Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein, Protein, Protein -enough Protein

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Yeah there's a lot of misinformation in general about protein. I gained muscle not eating a crap ton of protein so that myth that you have to eat 100-200g a day to gain muscle is complete crap. Also it doesn't keep me fuller longer.

I eat 250g + of protein and have gained muscle.

As @StealthHealth pointed out, one persons experience is not representative of a population.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    I'm married to a registered dietician and we talk about this stuff all the time. Her focus is health and organ function in critically ill patients so she's always running numbers and looking at blood work, fluid balance issues, electrolyte labs etc. on her patient population. She laughs at how much protein I eat.

This site is fitness focused though so the recommendations are gonna be more swayed toward the athletic, strength training and bodybuilding crowd because those are the people who always sign up as guinea pigs for research.

Protein is also great for controlling hunger! I wish I would have know this in 2010 when i started my journey. I've lost a 100 pounds and and working myself out of the skinny fat predicament. I never thought I could stomach 1gram per pound of body weight but I really love eating high protein mixed with plenty of good complex carbs. I never have cravings for junk, sleep great, have great libido and enjoy the gym.

It might not work for everyone but there is a reason the fitness crowd are obsessed with protein.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Yeah there's a lot of misinformation in general about protein. I gained muscle not eating a crap ton of protein so that myth that you have to eat 100-200g a day to gain muscle is complete crap. Also it doesn't keep me fuller longer.

What was your muscle gain and what was your protein intake during that time in terms of g/lb? You could gain on .6g/lb, I can see this happening for you if your activity is moderate but that's you specifically and not others. The requirements for protein are actually very well established.
    The RDA is established but there's a lot of wack jobs on here eating like 250g of protein a day for what? Absolutely no rasin.

I wast eating between 60-100g usually on the lower end so around .4 and .5 per lb body weight.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

What was your muscle gain and what was your protein intake during that time in terms of g/lb? You could gain on .6g/lb, I can see this happening for you if your activity is moderate but that's you specifically and not others. The requirements for protein are actually very well established.
    The RDA is established but there's a lot of wack jobs on here eating like 250g of protein a day for what? Absolutely no rasin.

I wast eating between 60-100g usually on the lower end so around .4 and .5 per lb body weight.

Are you a vegan or vegetarian? I'm not saying you're doing this, but I've noticed that many protein OTT comments come from those eating this way.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    The multiplier is POINT 8 grams per KILOGRAM of body weight.

That gets misread here all. the. time. as point 8 grams per pound. Not so.

Reading is fundamental.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    (not you psu, I'm talking about the general guideline of .8g per pound of lean body weight.)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016

Reading is fundamental.

I don't think it's being misread very often. I think that many are genuinely suggesting the consumption of 2.2 times the government recommended goal amount for protein.

We need to be sure to get enough protein so I aim for at least the RDA every day and 25 grams above that most days.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    seska422 wrote: »

Reading is fundamental.

I don't think it's being misread very often. I think that many are genuinely suggesting the consumption of 2.2 times the government recommended goal amount for protein.

We need to be sure to get enough protein so I aim for at least the RDA every day and 25 grams above that most days.

FYI - the RDA is based on an average weight and hight for gender. So unless you are close to that average then it comes out to 0.8 x kg.
  • seska422
    cee134 wrote: »

Reading is fundamental.

FYI - the RDA is based on an average weight and hight for gender. So unless you are close to that average then it comes out to 0.8 x kg.

Extra fat doesn't need to be supplied protein. Only lean body mass needs protein.

The RDA is stated to be fine for 98% of the population and can be used as a goal. Using it as a minimum goal and eating a bit more than that every day should provide enough protein.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I do better with higher protein goals. I'd love to have every day 150+!
  • seska422
    edited December 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Reading is fundamental.

No it doesn't @cmriverside

It isn't misread

The multiplier you're talking about is RDA for sedentary people who are not dieting

The multiplier of 0.64-0.8g is for peak training for bodybuilders in a cut and is a reaction to the gymbro 1g per lb

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

"Pikosky et al. in 2008. The researchers took a group of endurance trained subjects and had them consume either 0.41 or 0.82 g/lb of protein per day. They also added a thousand calories worth of training on top of their regular exercise. So these guys were literally running on a 1000 calorie deficit while drastically increasing their training volume. Talk about a catabolic state… Of course the nitrogen balance in the low protein group plummeted. However, the protein intake of 0.82 g/lb in the other group completely protected the subjects from muscle loss. Nitrogen balance, whole-body protein turnover and protein synthesis remained unchanged."

So no ...people recommend 0.8g per lb of bw because preserving muscle is important and because there are no contraindications and really it's far easier to work out your bw than your LBM

I haven't seen on an official site where the RDA recommendation is stated as meant for sedentary people who aren't dieting.

Body weight is fine if you are near an ideal body weight. If you are 50 or 100 or 200 pounds overweight, body weight will give a protein recommendation significantly above government recommendations. Even the broscience websites say to use your goal weight if you are obese. If you are on a low calorie eating plan, it may be more beneficial and attainable to balance calories toward other macros.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Reading is fundamental.

No it doesn't @cmriverside

It isn't misread

The multiplier you're talking about is RDA for sedentary people who are not dieting

The multiplier of 0.64-0.8g is for peak training for bodybuilders in a cut and is a reaction to the gymbro 1g per lb

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

"Pikosky et al. in 2008. The researchers took a group of endurance trained subjects and had them consume either 0.41 or 0.82 g/lb of protein per day. They also added a thousand calories worth of training on top of their regular exercise. So these guys were literally running on a 1000 calorie deficit while drastically increasing their training volume. Talk about a catabolic state… Of course the nitrogen balance in the low protein group plummeted. However, the protein intake of 0.82 g/lb in the other group completely protected the subjects from muscle loss. Nitrogen balance, whole-body protein turnover and protein synthesis remained unchanged."

So no ...people recommend 0.8g per lb of bw because preserving muscle is important and because there are no contraindications and really it's far easier to work out your bw than your LBM

I haven't seen on an official site where the RDA recommendation is stated as meant for sedentary people who aren't dieting.

Body weight is fine if you are near an ideal body weight. If you are 50 or 100 or 200 pounds overweight, body weight will give a protein recommendation significantly above government recommendations. Even the broscience websites say to use your goal weight if you are obese. If you are on a low calorie eating plan, it may be more beneficial and attainable to balance calories toward other macros.

My understanding was all RDAs are based on average individuals (median) per age group and the median activity level is sedentary https://www.fitness.gov/resource-center/facts-and-statistics/

Bodyweight at goal if obese hence the "peak training for bodybuilders in a cut" comment

I found the article linked and the source studies interesting
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

Reading is fundamental.

Thank you! I just looked up the uk guidelines and over here it's. 75 per kilo - all along I've been thinking it was per pound!
    The source I looked at does point out that certain groups need more, including athletes,bodybuilders etc.