Starving 15 mins after eating an apple and a yogurt

Options

Replies

• AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm not skipping dinner I just don't always know how to calculate it especially if my partner makes me a meal or we go out
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I only went back a few days but did notice that your diet is primarily carbs (and quite a bit of that is sugar). Low in PROTEIN and low in FAT. Personally, I'd be starving as well. If it were me, I'd be eating more protein and fat. And, yes, why are you skipping dinner?

Any tips for adding more protein and fat in there ?
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Try having a package of instant oatmeal with an apple. The oatmeal is about 100 calories and more filling (to me anyway) than yogurt.

My new thing is to drink 1 cup of V8 vegetable juice. It's only 50 calories per 8 oz and takes the edge off my hunger.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm not skipping dinner I just don't always know how to calculate it especially if my partner makes me a meal or we go out

You can still add what you've eaten despite him having made it - there is a recipe builder function on MFP. Or look through the database and find something similar. I know for me my dinners can range from anywhere from 450 cals to 800.

For more protein: eggs/meat/fish/greek yogurt/nuts etc
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I only went back a few days but did notice that your diet is primarily carbs (and quite a bit of that is sugar). Low in PROTEIN and low in FAT. Personally, I'd be starving as well. If it were me, I'd be eating more protein and fat. And, yes, why are you skipping dinner?

Eat more nuts and seeds, whole fat dairy, avocados. Have an omelet for breakfast. Or REAL oats and add nuts to them. Or make savory oats with an egg on top. (skip the instant oatmeal. It's had all the good stuff removed). Have string cheese and nuts as a snack. Or peanut butter with the apple.

Bean dishes, lentils etc.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more - you don't want to be losing up to 2lb a week when you're only 5lb from goal. Half a pound a week would be better. Your hunger is not because there's anything specifically wrong with that snack, it's likely because you are not quite eating enough overall.

I also agree with others to make sure there is enough protein and fat - and also fibre - in your diet overall. But it seems to me the main problem is not enough calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Eat a bit more - you don't want to be losing up to 2lb a week when you're only 5lb from goal. Half a pound a week would be better. Your hunger is not because there's anything specifically wrong with that snack, it's likely because you are not quite eating enough overall.

I also agree with others to make sure there is enough protein and fat - and also fibre - in your diet overall. But it seems to me the main problem is not enough calories.
    Has she said how tall she is? That would help me determine if 1600-1700 calories is enough or not. Granted, with the "quick add" calories, and skipped dinner entries, it's moot.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

Has she said how tall she is? That would help me determine if 1600-1700 calories is enough or not. Granted, with the "quick add" calories, and skipped dinner entries, it's moot.

OP is 5ft 1"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

OP is 5ft 1"

Thanks for this. Then I'm not sure 1600-1700 (well counted) calories IS too low. Is it?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I only scanned the replies so...
    2 things jump out. Was this a one time occurrence? If so, forget it and move on.
    If this is a common or everyday thing, some people find that eating breakfast first thing and snacking through the morning makes them far more hungry than waiting until later in the morning or even lunch time before eating. I didn't see this suggested
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I could be off base, but those being to high carb snacks may be the issue. There's little to no fat or protein in either of those things (when compared to the amount of carbs). Again, I could be wrong, but that was my first guess.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Use plain greek yogurt. Add protein powder. I would recommend considering MFP's daily protein goal as a minimum. Eating adequate protein helps you retain muscle that you are otherwise losing while eating in a deficit. Hard boiled eggs, omelettes, salmon. And as others have already mentioned, nuts and nut butters are great for fat, as is olive oil and butter.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    I use to buy strawberry greek yogurt (chabane...spelling?) and I would stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter. It sounds gross, but it was freaking delicious. and it really added some filling power to the yogurt.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    People speaking of yogurt, Siggi's makes a great high protein yogurt. Some varieties are actually fat free so you need to add fat in some other way, but they also have some great whole-milk yogurt options.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    I use to buy strawberry greek yogurt (chabane...spelling?) and I would stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter. It sounds gross, but it was freaking delicious. and it really added some filling power to the yogurt.

Also, if you don't like peanut butter (or is doesn't fit your macros), you can stir in a serving of raw almonds. That is good too.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Or REAL oats and add nuts to them. Or make savory oats with an egg on top. (skip the instant oatmeal. It's had all the good stuff removed). .

Oatmeal eater here of all kinds of oatmeal.

I disagree that instant oatmeal has had "the good stuff removed."

I wanted to include oatmeal in my diet because it helps lower cholesterol. I researched instant oatmeal versus steel cut oats. I love the texture of steel cut oats but don't love the long cooking time. I eat plain instant oatmeal, not the kind with added sugar, and use an apple for sweetener.

Instant oatmeal has the same nutrition as other oatmeal.

Here's a CNN article that talks about the nutrition in instant oatmeal. There are many more articles online.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/06/26/oatmeal.benefits.reheating.jampolis/index.html?iref=24hours

From the article: ... instant oatmeal, which is often portrayed as nutritionally inferior, is also a whole grain. In fact, in the USDA nutrient database, instant oatmeal possesses the same nutritional profile as regular or quick-cooking oatmeal. The only difference lies in the glycemic index, which is a measurement of how quickly a food increases your blood sugar within a two-hour period. Because instant oatmeal has been processed to cook more quickly, it is also broken down and digested more quickly by your body, giving it a higher glycemic index. Eating a lower glycemic index diet may help improve your cholesterol ratios.

To lower the glycemic index of instant oatmeal, all you have to do is combine it with a little lean protein (add low-fat or fat-free milk or a half-scoop of protein powder after cooking) or healthy fat (top with a tablespoon or two of chopped nuts, which are also good for lowering cholesterol).

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

OP is 5ft 1"

Thanks for this. Then I'm not sure 1600-1700 (well counted) calories IS too low. Is it?

I'm 5'2 and 1650 is my sedentary maintenance number so ei wouldn't assume so.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to have greek yogurt as my snack because of everybody claiming protein keeps you fuller for longer. But i guess everyone is different because I've since realized that protein doesn't do much for me but high fat foods keep me full for a long time.

So I swapped out the greek yogurt for a 10% plain yogurt that tastes SO much better and is much more filling.
    Maybe try playing around with protein/fat/fibre and see what combination works best will keeping you full.