Live together before getting married?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
My personal opinion:

YES. So glad I did because with 2 females I lived with before marriage, one of them had a habit that was a deal breaker. The other is now my wife.

So yes or no?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Traditionalists in my family. Big no-no.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think so
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lived with mine 2 1/2 years, got married and still married at 18 years later.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Of course people should live together before they commit to living together for the rest of their lives.

But then I'm usually a "more info makes for better decisions" kind of guy.
    Lots of "old school" traditionalists think it's a bad idea.
    I figure in another 50 years, it will be the norm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    YES DO
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I say yes.

That being said, I lived with my husband for 2 years prior to getting married and we divorced after 13 years of marriage.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It kind of messes with my head that there's still a strong "no" contingent on this one. I guess living in a very secular country and not having any particularly religious friends or associates, the idea that you wouldn't live with someone before marriage is quite foreign to me.

It used to be a crime, called cohabitation. The law was used to prosecute Mormons, who disagreed with the government about having multiple wives and so practiced "celestial marriage" outside the law. Having a ceremony wasn't illegal but living in a sinful arrangement was.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    No.

I lived with my husband before we even considered marriage and got daily "reminders" from a close relative that I knew better and was living in sin.

My values have changed since I was but a young lass - I have become more personally conservative. I also realize that many have not chosen these values, and it's a free country, so I don't judge.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I live with my significant other but I'm not sold on the idea of marriage in general.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    They say couples that cohabitate are more likely to get dovorced, but people who are against cohabitation are probably against divorce too. However, there is the problem that cohabitation is not something people think about too hard, but that sort of pushes people towards marriage as an inevitable next step when they should probably break up instead.

Agree!

I started living with my ex-husband after like a month of dating. Moving in too soon may have put us on the fast track to marriage.

My current BF and I lived separate for over a year before we decided to move in together. We've been living together for 2.5 years now. Best not to rush.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think it is valuable before getting married to live together. It isn't the only way but really living with someone and managing a household is a good indicator of your life together. So my answer is yes.
    My dh and I lived together before marriage for about 8 months and have been married 17 years. Pretty sure we would be married the same if we hadn't lived together first but it made it easier I think.