The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Yay it's the weekend!!! The sunshine is streaming in through the windows. My family instill asleep. I'm gonna get up and enjoy some quiet time
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    quiet time is the best!!! I wish I got more of it!! haha
  • AliNouveau
    edited November 2020
    Options
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    quiet time is the best!!! I wish I got more of it!! haha

Me too I had all of 30 minutes before I was joined by a chatty boy. But I got some ribs prepped to be smoked and a chicken brined. We're taking advantage of the beautiful weather to have friends to the backyard for a socially distanced BBQ
    One of the good things about covid is we have used our backyard patio more than we ever have
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Well, we're on the downhill run to Christmas 🎄🎅🎁 nows the time to be extra good, Santa's watching 👀😃

Really!! What is he seeing? I'm always good, but I'm not expecting anything for Christmas.

So you and your wife or family don't give gifts? 😔 awww

Yes but not "Christmas" gifts. There are 365 days in a year.
  • NorthStar77
    NorthStar77 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Congrats America!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Congrats America!

Thank goodness it's over
    It's nice to see pictures of people happy, while not everyone is, as with any election, as the neighbour to the north it's nice to see. Now it's time to heal. I wouldn't mind the border opening again I've been promised a trip to NYC
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!

I managed to avoid both anxiety eating and 'partying like it's 1999' eating this week despite the election, so feeling good about life.

Hope everyone is feeling good regardless of their political persuasion today :)
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    😢 Alex Trebek died today. I was hoping he'd beat it but knew he wouldn't because it's the cancer my dad had and it's an evil one. Heaven just got a good one.

2020 has been such a crazy year
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    I practiced some river rescue skills today. It wasn't just practice, but it wasn't a rescue.

I made a 3:1 mechanical advantage with progress capture (Z-drag) correctly the first time without using any instructions. It worked great.

I have a Princess Tree in my back yard that was a volunteer in a place I had to take out a large willow several years ago. It's kind of a neat tree, but grows really fast, is brittle, and will fall apart. I should have pruned it back or cut it down a year or two ago. It had become large enough I didn't want to just try to take it down. I have a few friends who have made "bonsai" out of them. I decided to give it a try. I got my pole saw out and took off some of the upper branches. I put an extension ladder up near a place I wanted to take off two parts of the top before dropping a big chunk. It didn't feel safe. I could only reach so high on my step ladder. I needed it to fall in a particular direction so it didn't crush a well house, take out the neighbor's power line, or break other trees. Not to mention I didn't want it to come down on top of me while I was trying to scramble down a stepladder!

So I took my handy spectra throw bag, hitched up above where I wanted to make the cut, tied it off, then got a sling and made an anchor over on a tree in the direction I wanted it to fall. I grabbed a couple carabiners and used two prussiks to set up a 3:1 mechanical advantage with progress capture. I loaded it up, and it held.

q46lznlg6vwu.jpg

u99yc2n9f7u2.jpg

I gave it a couple more tugs, and started cutting. I came back down and gave it some more tension, then went up and continued cutting. When I heard the first crack, I climbed down and gave the haul line one more good heave.

Down came the top.

u90koqedvbcw.jpg

I had do go up and make one more cut to bring the tree to the size I wanted, and now I'll try to keep it around that height.

Groovy, eh?
  • FutureFit2020
    edited November 2020
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    😢 Alex Trebek died today. I was hoping he'd beat it but knew he wouldn't because it's the cancer my dad had and it's an evil one. Heaven just got a good one.

2020 has been such a crazy year

Oh no! I am genuinely so sad to hear that. He was a huge part of my childhood (and even my children's now). I loved Alex. :(

The "funny" thing is that my husband and I are Jeopardy and SNL fans so last week he came up to me and said in a Scottish accent, "that's what your mother said Trebek" and then said "he died"

He was talking about Sean Connery, but I thought he meant Alex Trebek and started to get a bit weepy. So this is the second time in as many weeks that I've had the news that he has died!

• LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Morning middle agers!
    Can't believe it's Monday again, urgh why can't weekends be three days? All good here, hoping for a less manic time in work this week but at the moment it's full on. I work in logistics and our neighbours are really messing things up for us with Brexit, especially since we're the only country with an actual land border to the UK.
  • FutureFit2020
    Options
    You don't need to worry Luna. Brexit is magic and everything will be fine. Magically. I've been told this many many times. :D I'm a dual Eu/American passport holder so have my own brexit logistics to work out! :D
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    At least we have Biden on our side, apparently he's Irish somewhere in his roots.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Morning middle agers!
    Can't believe it's Monday again, urgh why can't weekends be three days? All good here, hoping for a less manic time in work this week but at the moment it's full on. I work in logistics and our neighbours are really messing things up for us with Brexit, especially since we're the only country with an actual land border to the UK.

It tough when you share borders....we share with the USA...it's been scary at times haha.

Good luck with your logistics. I can imagine how that would be difficult.

It's another gorgeous day here! The chimney sweep comes today, yes her have a chimney sweep. He is to come at 4...that means he could be here basically any time. One year he came the day before. It's really quite funny. Then he'll want to chat but has a thick polish accent I can never understand, often he'll have to tell me "that was a joke you should laugh"
  • NorthStar77
    NorthStar77 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone. Wishing you all a wonderful week!

You too
  • Sunflowez123
    Sunflowez123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Happy Monday Everyone!! New Week New Goals!!!!
  • cgrout78
    Options
    Morning all of you beautiful people. Hope your Monday is as productive as you want it to be!!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!!!
    What's a better way to end Monday than hubs buying a giant tv in an online auction and having some weird allergic reaction making me wheezy and itchy. Gotta love 2020 just gets weirder and werider
  • cgrout78
    Options
    Hubs came home yesterday early from work and went to get tested...so back on quarantine at least until results come back...ughhh, so frustrating