Who has lost weight NOT eating clean?

Options

Replies

• Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Me. I can lose weight and eat whatever I want. But I gotta make sure im incorporating my same vigorous exercise to go with it. But when Im in situations like I am now, where I am injured and can't lift weights, I am nowhere near as active, and it always catches up to me.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Last year when I dropped a fair bit, the biggest (initial) losses came from not tracking macros or calories and mostly eating ready meals. I was doing a fair bit of manual labour moving large amounts of car parts at my business to a new premises. Friends that ate relatively 'cleaner' were certainly less fit than me.
    I am going to show my ignorance. What is eating clean? Is ice cream clean? I hope so!
    Anything from only eating food that's still attached to what ever it's growing on, to pretty much what ever you want, providing you have a bit of salad at some point, so you can tell people you eat 'clean'.
    Some claim it's not eating processed food - but I've then heard that if you do exactly the same processing yourself at home, it magically becomes 'clean', where if you watched someone else in a company do the same thing, then paid for it - it would not be 'clean'.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have.

I do eat a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables, make most of the food we eat from fresh ingredients (try to avoid packaged foods that have added preservatives, sugars and sodium) limit red meat, but do eat lean steak occassionally, avoid eating out at restaurants, bring my lunch to work every day.

I basically count calories. Calories in vs: calories out. Logging it in on MFP. It is working for me.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I try to eat cleaner foods generally but I still love to order in pizza (I just don't eat the whole thing by myself anymore) and if I don't have a little bit of chocolate most days I am miserable but I often have dark chocolate rather than milk now
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure what dirty food is,so not something I worry about.Moderation is key for me.What other people do is their business.

Early am,I pretty much plan the days food/calorie count.If we decide to eat out,that's good,I can cut down the food eaten at home that day.Exercise a bit more,but don't stress over numbers.

I track it all,the good or bad .
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Idk I weigh 70 pounds and I lost weight eating crap. I use to be 110 3 months ago but i restrict so

MFP is not intended for, nor does it advocate, pro Ana/pro Mia lifestyles.

Please seek help.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I figure, I am going to die someday =) I'd like to enjoy life, and have stuff that doesn't taste like cardboard.

What clean foods do you think taste like cardboard? I think some highly processed diet foods probably taste like cardboard, but that wouldn't be what is typically considered "clean." Most of these foods have a lot of flavor or can be made very flavorful with herbs and spices.

A lot of clean eating foods could probably be considered rabbit foods, though. Maybe that can be the newest diet: The Bunny Rabbit Diet. Only eat it if your bunny friends would. How do rabbits get their protein?
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I wash my food before I eat it, and sometimes put it in the washing machine. Very clean!

Anywho, I lost over 40 pounds eating what I wanted. I just cut back the poptarts from a box a day to only one package. It worked for me!
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    great topic! huge help, thanks!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A real question though: where are all these posts on MFP saying you can only lose weight if you eat clean? The way some of these threads are written, you'd think we stumbled on a clean eating website's forum. I rarely (not never but rarely) see posts on the main forums saying you MUST eat clean to lose weight or be healthy. I see far more posts promoting IIFYM (which I have no problem with, the approach or promoting it.)

I do much better with weight loss when I am doing better with clean eating, but I know that technically I don't need to in order to lose the weight. It's just how well I do (or don't do) with eating in moderation and making room for treats. I do better keeping treats out of my normal life and keeping them as much more sometimes foods.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I ate a piece of cake every day for a week and dropped 1.5 lbs.

NOMNOMNOM CAKE.
  • Pixilox
    Pixilox Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't label foods clean or dirty. For me, it's more about calories and the kind I take in. I eat pizza, pasta, ice cream, chocolate, etc. but I don't eat massive amounts of them like I used to. A slice of homemade pizza or a piece of cake isn't going to kill me, just like a diet of lettuce and carrots isn't going to make me super healthy. Moderation is the key (well, my key anyway).
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    i dont eat "clean", but im eating "cleaner" than before.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Idk I weigh 70 pounds and I lost weight eating crap. I use to be 110 3 months ago but i restrict so

MFP is not intended for, nor does it advocate, pro Ana/pro Mia lifestyles.

Please seek help.

Agreed
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I did that my first month. I ate talenti gelatos and frozen pizzas. I lost 7 lbs all in my cal limit. When I slowly cut out more processed foods and ate more whole foods I got better results. My waist went down a couple inches(finally). Plus I feel 10x better.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I did. Eating clean(er) is probably better for your health, but for JUST losing weight, calories in v. calories out is all that matters.

I ate clean to improve my health and physique...not necessary to lose weight as stated in the quote above.

8488541.png
  • rockinchick221976
    rockinchick221976 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy: I'm not eating clean all the time, I've incorporated more fruits and veggies into my diet, but I still eat a lot of processed foods. However, I am much more mindful of what is in them and opt for low fat, fat free, suger free versions whenever possible. I've been averaging about a 2 lb a week lossby staying at or below my alotted calorie amount of 1,200 calories a day. In addition to watching my calories, I've also been very careful not to exceed my alotted suger, fat, sodium (although not always very sucessful with that one as most processed foods usually contain a lot of sodium), carbs, and protein. I alomst always exceed my protein allowance and always have a carb deficit, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing. I weigh or measure EVERYTHING though and when possible I do my diary for the next day in advance the night before, based on what I have in my fridge so that I have it all mapped out for me and am not entering thing into diary after I've already eaten them and can't do much about it. I've found that this really keeps me on track. I also have been drinking a cup of flavored green tea without suger or milk after every meal to boost my metabolism. I do minimal exercise, 10 or 15 minutes of strength training with 5 lb weights split up into 2 to 4 sessions throughout the day when I have time. I find it easier that way then trying to set aside an entire hour to work out which may not be possible everyday. I think it's better to eat what you want in moderation and be happy then to deprive yourself all the time. It's easier to stick with long term as a lifesyle change. So, I say if you are still losing weight eating Jack Burgers, or whatever, then why stop. Just keep up what you are doing, if you're losing then it's obviously working.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    Me!
    I don't really know exactly what clean eating entails but since I eat cookies a few times a week (My job requires that I taste our baked goods to make sure that they are fresh, life is soooo hard, lol!), chinese take out once every month or so, cheese, pasta, etc., I'm guessing that I don't eat exactly clean. However, I don't eat out so much, at least not like I used to.
    I lost all these pounds by increasing my daily activity (walking....lots of walking) and eating things I like in moderation (smaller portions). I do eat healthy most of the time. I'm a vegetarian. My go to breakfast is greek yogurt with a sprinkle of granola and I love salad with only a teeny tiny bit of dressing....but gosh darn it life is too short to not enjoy some lo-mein or a muffin once in a while! :drinker:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: :happy: I'm not eating clean all the time, I've incorporated more fruits and veggies into my diet, but I still eat a lot of processed foods. However, I am much more mindful of what is in them and opt for low fat, fat free, suger free versions whenever possible. I've been averaging about a 2 lb a week lossby staying at or below my alotted calorie amount of 1,200 calories a day. In addition to watching my calories, I've also been very careful not to exceed my alotted suger, fat, sodium (although not always very sucessful with that one as most processed foods usually contain a lot of sodium), carbs, and protein. I alomst always exceed my protein allowance and always have a carb deficit, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing. I weigh or measure EVERYTHING though and when possible I do my diary for the next day in advance the night before, based on what I have in my fridge so that I have it all mapped out for me and am not entering thing into diary after I've already eaten them and can't do much about it. I've found that this really keeps me on track. I also have been drinking a cup of flavored green tea without suger or milk after every meal to boost my metabolism. I do minimal exercise, 10 or 15 minutes of strength training with 5 lb weights split up into 2 to 4 sessions throughout the day when I have time. I find it easier that way then trying to set aside an entire hour to work out which may not be possible everyday. I think it's better to eat what you want in moderation and be happy then to deprive yourself all the time. It's easier to stick with long term as a lifesyle change. So, I say if you are still losing weight eating Jack Burgers, or whatever, then why stop. Just keep up what you are doing, if you're losing then it's obviously working.
    there is so much wrong with this that it hurts. I can't even... I just.. I'm done with this thread.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I like vegetables, so I eat healthy things anyway. But I still have crisps and chocolate. I just make sure I count the calories and don't go over. I think if I completely cut out food I enjoyed I wouldn't motivated at all.