Live together before getting married?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm totally old-school. Any potential benefit from living together beforehand can be just as easily achieved with proper communication and respect before the marriage. JMO.

Can you elaborate on this idea?

I think a lot of what matters between people is the sum total of small interactions. The stuff that's difficult to put into words. The positivity or negativity people show each other through body language, facial expression, etc.

Very often, people behave differently when they're alone than they do when they're not, for many reasons. I knew two people who were tidy and cleanly, but when they live together each of them thought the other wasn't doing their fair share, and then they both refused to do house work. They lived in a pig stie briefly and then split up.

A lot of the time, in hindsight it feels like something should have been obvious, but, before it happens, no one thinks to ask.

This is exactly what I mean by "communication", you pretty much just elaborated for me, lol. There is a list of questions, something like "106 Questions to Ask Before Marriage" or something. I'm sure it's Googleable. I'll see if I can find it.

My FiL sent it to me and my then-fiance, in hopes one or more of the questions would trip us up and we'd break up, because he hated me. :D But all it did was cement that my fiance and I agreed on everything and were perfect for each other. Suck it! Hahaha! 6 years married. Literally never fight. ;)

ETA: by "fight" I mean large disagreements on any sort of substantial topic. We snipe at each other and might slam a door here and there, but that's always due to one or both of us being tired or stressed by something non-related. Or just hungry. "Hangry".
    In the Catholic religion, it's usually required to go to a retreat for a weekend and lots of these questions are discussed amongst couples getting ready to marry. Not to mention you have to meet with your priest for like 6 months (once a week usually) and discuss with them and your fiance about what marriage is, commitment, children, religion, etc.
    And guess what? The divorce rate is still about 50%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nope. I'm totally old-school. Any potential benefit from living together beforehand can be just as easily achieved with proper communication and respect before the marriage. JMO.

I think a lot of what matters between people is the sum total of small interactions. The stuff that's difficult to put into words. The positivity or negativity people show each other through body language, facial expression, etc.

Very often, people behave differently when they're alone than they do when they're not, for many reasons. I knew two people who were tidy and cleanly, but when they live together each of them thought the other wasn't doing their fair share, and then they both refused to do house work. They lived in a pig stie briefly and then split up.

A lot of the time, in hindsight it feels like something should have been obvious, but, before it happens, no one thinks to ask.

Now imagine if they had gotten married and committed to staying together.

They would have gotten mad and figured out a solution, some equitable division of labor they could both live with.
    That's not always the case. Lots of people before marriage will "commit" to that person. The intention is totally there. But sometimes getting mad and always feeling that way in a marriage dissolves feelings regardless of how much 2 people try. And many times it's just small things and nothing major that causes this.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can't help but wonder what prompted you to begin this interesting discussion in the first place. It seems like you already have your mind made up.

And I see that most of the people on this thread support the idea of cohabitating first - so much so, that I doubt anyone with a contrary view would be prepared to say they're in the all-or-nothing camp.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

They would have gotten mad and figured out a solution, some equitable division of labor they could both live with.

Maybe. Maybe they would have got mad and broke their commitment. Isn't that what happens in the real world, most marriages end in divorce?

It's true that a large number of marriages end in divorce. But divorces rates started to rise at around the same time cohabitation started to become socially acceptable, and the status quo.

Conspiracy-Theory-Coincidence-32.gif

Or at least, "Maybe not", lol.

Just an idea to chew on. It's an interesting parallel, if nothing else.
    Or how about divorce rates rised along with women becoming more prominent in the work force and independent?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

That's not always the case. Lots of people before marriage will "commit" to that person. The intention is totally there. But sometimes getting mad and always feeling that way in a marriage dissolves feelings regardless of how much 2 people try. And many times it's just small things and nothing major that causes this.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can't help but wonder what prompted you to begin this interesting discussion in the first place. It seems like you already have your mind made up.

And I see that most of the people on this thread support the idea of cohabitating first - so much so, that I doubt anyone with a contrary view would be prepared to say they're in the all-or-nothing camp.

Seeing other people's perspectives and learning their reasoning behind those perspectives is always interesting, and fun to discuss.

Also, I think people have fallen into the all-or-nothing camp of saying they would never cohabitate before marriage with no negative consequences besides more discussion on differing points of views.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Plenty of people have said that they are not in favour of living together before marriage...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I disagree with it and not for religious reasons. I don't really understand why people would entangle their lives, housing, money, possibly children, with a person that they are not prepared to make a commitment to.
    Well what would be the difference if in a year they couldn't stand each other? And then divorce?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    madguru7 wrote: »
    The problem is with the question. Why is anyone getting married in the first place? It's a prison.

:D:D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • fastingrabbit
    edited December 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Plenty of people have said that they are not in favour of living together before marriage...

There have been a handful, but definitely the minority.

What I mean, in particular, is that most people, upon reading this thread, who hold a no-cohabitating preference would see OP's stated position (and the most-commonly expressed view), and would probably want to keep their unpopular views to themselves.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What I mean, in particular, is that most people, upon reading this thread, who hold a no-cohabitating preference would see OP's stated position (and the most-commonly expressed view), and would probably want to keep their unpopular views to themselves.

Really? I'm finding it all quite civil.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    For!!!
    I actually suggested this with all of my children! Better to know what you're getting into and be 100% sure before you commit to Marriage, which Should be "Until Death Do You Part :)
  • fastingrabbit
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I didn't say that it wasn't.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh I'm not saying that it can't work the other way. My parents and many of my relatives have done it the other way and are still together. But then again, that was the norm for them when they got married.
    It wouldn't have worked for me if I married the girlfriend I lived with (3 years). There were deal breakers for both of us and what attracted us to each other in the first place was being kinda of opposite. The more we were together, our beliefs tended to clash a lot which instead of fighting about it, we gave each other the silent treatment. You can only go through that so many times. If we would have been married before living together, we would have been divorced in 3 years.
    We mutually believed that it wouldn't work and that if we would have children, there would be conflict of what to teach them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • fastingrabbit
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh I'm not saying that it can't work the other way. My parents and many of my relatives have done it the other way and are still together. But then again, that was the norm for them when they got married.
    It wouldn't have worked for me if I married the girlfriend I lived with (3 years). There were deal breakers for both of us and what attracted us to each other in the first place was being kinda of opposite. The more we were together, our beliefs tended to clash a lot which instead of fighting about it, we gave each other the silent treatment. You can only go through that so many times. If we would have been married before living together, we would have been divorced in 3 years.
    We mutually believed that it wouldn't work and that if we would have children, there would be conflict of what to teach them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's interesting -- thanks for fleshing out your position, and for sharing the background story too.
  • fastingrabbit
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It is civil, I agree. But I think what @fastingrabbit was saying is that the traditionalist voices are almost always in the minority at MFP, and usually met with some considerable pushback from the liberal majority. And @ninerbuff, being a longtime poster and member of MFP, is well aware of this cultural split at MFP. Consequently he must have known that the support for co-habitation before (or instead of) formal marriage would be what's voiced amongst the most prolific MFP posters on this thread.

I'm new, so I don't know enough yet to say that the traditionalist voices are almost always in the minority at MFP. However, give me a few months, and I may say just that! :smile:
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you feel like it's the right call, do it. If you feel like it's not, don't.

Personally, my boyfriend and I lived apart for the first two years of dating. The next year after that we essentially lived together, but I still had my own apartment (which we honestly mainly used as a place to party and crash after going out -- this was in college and my apartment was walking distance to the bars, his wasn't). We've been really living together for about a year and a half now, and it works well for us.

I tend to be a very "live and let live" kind of person -- I think it's a good approach to most of life.
  • fastingrabbit
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It is civil, I agree. But I think what @fastingrabbit was saying is that the traditionalist voices are almost always in the minority at MFP, and usually met with some considerable pushback from the liberal majority. And @ninerbuff, being a longtime poster and member of MFP, is well aware of this cultural split at MFP. Consequently he must have known that the support for co-habitation before (or instead of) formal marriage would be what's voiced amongst the most prolific MFP posters on this thread.
    Or I was interested in ACTUALLY what others think. I'm sure if there more people above 50 years old responding, the split would be pretty even.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, and speaking of what 'our elders' would think . . . Chesterton's quote would apply -- something to the effect that tradition is like a big democracy, where even those who have died get a vote about how to do things. He was a big fan of doing things traditionally (and monogamy) (and Catholicism) (and beer).
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd marry someone I hadn't lived with. Then again I never thought I'd marry someone eight months after meeting him. But those things happened. And I'm happy. We're happy. To each his own.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to live together first, although people can surprise you no matter how well you think you know them. I lived with both my husbands before marriage, and divorced both, who turned out to be not such fabulous people.

In my experience buying a house together is a much bigger practical commitment than marriage (not spiritual, of course). Added at least two hellish years to my first marriage.