Starving 15 mins after eating an apple and a yogurt

Options

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    drink water. sometimes you are thirsty. Also, for me its a mental mind game.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Was the yogurt plain or flavored? Flavored yogurt has quite a bit of sugar. I find that sugary snacks make me crave more sugar and therefore fool me into thinking I'm hungry. I switched to plain yogurt with some granola. If I don't have any granola around, I mix in a bit of honey.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes the yogurt was flavoured, I also do get a lot of sweet cravings
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd try increasing calories too, but that (that's its flavored yogurt) could be related to the feeling of hunger afterwards. An apple plus flavored yogurt (especially if it's lower protein (not greek) yogurt and also low fat) is quite high carb and not a ton of fiber for the overall sugar, so for anyone prone to it could lead to a quick hit of energy and then a crash -- which you may perceive as hunger.

I'd try a non sweet snack (or sweetness from fruit) -- smaller amount of plain greek yogurt with some fat content with berries in it to sweeten or used as a dip for the apple or maybe something like cottage cheese instead of the yogurt or a hard boiled egg and the apple.

If you want the sweet I'd combine it with protein and fat.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of food for breakfast no wonder you are hungry. I used to eat like that then snack at 10:00 am every day. I would eat more high density low fat calories. I eat hash browns (homemade) from sweet potatoes or yukon golds cooked in water with spinach, holds me over until noon when I get legitimately hungry. I sit at a desk mostly just to give you an idea and being older, I don't need that many calories.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Depending on which brand of yogurt, I'd probably be starving too. Many are high in sugar/carbs but low in fat/protein. I need protein and fat to feel satiated, anything else just makes me hungrier. Try greek yogurt or lower fat cheese with an apple and see if it works better for you.
  • aekihm1979
    aekihm1979 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Up your protein and FAT. Get away from the carbs. Look into the LCHF lifestyle is you want to drop the weight. You're intake is primarily carbs. Lessen the carbs and up your protein and fat and you'll drop that 5 pounds no problem. Switch to a plain whole fat yogurt like Stonyfield plain greek whole milk, add some chia seeds to it, or have some almonds or walnuts with it. Add some avocado to your salads or maybe sprinkle some ground flax on your salads. It will amp up your fiber without the excess carbs that oatmeal provides.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    aekihm1979 wrote: »
    Up your protein and FAT. Get away from the carbs. Look into the LCHF lifestyle is you want to drop the weight. You're intake is primarily carbs. Lessen the carbs and up your protein and fat and you'll drop that 5 pounds no problem. Switch to a plain whole fat yogurt like Stonyfield plain greek whole milk, add some chia seeds to it, or have some almonds or walnuts with it. Add some avocado to your salads or maybe sprinkle some ground flax on your salads. It will amp up your fiber without the excess carbs that oatmeal provides.

Lots of people have success on a LCHF diet and that's cool. But it isn't necessary to lose weight, people can lose weight on a diet that includes moderate or even high carbohydrate intake. This will only result in losing the last five pounds if it creates a calorie deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    If I have a snack... I'm starving..
    If I eat 2 - 3 times a day, big meals, around 500-700 calories each.. I'm full and never hungry..

I am like this too -- it's definitely something for OP to consider if she hasn't.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I had an apple and a yogurt for a morning snack at work about 15 mins later I'm feeling literally starving?

I haven't read the whole thread yet, sorry, but I wanted to ask if you have the same issue when you eat a different snack at this time of day? Apples, for some reason, always make me feel really hungry within 20 minutes of eating them. I have no idea why, but it's always been this way so I avoid them as a snack. How about trying something else with your yogurt instead of the apple, and see how that makes you feel?
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    "starving"

I don't think that word means what some of you people think it means.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If I eat 2 - 3 times a day, big meals, around 500-700 calories each.. I'm full and never hungry..

I am like this too -- it's definitely something for OP to consider if she hasn't.

I always find I'm much hungrier after a snack
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Maybe you're like me and for some crazy reason your body can't handle small meals and keeps giving you hunger signals if you try that.
    I tried all summer and I couldn't do it.. Wasn't until I met a trainer 5 weeks ago who explained to me that we're all different and what happens to work for someone else may won't work for me.

I tried nibbling from fruit and vegetables but it made me hungrier
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I always find I'm much hungrier after a snack

I can't snack on fruit at all -- it always makes me hungry. I can include it as part of a larger meal, but I've never had success snacking on it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're like me and for some crazy reason your body can't handle small meals and keeps giving you hunger signals if you try that.
    I tried all summer and I couldn't do it.. Wasn't until I met a trainer 5 weeks ago who explained to me that we're all different and what happens to work for someone else may won't work for me.

I tried nibbling from fruit and vegetables but it made me hungrier

That's an example of another snack with no or negligible fat and protein.

Have some peanut butter and/or cheese, or a hard boiled egg with that.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Seriously, start your next meal with a good portion of protein. I would do 25g of it or more. Then add vegetables and fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I am very active in my job I lift boxes and heavy files, apples mostly leave me hungry for some reason, I may have to introduce some fats and protein is it better to go for a full fat yogurt?

I never eat whole apples. I have a few ounces of apple plus an ounce or so of cheese and a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. (One tablespoon of PB has 100 calories so be warned!)
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    How much fat should I be having in a meal with 25g protein
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    How much fat should I be having in a meal with 25g protein

I would do 15-20g of fat and minimum 30g protein. But that's what works for me.

Look at the bottom of your food diary. See your daily goals for calories, carbs, fats, protein? Divide each of those daily goals by 3 for a rough (very rough) estimate for dividing your 3 meals up (assuming you will eat 3 meals). Now you have basic goals for each meal. Use those meal goals as a starting point and see how you feel and how you do weight-wise. You can fill in any gaps with your snacks.

Edit to add: Daily goals are at the bottom of the diary if you are on full website version of MFP. Not sure where they are if you are on the app, maybe somebody else can chime in with that.