: I love the Christmas Calendar and recognize more than a few faces. I like the jewelry tree, too. I agree with Pip. You could sell the lighted jewelry trees at Sunday Market in Astoria. I bet you would do very well, especially toward the fall. :smiley:

Margaret: I hope you find a car you like at a fair price. I also hope you can enjoy the process, or it is at least business like. I've only had one super negative car buying experience, and it was for the Touareg. The dealership sales force was awful and so was DH. I never want to endure than kind of pressure again. :noway: I could deal with car dealership people a lot easier than I could deal with DH. He had his heart set on buying that car and they knew it. :devil: :grumble:

Now that the house is protected from raccoons I am beginning to focus on Christmas and gift giving. I need to make up for lost time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Had a busy weekend doing family Christmas things. We got to see DGS's and DGD's basketball games, did some shopping then attended a wonderful Christmas program at a mega church. A member told us there were 500 in the choir and about 20,000 members. Then a surprise treat when friends of my son couldn't use tickets to a Christmas Tea at one of the old mansion in Dallas so my 10 year old granddaughter and I went. It was lovely and as we were leaving she said, "This is a Christmas memory".
    Book club Christmas luncheon tomorrow and I am helping host. One more party on Wednesday nite then we leave for FL on Thursday. I am afraid to get on the scales tomorrow but I will do it.
    Loved the pictures of the tractor parade.
    SueBDew in TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Gloria - I like you kitty doing hula hooping. I need to get started doing mine. Lost my post I was doing; MFP froze up on me again.

RANT! Several hundred motorcyclist in the K-Mart parking lot. I was going into the store, when I heard a big one rev up his motor and came riding through the lane in front of the store, easily going 35mph. Did not even slow down at the 100' wide pedestrian walk. I yelled that he was going too fast; but, I doubt he heard anything with the helmet on. I hate it when people drive through parking lots as if they are their own playground, never looking for traffic in the lanes properly.

I went over to where they were holding an auction; and, mentioned to one that the guy had been speeding in front of the store. I might as well have been speaking Russian. He looked at me and turned around. So I drove over to the group, got out of my car, and went up to the table in front of the auctioneer. I told the ladies there about the incident and one, very sarcastically said, 'We're NOT the police here!" No Shoot-A-Monkey ... you're just a bunch of low-lifers at this point. As I turned her (probably about) 8-year-old said, 'we did not do it, we did not do it'. How rude ... I pulled my cellphone out and the darn battery was dead. I had planned on calling 9-1-1 and reporting it. Instead I went to the front desk and told the lady there what had happened. She called the store manager and then said that he'd go out and talk to them. He knew several of the personally.

I know they do 'good' by raising money at Christmas time for toys; but, there is 'no need' in being outright rude; she could have asked the auctioneer to announce to the group to not speed off in the parking lot. I wish my cellphone had not been dead, I would have reported them and hopefully a policeman/woman would have shown up. I would have pulled off in another part of the parking lot and watched the whole thing. Oh well, guess that's what I get for not checking my battery life.

End of that rant!

Got my 'so tacky they're cut flamingo slippers on' ... they are so warm. I took them off for just a minute earlier today and Cracker had her way with one of them. I think she was getting back at me for leaving her grated up so that DDnL#1 and I could go to Carrollton to watch DOGD's boyfriend graduate from college. When I got the slipper stuffing sewed back in, realized that one of its eyes was missing. She got a spanking for that. She knows that she did something wrong. I shoved them in her face and told her 'bad dog'! These slippers are MINE! Then I let her out, and got ready to go to town; called her to come in ... no Cracker. After about 10 minutes of going out and calling for her, I got in the car and went down to the neighbor's who have a small dog inside an invisible fence. Sure enough, she was there. When I called her ... she came running across the yard in a flash towards the house, so I turned around to go get her. Had the door opened and told her to get in, she crossed the road about 3x in front of me. I leaned over and opened the passenger door and she got in. Popped her on the fanny and brought her back to the house, and crated her. Went to town, and came home. "Bad Dog" stayed in crate a little longer. When I let her out told her to stay close. Two minutes later I called and she came home; 10 minutes later, called and she came home.

Then I had to wash her. She does NOT like being washed very much. I knelt in the bathtub to wash her. When it is warm, she will be still for DH to wash her outside; but, it is a royal fight to wash her inside. About the only thing she likes about being washed is being dried with the hair dryer.

End of 2nd rant!

Had to cancel lunch plans for Tuesday so DOGD could use my car to go have her hair done in the afternoon. She'll need the car to go pick up the 2 little girls after school, too. I'd rather her drive my car than DDnL#1 who goes down the dirt road going 45+mph. She's already torn up the front end of her car. Does it to every car my son had bought for her since living out here. Road is rough because of the gas line going in behind our house on an existing gas line easement. They've messed up this year's hunting season, so I really hope DH and DOS shoot one this week.

Well, I'm about as ready as I will ever get for Christmas. Found my 3 missing pieces of my Mama and Daddy's manger scene. It was packed with another one.

Watching "Red Dawn" - been a while since I have seen it. Funny how they came up with the different fatigues and stuff ... white for being in the snow. I know, I know ... it's a movie, they can do anything in a movie.

Well, all snug and warm. It was relatively pleasant today, compared to yesterday when it was windy and cold. Of course, I got separated from my crew as we left; so I went to the car. Figured 'maybe' they would realize that is where I went. After a while, I started back as the crowd thinned out. Was found and took some pictures. Will have to get DDnL#1 to send me some that she took.

Well, hope all y'all have all your Christmas and Hannakuh plans worked out. Only going to town on Tuesday for my weigh-in. I hope that I have lost some more. Getting to my goal seems to get harder and harder the closer I get to it.

Lenora
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Pip and Kirby Congratulations and way to go. Sooooo proud. A year ago, who would have thought?
    CJ
  • suebdew
    I have some really nice pictures I would love to share but don't have a clue. I have an iPhone and iPad but don't see a file that someone mentioned. If anyone had the time could you go a step by step how to add photos.SueBDrw
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Sue - just above where you type in your message there is what looks like a piece of paper with the corner folded. click on that and then select choose files. it will take you to where your photos are stored. Find the photo you want to share then double click on it. It will send it to where you want it posted.
  • suebdew
    Omg, it was the camera!!
  • suebdew
    Think you have created a monster!! How fun.
    SueBDew
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,601 Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Katla, for your well wishes. I am up at 3.30 am with the family trauma on the brain. I'm sure DH is also not sleeping. There is nothing we can do at this stage - we are just waiting to hear the outcome.

I swore I would never buy another cookbook as I have far too many, but I was seduced by a tv programme yesterday into buying an Iranian one. I'm really enjoying it. I got it on my Kindle so I'm not clogging up shelf space. It's one of those you can read, rather than just a set of recipes and the food is very different. My first effort will be the pistachio soup. :D Not very slimming, but very healthy.
    I can't read the book while I'm hungry!!!

Back to bed in a minute.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - I've just bought a heart rate monitor. Just a basic one with no fancy Bluetooth etc. I just want to know my rates for exercising without having to hold on to the handles of my machines. It has a chest strap and a watch. :D I have been stepping up my heart rate since reading YOUNGER NEXT YEAR.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    o:)<3B)