10,000 Steps really??????

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The fact that there are people (without physical disabilities) who see 10,000 steps/day as an enormous unachievable goal is why we need the 10,000 step/day goal.

Yes, the exact number is arbitrary. Yes, there are lots of non-step-based physical activities that let you validly ignore any step-based goal.

But the fact that our society has become so sedentary that walking for the equivalent of an hour and a half every day is seen as impossible disturbs me.

I agree with you, but I just want to be clear that I don't think this applies to everyone who has said they don't usually get 10K steps, including the OP.

The OP's question wasn't "I can't get 10K steps, what should I do?" It was "I generally prefer to use my exercise time on things besides walking, like running or elliptical or spinning, and this often leaves me without 10K steps, is it really important that I hit that step number, as I'm feeling stressed/guilty about not doing so" and she also added that she wants to work up to maybe running an hour a day, which WOULD give her 10K steps. (This is of course a paraphrase, but it's what I got out of the question.)

IMO, the response is that it really doesn't matter if you get in the steps or not if you are getting in exercise time that replaces step-based exercise. 10K is really a minimum for people who otherwise are not active (and it's kind of arbitrary, as we all agree). As I noted, I'm most likely not to hit 10K if I bike to work and back -- since I get a number of steps just commuting -- and that's so even if I do an extra 30 miles on my way home. I am likely then not to go out and walk more since I see no point and it will be 9 or so and I want to eat dinner, but there's obviously no reason I couldn't physically or -- my point -- that it would be especially beneficial to do so because of a perceived need to hit my daily 10K. That to me would be an unhelpful level of stress and worry about something unimportant.

So that's my answer to OP.

A few people since then seemed to suggest that just doing that much activity (without replacing it with other) was seen as a lot, and in those cases (assuming no physical challenge), I happen to agree that that says something about how sedentary our lives can be. I realized early on after starting tracking that I'm lucky because living in a city I almost always get a minimum of 10K just walking to the L and back, walking for various errands, walking around the city at lunch, stuff like that, with little additional effort, but of course many work at home or drive everywhere, so it can probably be easy to fall into very sedentary habits, and in those cases I think things like 10K are important, although -- again -- if elliptical or biking or swimming is preferred as the main activity I don't think 10K is a big deal.
  • catruledquilter
    catruledquilter Posts: 48 Member
    Options

My question is... Is 10,000 steps really the end all of how fit you are? When I worked at the hospital I did that and more. Now, I find it really hard to rack up the steps. My activity tracker goes off every 15 minutes and I am thinking, I am SMACK in the middle of a design UGH! I feel like in between sitting at the computer for work, then packing orders, house work, laundry, shopping, picking up kids I am constantly going from the moment I open my eyes until I collapse in the bed late night. My overall goal is to lose the excess weight and be fit. I want to be able to go on runs etc. Can an hour a day of working out get me there? :/

With your daily routine, you are getting in regular activity. The 10K is an arbitrary number. I have a fitbit one. I had 5K as a daily goal for quite a while and have now increased it to 7K. I will look at the 7 day average and not worry about the day-to-day since my activity level varies depending on my schedule. I use the tracker to get an idea of how active I am from day to day. I clean a few houses and my veterinarian's office...I am more active on those days compared to the days I'm home.

I will be changing gyms the first of the year. I quit going to my current one...it isn't a good fit for me so I won't renew my membership. The new one doesn't require contracts to get a lower rate. The new one is bigger...has more workout options...and is less expensive since they are part of a franchise. Now that I qualify for Silver Sneakers, my cost will be my time and the gas to get there and home. The available hours are also more convenient...especially on the weekends.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The fact that there are people (without physical disabilities) who see 10,000 steps/day as an enormous unachievable goal is why we need the 10,000 step/day goal.

Yes, the exact number is arbitrary. Yes, there are lots of non-step-based physical activities that let you validly ignore any step-based goal.

But the fact that our society has become so sedentary that walking for the equivalent of an hour and a half every day is seen as impossible disturbs me.

I agree, if we're talking about truly sedentary individuals who are otherwise not really doing anything...but a lot of people (including myself) who've mentioned not getting 10K steps (as in the physical walking steps) and not being particularly worried about it are far from sedentary...it just so happens that my exercise isn't really step based and frankly, if I have an 1.5 hour, I'm going to do something more aggressive than go for a walk...I can go knock out 25-30 miles on my bike in that time and that would be much more preferable to me and do far more for my actual fitness level at this point. Or I could get into the gym and work on my Oly lifts.

I do enjoy a nice walk, but where my fitness is concerned these days, it just makes for a nice low impact rest day kind of activity along with some yoga or something.

I actually have no clue how many actual steps I get in a day as I've never worn a pedometer or anything...I might actually hit it, I have no idea...but like I said, I don't really worry about that with everything else I do. I do numerous things throughout the day to improve upon my NEAT...I park in the far corner from my office...take the stairs...don't look for "rock star" parking at the grocery store, etc...but I don't consciously fuss about getting some set arbitrary number of steps in a day.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My husband works in retail and routinely gets 10k to12k steps each day. I have a desk job and have to work to get 6k or 7k. It would be really hard for me to get 10k each day.

I have a fitbit Charge HR. When I'm out riding 4 or 5 hours I get crazy steps! I'll take them because I'd be getting more steps if I was walking or running those hours which isn't possible for me, and the lovely number is so motivating :-)
  • javaldez1201
    javaldez1201 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is very hard for me to hit 10k too unless I am running a lot. I have a desk job and I work from home so if I don't push myself i can be under 2k on a busy work day. I think that goal is more about reminding you to move than anything. The long term effects of sitting can cause stress and damage on your body.
  • CactusCat58
    CactusCat58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think 10k is a good guideline to overall health because "fit" does not mean "ripped". I believe that is referring more to improving and/or maintaining your cardio-vascular health. I have no problem doing between 10K-14K a day during the week when I'm working out for 2 hrs a day...... but my Misfit tracker does convert different activities (like swimming, cycling, etc) into steps and from some of the comments I guess the Fitbit does not. Weekends are my resting days and I usually log between 4-7K but I don't obsess about it.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    this is what I use it for...the 10k steps I mean

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

basically tells me how active I am most of the time unless it's a cooking day then it gets shot to hell...

for me I get about 4k in the winter at work...and I am trying everything, summer at work 6k (walk outside) around the building. If I am shopping on my lunch break about another 2k...

so it's the treadmill I go to get the 10k..mainly for the extra food.

Finally someone has explained what all that meant! Thank you!!! I've always thought I was sedentary and people are like, "No that means your bed ridden!!!" I'm now active according to this, so feeling pretty awesome.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think 10k is a good guideline to overall health because "fit" does not mean "ripped". I believe that is referring more to improving and/or maintaining your cardio-vascular health. I have no problem doing between 10K-14K a day during the week when I'm working out for 2 hrs a day...... but my Misfit tracker does convert different activities (like swimming, cycling, etc) into steps and from some of the comments I guess the Fitbit does not. Weekends are my resting days and I usually log between 4-7K but I don't obsess about it.

Fit doesn't mean ripped...I sure as hell am not ripped...but I'm very fit. Personally, I don't think being able to walk just shy of five miles to be a great measure of fitness...I think most people should be able to do that with from a physical standpoint with ease...I'm not talking about other deliberate non step exercise....the people who tend to focus on steps aren't trying to convert swimming or cycling into steps...most of them are walking (which is totally fine by the way)

That's not to say their aren't benefits...but the actual "fitness" of taking 10K steps per day has a pretty low ceiling IMO...
  • CactusCat58
    CactusCat58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Fit doesn't mean ripped...I sure as hell am not ripped...but I'm very fit. Personally, I don't think being able to walk just shy of five miles to be a great measure of fitness...I think most people should be able to do that with from a physical standpoint with ease...I'm not talking about other deliberate non step exercise....the people who tend to focus on steps aren't trying to convert swimming or cycling into steps...most of them are walking (which is totally fine by the way)

That's not to say their aren't benefits...but the actual "fitness" of taking 10K steps per day has a pretty low ceiling IMO...[/quote

The 10K steps was intended to be a "guideline" to motivate people to be more active and, as I said in my original comment, refers more to cardio-vascular health than physique. Regardless of your personal opinion (which I happen to agree with btw) there are millions of people in this country living an almost completely sedentary lifestyle who would have a hard time walking 1-2 miles, let alone 5 and who need guidelines such as the 10K steps as a goal to work toward when they attempt to get more physically fit.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My beer fridge is next to my couch in front of the tv.

That's why the 10,000 step goal has not been much of a problem for me. My beer fridge is in the basement. :p
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    U2R2 wrote: »
    My beer fridge is next to my couch in front of the tv.

That's why the 10,000 step goal has not been much of a problem for me. My beer fridge is in the basement. :p

So is mine. Right next to the couch in front of the 60 inch tv. Yeah, I gotta walk down and up again but just the one time each.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    I developed DVT in 2009 ... left leg full of clots.

I have always been active, but apparently I have a genetic blood disorder which, among other things, causes me to develop clots.

So ever since then, I have made a special effort to get up and move at least once an hour. Hydration helps. Drink lots of water ... and I have to get up and go for a quick walk quite frequently. :grin: But the nagging thought that if I sit too long I could develop clots again is a motivating factor.

This is why 10,000 steps is not a problem for me. It's just daily life. :)
  • Kelly81388
    Kelly81388 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Per my doctor, 3,000 steps per day is sedentary. I set my goal on my fitbit for 8,000. I don't typically hit that goal, but on a day I take a 30 minute walk and go to woodman's shopping, it is more than doable. On an average day, I typically get 6,000 when I make a conscious decision to take 3 10-15 min walks per day.

Also 10 min walk = about 1,000 steps.
  • Joel_Tejeda
    Joel_Tejeda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    If you want to be entertained, check out the forums on the fitbit site, especially the multiple-year threads titled "How Can Anyone Do [50,000, 80,000, some other random number] Steps In A Day?????" And people who join contests on the internet with people who may or may not exist, and complain that people are cheating.

Hhmmm I had a few of those in my last challenge. I swear some of them put their fitbits in the tumble dryer or something to get 50+k steps 7 days a damn week!

My company had purchased Virgin step trackers for the employees and every once in a while a challenge would be posted and yes, there are some CRAZY numbers posted. Now, it's not that difficult to post 20K on a daily basis but anything above 40K is where I question the integrity. I used mine at a marathon (26.2 miles) and the numbers were astronomical but no average person will run a marathon daily. Understand? So, I understand your point and your views on 50K+ but Lord, what in the world are they doing?
  • nebraskafat2fit
    nebraskafat2fit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    10k steps a day is about 5 miles a day. I really think it depends on your lifestyle. 10k steps a day isn't nearly enough for me, so I have to work out as well. But I work in a hospital and I'm on my feet all day, my body is used to walking 5 miles a day. I have to do more than that just to burn calories.

The 10k steps a day goal was created to get people more active, this country has a super couch potato lifestyle. This goal was created in the 1960's though.. in Japan. Let's consider how much life has changed, food has changed, body styles have changed. I think it's a super nice thought to keep people active but I think if you're getting in about 45 minutes to an hour of good hard exercise daily, don't stress about the "10k steps a day".

That being said, it's been proven that it's very difficult to outwork a completely sedentary lifestyle so definitely keep yourself active. :) Keep up the great work. Know what works for you won't work for other people and vise versa. :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If you want to be entertained, check out the forums on the fitbit site, especially the multiple-year threads titled "How Can Anyone Do [50,000, 80,000, some other random number] Steps In A Day?????" And people who join contests on the internet with people who may or may not exist, and complain that people are cheating.

Hhmmm I had a few of those in my last challenge. I swear some of them put their fitbits in the tumble dryer or something to get 50+k steps 7 days a damn week!

My company had purchased Virgin step trackers for the employees and every once in a while a challenge would be posted and yes, there are some CRAZY numbers posted. Now, it's not that difficult to post 20K on a daily basis but anything above 40K is where I question the integrity. I used mine at a marathon (26.2 miles) and the numbers were astronomical but no average person will run a marathon daily. Understand? So, I understand your point and your views on 50K+ but Lord, what in the world are they doing?

Oh Lord, my company set us up with Virgin Pulse too! The first quarter they had a huge company-wide step challenge. The top few teams were coming in with EVERYONE posting 35K (the most you could post) a day. There was a comments section where you were supposed to encourage and motivate your teammates, which degenerated into one of those nasty, finger-pointing, how-can-anyone-do-35K-steps-every-day??? deals. There was something like a 6 way tie at the end - and there was no real reward - just a bunch of extra points which nobody needed. It was...enlightening, since everybody was required to use their real name when posting.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

There were 2 of them in the challenge that were logging astronomical steps. I did ask, one of them replied with the 'walking the neighbourhood" comment, and the other one ignored everyone's questions. I wasn't the only one asking how they did it lol
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

We have had step challenges at work that also allowed you to convert other exercises to steps. This is where some people picked up big numbers.