Starving 15 mins after eating an apple and a yogurt

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It happens. Sometimes you are just hungry for no reason. Or it could be that apple and yogurt don't do much for your hunger. Have you had this exact snack before and felt hungry/not hungry? Have you been exceptionally active yesterday, or had lower than usual calories? Are you stressed out? Are you anywhere near ovulation? Have you slept well? There is a tall list for why a food that used to blunt your hunger in the past doesn't do it sometimes. If you are sure it's not the apple and yogurt just have higher calories for today, or white knuckle it for this one day. If you suspect apples and yogurt make you hungry, experiment with other foods.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am very active in my job I lift boxes and heavy files, apples mostly leave me hungry for some reason, I may have to introduce some fats and protein is it better to go for a full fat yogurt?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I am very active in my job I lift boxes and heavy files, apples mostly leave me hungry for some reason, I may have to introduce some fats and protein is it better to go for a full fat yogurt?

Yes, unless you are going to have something like nuts to go along with it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    I only went back a few days but did notice that your diet is primarily carbs (and quite a bit of that is sugar). Low in PROTEIN and low in FAT. Personally, I'd be starving as well. If it were me, I'd be eating more protein and fat. And, yes, why are you skipping dinner?

Any tips for adding more protein and fat in there ?

Or REAL oats and add nuts to them. Or make savory oats with an egg on top. (skip the instant oatmeal. It's had all the good stuff removed). .

Oatmeal eater here of all kinds of oatmeal.

I disagree that instant oatmeal has had "the good stuff removed."

I wanted to include oatmeal in my diet because it helps lower cholesterol. I researched instant oatmeal versus steel cut oats. I love the texture of steel cut oats but don't love the long cooking time. I eat plain instant oatmeal, not the kind with added sugar, and use an apple for sweetener.

Instant oatmeal has the same nutrition as other oatmeal.

Here's a CNN article that talks about the nutrition in instant oatmeal. There are many more articles online.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/06/26/oatmeal.benefits.reheating.jampolis/index.html?iref=24hours

From the article: ... instant oatmeal, which is often portrayed as nutritionally inferior, is also a whole grain. In fact, in the USDA nutrient database, instant oatmeal possesses the same nutritional profile as regular or quick-cooking oatmeal. The only difference lies in the glycemic index, which is a measurement of how quickly a food increases your blood sugar within a two-hour period. Because instant oatmeal has been processed to cook more quickly, it is also broken down and digested more quickly by your body, giving it a higher glycemic index. Eating a lower glycemic index diet may help improve your cholesterol ratios.

To lower the glycemic index of instant oatmeal, all you have to do is combine it with a little lean protein (add low-fat or fat-free milk or a half-scoop of protein powder after cooking) or healthy fat (top with a tablespoon or two of chopped nuts, which are also good for lowering cholesterol).
    The blood sugar part is what I was referring to. Instant oatmeal isn't as "filling". But yes, adding protein or fat to instant oatmeal does help.
    And, yes, if they are "flavored" packets, then there's the added sugars in most of them. For me, higher glycemic load for quick oats PLUS sugar, doesn't make them satiating.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more - you don't want to be losing up to 2lb a week when you're only 5lb from goal. Half a pound a week would be better. Your hunger is not because there's anything specifically wrong with that snack, it's likely because you are not quite eating enough overall.

I also agree with others to make sure there is enough protein and fat - and also fibre - in your diet overall. But it seems to me the main problem is not enough calories.
    Has she said how tall she is? That would help me determine if 1600-1700 calories is enough or not. Granted, with the "quick add" calories, and skipped dinner entries, it's moot.

If she's losing 1-2lb a week, with only 5lb left to goal, she's not eating enough. The question of how much she is eating, and how much she should be eating, nobody can answer as OP is not logging consistently. But that she should aim to slow her loss by eating more is the one thing that is certain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I only went back a few days but did notice that your diet is primarily carbs (and quite a bit of that is sugar). Low in PROTEIN and low in FAT. Personally, I'd be starving as well. If it were me, I'd be eating more protein and fat. And, yes, why are you skipping dinner?

Any tips for adding more protein and fat in there ?

I see you're not a vegetarian, so eat more meat. Also eggs. Eggs are a great base for a filling breakfast and hardboiled eggs are a nice portable snack.
    I'm not skipping dinner I just don't always know how to calculate it especially if my partner makes me a meal or we go out

There are several ways to do this - maybe start a new thread asking this - but the important thing is you're not getting good information if you just leave it blank.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Eat a bit more - you don't want to be losing up to 2lb a week when you're only 5lb from goal. Half a pound a week would be better. Your hunger is not because there's anything specifically wrong with that snack, it's likely because you are not quite eating enough overall.

I also agree with others to make sure there is enough protein and fat - and also fibre - in your diet overall. But it seems to me the main problem is not enough calories.
    Has she said how tall she is? That would help me determine if 1600-1700 calories is enough or not. Granted, with the "quick add" calories, and skipped dinner entries, it's moot.

If she's losing 1-2lb a week, with only 5lb left to goal, she's not eating enough. The question of how much she is eating, and how much she should be eating, nobody can answer as OP is not logging consistently. But that she should aim to slow her loss by eating more is the one thing that is certain.

Having read the whole thread again, yep, I agree. By now she should be at .5Lbs a week. If that.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Should I reduce the carbs a bit too
  • casey36585
    casey36585 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Apples are a diuretic food (while the sugar makes them a great energy booster, they won't satisfy hunger because of the low calories they provide in relation to the amount used to actually digest them).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Should I reduce the carbs a bit too

If you're keeping calories consistent and increasing fat (and protein) then, mathematically speaking, carbs will naturally go down a bit. But, as we're now saying you should be eating MORE....

Tell MFP you want to lose .5 (1/2, one HALF a pound) a week now. Eat the calories it says to eat. Set your macros at 40/30/30 and think of protein as a minimum and things should naturally work out.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    OK so looking at an individual meal how would u work that out the 40 30 30
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    From a (really) quick look at your diary, I'd say it's less about reducing carbs as increasing protein and (maybe) fat. If calories are kept the same, that would mean reducing carbs, but your carbs might not be that high -- hard to tell since you aren't logging everything and you are planning to increase calories some.

For me, protein is filling, fat is not particularly (but people differ), and some carbs are, some aren't -- usually carbs with more fiber or from whole foods are more filling for me, anything sugary or with flour really isn't (but bread or pasta can be if eaten with protein and fiber, like pasta with lean meat and vegetables or a turkey sandwich with vegetables on the side).
  • casey36585
    casey36585 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are not literally starving after eating as that is an oxymoron.

Starving: suffering from hunger.
    You can eat and still have a strong, serious hunger if it's not substantial.
    Don't be ignorant.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

some examples:
    Breakfast: eggs with vegetables and maybe cheese
    snack: peanut butter and apple, or string cheese...
    lunch: protein and veg. A salad with chicken or salmon, or a bowl of legumes or lentils and a small salad....
    snack: some berries and some nuts
    dinner: protein and veg.... some sort of good protein source, with some nice high fiber vegetables (or again, legumes etc.)
    dessert: full fat yogurt with some berries or something...
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Add a protein bar to your snack maybe- those always keep me full for a while
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2016
    Options
    casey36585 wrote: »
    Apples are a diuretic food (while the sugar makes them a great energy booster, they won't satisfy hunger because of the low calories they provide in relation to the amount used to actually digest them).

I find apples quite filling. (And they aren't particularly low calorie either.) Hadn't noticed them promoting urination, but eh.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Apples used to leave me hungry, too. Then I started doing two things: 1) check out different varieties, start purchasing the ones I actually loved. Hate squishy apples :angry: 2) When I'm on the go, I take the apple with a full can of diet dew. Used to maybe just do a couple sips and forget it for a while, but now I make it a point to consume the whole can of liquid. For me, this helps me feel fuller and stave off hunger longer.

In your case though, since you're losing so much, you probably should eat more, just like you're investigating.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP would benefit from playing with the diary for a couple of hours here and there, and pre-plan meals.

I found, that for me, hunger was not a good indicator of healthy progress, and that slowing weight loss through upping my calories consumed did not have a negative impact on my overall gains.

OP - I would also say don't be afraid to eat foods you normally wouldn't associate with a "diet". I came into this with a lot of preconceived notions about what I had to stay away from and what I had to confine myself to. The first notion that had to go was this I was on a diet. I am not. I'm learning to eat normally. Healthy amounts with a healthy frequency.

"IF" you put a pound or two back on, check your logging accuracy, change what needs to change and keep going.

Hope this helps some.
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2016
    Options

Doesn't have to be 40-30-30 at every meal, but I think it's helpful to think of meals as all containing a significant source of protein, as well as fat and carbs. Sabine's examples are good, but if you know what foods have fats, protein, and carbs, it's easy. (I often get fat from something like a salad with a dressing with a little olive oil or by adding olives or cheese or nuts to the salad--it doesn't have to be a separate food. I'd get protein there by adding some protein to the salad too, like chicken or eggs or steak or tofu or falafel, so on.)
  • Meticulous_Nails
    Meticulous_Nails Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I see there are no dinner entries ... I cant tell how you are spacing out your snacks. I have to eat every 2 to three hours in order to not be hungry throughout the day and I try to stay below 300 per meal ..Any extra Calories I work off on the treadmill or weight lifting and usually I do not need to work off anymore then 200 to 300 calories when i do go over. I try to stay away from Carbs and aim for protein/ fiber/ fat rich foods that are natural and not processed.. I remain substained throughout the day and the carbs i do receive are mainly complex as well as the sugar I receive is natural sugars. You can eat 1 cup of Sweet Potato and it will substain you longer than 1 cup of
    whole grain cereal with Almond Milk and it will be less calories and Carbs.