Protein, Protein, Protein -enough Protein

Options
It's like an epidemic. Of course, we need protein, it's essential for our health, it's used to build muscles, hair, and nails. I think the typical American diet contains enough protein. We eat meat, fish, and eggs with every meal.

I am not a bodybuilder, neither am I an active athlete. I am just a fat woman trying to lose weight.

People's comments on the protein intake here are humorous. "Good day, enough protein." Really?

If I decide to have a meatless day and eat veggies only -like we did when I was a child, then it's not a good day?

Weight loss comes from counting calories, so I will lose weight when I eat 1200 calories of vegetable stew, won't I?

Years ago a study showed that we all lose weight faster if we don't combine carbs with protein. So instead of the protein epidemic, people ate protein alone for one meal, then carbs and fiber for the next meal, the results were similar to the Atkins diet and all the other diets that are copycats like Paleo and Southbeach.

Isn't too much protein unhealthy and can even be harmful to our body? (Liver and Kidney)

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There's a million or so people who've commented on the community pages here. Which of them are you hoping will see your soliloquy?
  • Moby_Dick
    Moby_Dick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There's a million or so people who've commented on the community pages here. Which of them are you hoping will see your soliloquy?

A Nutritionist of course, or any other expert here on the board. A doctor, a biochemist who specializes in the effect of nutrition on long-term health. Someone who knows more than we do.

There are people out there who eat cotton balls and guess what, they lose weight. That doesn't make it right, neither is it healthy.

Are experts here at MFP or do we all just follow blindly guidelines without asking questions?

• Moby_Dick
    Moby_Dick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I guess the question is what do you want to lose? Do you mind losing muscle as well as fat? If you want to be healthy while you lose, protein is important. So is working out (lifting something and some cardio).

Not everyone gets all the protein they need. I often supplement my diet with a whey shake. I am also training for long distance races as well as lifting. I am not trying to lose but the same concept applies. BTW - I'm targeting about 100 grams a day. I do not eat meat, fish, and eggs at every meal.

Also, one study does not make it a fact. It has to be replicated with the same results. However, I'd be interested in the study you mentioned. Can you provide a link?

There are numerous studies out there. Search it, and you will find them yourself. To be honest, there are more than I could list here. The proprotein studies are often paid studies and ads from companies who try to sell their products or their diets. We all have the research at our fingertips.

I want to lose weight and gain health. I am not interested in building muscles; that's why the protein intake is an issue.

I think protein is very important if you train for a marathon or like you, for long distant races, but I don't have to eat the same way if I "just" want to lose weight.

Am not sure if I am allowed to post links here or if I will get flagged. I will send you some in a message tomorrow.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    BTW- I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm here to learn as well.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Moby_Dick wrote: »
    It's like an epidemic. Of course, we need protein, it's essential for our health, it's used to build muscles, hair, and nails. I think the typical American diet contains enough protein. We eat meat, fish, and eggs with every meal.

I am not a bodybuilder, neither am I an active athlete. I am just a fat woman trying to lose weight.

People's comments on the protein intake here are humorous. "Good day, enough protein." Really?

If I decide to have a meatless day and eat veggies only -like we did when I was a child, then it's not a good day?

Weight loss comes from counting calories, so I will lose weight when I eat 1200 calories of vegetable stew, won't I?

Years ago a study showed that we all lose weight faster if we don't combine carbs with protein. So instead of the protein epidemic, people ate protein alone for one meal, then carbs and fiber for the next meal, the results were similar to the Atkins diet and all the other diets that are copycats like Paleo and Southbeach.

Isn't too much protein unhealthy and can even be harmful to our body? (Liver and Kidney)

I'm several years into maintenance now and I've never paid attention to macros ratios. My protein intake falls where it falls, but when I spot check I seem to hit above what's recommended (not MFP's number, but going by this https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/ ). Just checked my last 3 'spot check' days and I had 49g, 56g and 63g of protein. Right on target or a little above where I should be.