The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• HeyEmilio
    HeyEmilio Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and trying to cut weight while maintaining muscle mass. Not sure when to stop. I'm 5 foot 8 inches. Down 10+ lbs.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Looking forward to a good long weekend (after Friday Jr. of course :) ). Planning to start an exercise plan once I make some space in the house tonight and tomorrow. What do you all do to make exercise fun?

Hi all! Exercise has been a long journey for me. On top of the other stuff that I do (competitive indoor rowing, Air Bike, lifting, etc.), my wife and I have recently taken up Pickleball. If you don't know what that is, it's like Tennis and Ping Pong had a baby! It's played with rackets that look more like Ping Pong Paddles and a court that's like a mini tennis court. You play with Wiffleballs (like when we were kids). Don't think it's only for older folks. It's a lot more fast paced than I anticipated reaction wise. You don't run all over the place chasing balls (typically) but it's more about reaction time and strategy.

We are moving next year to an Active Adult community and wanted to get a jump on learning Pickleball in advance (something we were both interested in), so we joined a local club and it's been a blast. Been playing two/three times a week. My wife has had to scale back her other exercise. We've both been a bit sore adjusting to it, but it's fun. People have been very nice teaching us/mentoring us in the game.

This might not sound like fun, but I also do indoor rowing on a Concept2. I'm in the process of creating a home "rowing gym" where I can row virtually against anyone in the world using RowPro (a computer software that integrates with the C2). You basically can (in real time) "row" against anyone in the world that wants to virtually "race" you.

Once we join the Adult community, we'll likely also golf in a golf league and perhaps do some other things (we're huge dog people too, so something like hiking in the moutains with our dogs and other dog lovers).
  • lin727_jaq
    lin727_jaq Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, how do you I stay motivated AND reduce sugar cravings? HELP☹️😥
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Looking forward to a good long weekend (after Friday Jr. of course :) ). Planning to start an exercise plan once I make some space in the house tonight and tomorrow. What do you all do to make exercise fun?

Hi all! Exercise has been a long journey for me. On top of the other stuff that I do (competitive indoor rowing, Air Bike, lifting, etc.), my wife and I have recently taken up Pickleball. If you don't know what that is, it's like Tennis and Ping Pong had a baby! It's played with rackets that look more like Ping Pong Paddles and a court that's like a mini tennis court. You play with Wiffleballs (like when we were kids). Don't think it's only for older folks. It's a lot more fast paced than I anticipated reaction wise. You don't run all over the place chasing balls (typically) but it's more about reaction time and strategy.

We are moving next year to an Active Adult community and wanted to get a jump on learning Pickleball in advance (something we were both interested in), so we joined a local club and it's been a blast. Been playing two/three times a week. My wife has had to scale back her other exercise. We've both been a bit sore adjusting to it, but it's fun. People have been very nice teaching us/mentoring us in the game.

This might not sound like fun, but I also do indoor rowing on a Concept2. I'm in the process of creating a home "rowing gym" where I can row virtually against anyone in the world using RowPro (a computer software that integrates with the C2). You basically can (in real time) "row" against anyone in the world that wants to virtually "race" you.

Once we join the Adult community, we'll likely also golf in a golf league and perhaps do some other things (we're huge dog people too, so something like hiking in the moutains with our dogs and other dog lovers).

That sounds like a lot of fun (except the golf). I love to hike but don't get to it consistently due to weather or family schedules or work. At the moment, I'm starting a body weight strength training routine to try and stave off loss of strength as I get older. Ideally, I'd be able to find a cricket league for beginners over 40 and join but I live in the US. There isn't much of a call for the sport near me.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

That sounds like a lot of fun (except the golf). I love to hike but don't get to it consistently due to weather or family schedules or work. At the moment, I'm starting a body weight strength training routine to try and stave off loss of strength as I get older. Ideally, I'd be able to find a cricket league for beginners over 40 and join but I live in the US. There isn't much of a call for the sport near me.

Too bad you don't live where I do. We have a world class cricket pitch at the club where I skate and there's another in the town where I grew up.

I'm still excited about the start of curling season and taking my new recruits out today again to practice.
  • lauralbrown79
    lauralbrown79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new here and looking forward to losing the excess weight I carry around. Turned 39 in August, I'd love be at least 50 lbs lighter by the time I turn 40.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

Too bad you don't live where I do. We have a world class cricket pitch at the club where I skate and there's another in the town where I grew up.

I'm still excited about the start of curling season and taking my new recruits out today again to practice.

I'd love that. We have one club in my state. I'll have to check it out but I don't believe they have a learner's group. Since I've never played before, I couldn't join the team. Good luck with the newbies.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    epr3996 wrote: »
    It's that time of year when even the elders like myself can walk outside and not start sweating!

Absolutely. Fall is the best time for me to be outdoors.
  • epr3996
    epr3996 Posts: 2,719 Member
    Options
    epr3996 wrote: »
    It's that time of year when even the elders like myself can walk outside and not start sweating!

Absolutely. Fall is the best time for me to be outdoors.

I walked outside and just smiled!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

Bodyweight training is underrated. Even though I row a lot (and many rowers lift very heavy), I'm not a huge powerlifter. Most of the stuff I do is body weight, dumbbells and heavy resistance bands, though I did just buy a Plyo Box for doing some leg work and pushups on. You can really work on functional fitness with just a few compound exercises -- pushups, goblet squats, bridges, planks and perhaps military presses (lighter) with resistance bands would be a great place to start.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options

Bodyweight training is underrated. Even though I row a lot (and many rowers lift very heavy), I'm not a huge powerlifter. Most of the stuff I do is body weight, dumbbells and heavy resistance bands, though I did just buy a Plyo Box for doing some leg work and pushups on. You can really work on functional fitness with just a few compound exercises -- pushups, goblet squats, bridges, planks and perhaps military presses (lighter) with resistance bands would be a great place to start.

Functional is what I'm after. I had a near fatal surgery years ago and many followup surgeries to put things right again. From that, I've lost most of my upper body strength. As I lose weight, I know I'll lose some muscle mass as well so I'm attempting to maintain what I have and build up my strength. I want to start with just my body weight first because I can do those exercises just about anywhere. I found a good beginner program from Nerd Fitness that I'm going to do. Eventually, I'll increase resistance somehow. I thought about Cross Fit but I don't like throwing up and don't feel the need to post every single meal on social media :smile: (just kidding CFers).
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this weather!!!!
  • PriseeLo
    PriseeLo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello!! Pleased to join this group!
  • novakbrennan
    novakbrennan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, just found this group, I like the idea to share our experiences, I'm nearly 12 weeks into a life changing decision to get back to fitness, 21 kilos lighter and feeling great, now to try building some more muscle and enjoy being fitter, the crossfit style of fitness interests me although I'm not 20 years old anymore lol so steady steady..

Perfect days here, 20 degrees overnight and 36 degrees during the days but the hot weather is not far away so ive got to make the most of it.

Anyway, I hope to learn some insights from the more experienced among us :smile: , Have a great day people! :smiley:
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    PriseeLo wrote: »
    Hello!! Pleased to join this group!

Welcome to the group.
  • FitnTrimSteve
    Options
    Hey, just found this group, I like the idea to share our experiences, I'm nearly 12 weeks into a life changing decision to get back to fitness, 21 kilos lighter and feeling great, now to try building some more muscle and enjoy being fitter, the crossfit style of fitness interests me although I'm not 20 years old anymore lol so steady steady..

Perfect days here, 20 degrees overnight and 36 degrees during the days but the hot weather is not far away so ive got to make the most of it.

Anyway, I hope to learn some insights from the more experienced among us :smile: , Have a great day people! :smiley:

Congrats on the success!
  • sunshineraej
    sunshineraej Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I'll be 47 next month. Been doing crossfit for a year and a half and I LOVE it! I urge you to try it out, if you haven't already.
  • Sweetc2018
    Sweetc2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, 47 here, just joined. Feel free to add me.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Good morning middle agers :)