The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• chrisw1984s
    chrisw1984s Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    34 Feel free to add me :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's some list of fruits, lucky you.. it's too hot to grow cherries here, but I love them. My dad has 4 fig trees but the birds get the lion share of those usually, those little buggers are fast 😔
    I don't know what Marion berries are, what are they similar to?

Marionberries are a type of blackberry that was originally bred in the '50s. They have big tasty fruit that comes off without the woody core that some blackberries have. They do have thorns, but they aren't so bad as some varieties.

Once the starlings find ripe figs, I don't get many more. I try to keep the tree picked. This year I need to prune it back down to 10-12 feet so more of the figs are within reach of me on a ladder. That also helps limit what the birds get. The first crop is called the Breba crop. It grows on last year's new wood. As such, I want to keep some new wood from this year to support the breba crop. The "main" crop grows on this year's new wood, but in our climate, those figs often rot on the tree. So sad.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Your tomatoes look delicious.

That's not an innuendo

Hey thanks! Take that any way you like :)

The Sungold cherry tomatoes have a lovely flavor. The Cosmonaut are good, but not super-outstanding. My neighbor gave me the start. They ripen quickly, which is good in our climate. They are tasty for sure -- I never buy grocery store tomatoes. Some heirloom varieties put most others to shame; I didn't grow any this year. I have one other tomato that came from a friend. He calls it "Wild Cherry." It has TINY fruit that are, allegedly, packed with flavor. So far I haven't seen any ripe yet.

Carport is ready for the painter except the raft trailer with raft and crap piled in it and two sea kayaks still hanging in the rafters. I want to keep those things out of the sun until the day she comes to get started.
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Your tomatoes look delicious.

That's not an innuendo

Hey thanks! Take that any way you like :)

The Sungold cherry tomatoes have a lovely flavor. The Cosmonaut are good, but not super-outstanding. My neighbor gave me the start. They ripen quickly, which is good in our climate. They are tasty for sure -- I never buy grocery store tomatoes. Some heirloom varieties put most others to shame; I didn't grow any this year. I have one other tomato that came from a friend. He calls it "Wild Cherry." It has TINY fruit that are, allegedly, packed with flavor. So far I haven't seen any ripe yet.

Carport is ready for the painter except the raft trailer with raft and crap piled in it and two sea kayaks still hanging in the rafters. I want to keep those things out of the sun until the day she comes to get started.

I wish I knew how to grow anything, but I'm lucky my succulents manage to stay alive!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I can't get enough. I also grow bonsai for some insane reason.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options

I tried bonsai once.. it lasted 2 weeks before it looked like a stick :(
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

I love bonsai. I'm all about peace and serenity. I had one once, it died.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend middle agers.
    I spent the day with my brother in law's gf at a brewery. The guys took the kids to Fanexpo and we were let loose downtown and I remembered my friends have a brewery in a fun market area so we went there and spent a fun afternoon sampling beers. It's always fun playing tourist in your own city
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I used to lose one bonsai about each year. I don't start any new ones now unless I lose one. My pots are full, and I don't really have room for more. I do have one California Laurel that isn't doing very good. It may die soon. There's a volunteer seedling in my front yard; I may dig it up and try again. I keep digging up Albizia julibrissin (mimosa; silktree) because I seem to get volunteers. I have two in bonsai pots a few years old, and a couple in tiny starter pots just because. They aren't that hardy; I don't know why I keep trying. I do like 'em.

I also have a couple Douglas-fir in a bit of a krumholz form. I have a western Hemlock that was a gift. I have a Japanese maple that looks really nice. A couple years ago a friend gave me a beat-up looking Ginkgo, and I'm having fun with that. I still have a HUGE (for bonsai) western red-cedar out front and a small one in the back. I have some hazelnuts, one of which I tied the stem in a knot. I have a chokecherry in a tray planting. I chop the hell out of it, and it just keeps growing.

djlnb30gk8s6.jpg
    cny3k556ll79.jpg
    40dh7moedqd6.jpg
    i85i8sr43qij.jpg
    3d90hbkckmr4.jpg
    jviaa3nuxtqe.jpg
    pabsorm1r6fi.jpg
    z2dexhvzx3eg.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Not the best pictures, but you get the idea.
  • Slappy74
    Slappy74 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Happy weekend middle agers.
    I spent the day with my brother in law's gf at a brewery. The guys took the kids to Fanexpo and we were let loose downtown and I remembered my friends have a brewery in a fun market area so we went there and spent a fun afternoon sampling beers. It's always fun playing tourist in your own city

Played tourist today with my daughter. We just ran around Houston and had a day. Have a good one!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Good Sunday morning you Old Darlings!
    Make today a good one cause tomorrow is Monday and back to work!
    Fack!!!!

Have a wonderful Sunday :)
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Good Sunday morning you Old Darlings!
    Make today a good one cause tomorrow is Monday and back to work!
    Fack!!!!

Have a wonderful Sunday :)

You too Jo! Whatever time it is there?

It's 10.10pm Sunday night.. and thank you 🙂
  • CitiZoo
    CitiZoo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm quickly approaching 21 for 30th time. Feel free to add me.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Good morning Middle-agers :) Hoping you're all having a great Sunday..
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

Have a great day Jo.
    ☕☀️
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Anna28518 wrote: »

Have a great day Jo.
    ☕☀️

Thank you Anna 🤗... 6.20am , I needs that coffee 😁