Who has lost weight NOT eating clean?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    At first, just being in a calorie deficit is enough. But personally, now i'm 6- 10lbs from my goal, it doesn't work like that anymore.

So I think, to lose weight and just be in the healthy range, nice and normal.. Just being in a deficit works.
    But if you want to make the most of what you got, eating clean will make you healthier and look healthier. You're not going to get abs even if you workout a lot if you are eating *kitten* food everyday. IMO
    Haha.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    At first, just being in a calorie deficit is enough. But personally, now i'm 6- 10lbs from my goal, it doesn't work like that anymore.

So I think, to lose weight and just be in the healthy range, nice and normal.. Just being in a deficit works.
    But if you want to make the most of what you got, eating clean will make you healthier and look healthier. You're not going to get abs even if you workout a lot if you are eating *kitten* food everyday. IMO

Funny, I'm 4 pounds away from goal, and IIFYM is still working just fine for me.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    A giant bowl of veggies kept me full longer and gave me a ton more energy making me want to work out more.

A giant bowl of veggies never did that for me. I can FEEL full eating them, but a half hour later, my guts are growling again and I'm on the hunt for something more calorie dense.

Now, a bowl of veggies with some protein and fat... that will keep me going. But so will a slice of pizza with some protein and fat.

Everyone's bodies reacts differently to different foods. Personally, my body doesn't love dairy. I'm not lactose intolerant, but I just feel bloated from it. I will agree though, adding chicken to my salads or eggs definetly help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Context is important. You can eat some less nutritious foods here and there in the day and still get abs and still be healthy - the diet as a whole matters, not the individual foods. My ice cream is not clean but I can assure you, it is not ****.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

me, I did, I did.

I still am. :drinker:
  • vjm7981
    vjm7981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have not deprived myself of one little thing throughout my journey thus far! I love to drink and eat and will continue to do just that! It's all about moderation. This whole "you have to eat clean" mentality is a bunch of hoo-ha. That's my opinion. Do I eat fruits and veggies, of course, but that's b/c I LIKE them and ENJOY eating them. I whole heartedly believe in the IIFYM option. Has and is continuing to work for me! YOLO, so enjoy the time you have! :drinker:
  • xoxobollywood2
    Options
    Last summer, between June to August I went from 158 lbs to 135 lbs. I lost 24 lbs in 3 months just by eating healthy and walking 5 times a week + zumba 2 times a week. but I did NOT clean all the time though. I ate healthy most of the time, like eggs, oatmeal or toast for breakfast, salad, tunawrap or peanut butter jelly for lunch, and whole wheat pita with tuna filling, baked salmon with veggies or rice and indian curry for dinner and normal snacks like nuts, fruits and veggies..:) I ate whatever I wanted almost every week, but in moderation:) within my calories...And BAM! I lost weight , and looked slimmer..lost inches and so on..

But then I gained like 35 lbs when school started..so I ate without control. My weight just kept growing, so when new year was around the corner I decided to lose the weight again..so this January 2013 I started eating healthy...but it didn't go well because my fat intake was too high! BUT THEN in May I became a vegetarian and that helped a lot. My starting weight in May was 166, and to this day I am 17 lbs down..:) all by eating healthy, and hiking..+ some cheat meals here and there :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Ba BAM!

I eat all the foodz! Because I likes em.
  • malibu5880
    malibu5880 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Me.

I'd go nuts if I couldn't munch on some chips or candy once in a while. I couldn't care less what someone else eats - if it works for them, great. I do NOT like when someone tells me their way is better than mine, especially when it's working for me.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. I hear "ya gotta eat clean!" Drilled into so many people's heads around here I wonder if anyone just sticks to eating fewer calories than they burn and losing weight that way. For now at least, I'm not worried about what I eat so much as how many calories I go through in a day. If I want a bowl of cereal in the morning and then to stop off at jack for lunch and get a jumbo jack and fries, I do it. And I'm actually losing weight doing this. Just adding water and exercise.
    I think many of us did this in the beginning, it's a good starting place. I've cleaned up my foods but I can't say I eat perfect (whatever that is) but I prefer healthier foods over unhealthy simple carbs. My body simply responds better to healthier foods than junk/processed pkg'd foods.

We all have different goals.. I think the most important thing is to pick something, anything and make a chance, make that a habit and then move on to a new goal.

:flowerforyou:
    Me.

I'd go nuts if I couldn't munch on some chips or candy once in a while. I couldn't care less what someone else eats - if it works for them, great. I do NOT like when someone tells me their way is better than mine, especially when it's working for me.
    This is where I get in trouble... but for many it's not triggering, for some of us it's easiest to steer clear of what got us here in the first place. Some days I can't eat a piece of cake and be OK, so I try not to eat it for now. Maybe one day the addiction of simply carbs will be lessened for me but for now it's safer for me to steer clear.

Do I always do that? NO, but I always feel much better when I do... my body feels less lethargic, my brain thinks more clearly, my decision making is much more clear for future food choices when I lean more on the veggies, fruit and lighter proteins.

We all have to find our way, my way is not the perfect way but it's the best for me at the moment. I like feeding my body clean foods, for me that's like clean fuel vs. that keeps my body running more efficiently, but it doesn't seem to work that way for all of us. Besides that term has so many meanings and we all interpret it differently.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am a dirty, dirty eater.

Oh god say it to me again....but in a deeper, sexier voice......please.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am a dirty, dirty eater.

Oh god say it to me again, but in a deeper dirtier way :)
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    I meet my calorie and macro goals while enjoying whatever I feel like (and can fit in). I have eaten ice cream and chocolate every day for the past 3 or 4 days. I tend to stick to around 80/20 for "clean" vs. "dirty" and it works amazing for me.
  • Kabuhtu
    Kabuhtu Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Could I be losing weight faster? Sure. Would I be happy and satisfied? Nope.

Best quote on dieting and healthy eating EVER!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    What's the point if you aren't going to change your lifestyle? The majority of people will simply gain the weight back. And what about health? I'd rather be healthy, not just skinny.
    I'm not saying we should never treat ourselves or have processed food, but none of us would be on this site to begin with if eating **** in moderation worked out, and none of us certainly are going to be healthy regardless.

Sweeping statements like these are just plain silly.

Point of fact.

I am changing my lifestyle. I'm eating less of everything. Quantity has been my problem, not quality.
    I'm exercising on a regular basis, something I've not done for years. Laziness has always been a problem.jv
    I may be fat, I may not be fit, but I am healthy.
    No diabetes. No heart issues. No blood pressure issues. No cholesterol issues. (Funnily enough, I know a number of fit, clean eating people who are dealing with those issues in their lives.)

We're all here with different goals, and different ways of doing things.

Like the guy there who wants single digit fat percentage. Good for him. Not a goal for me.

He's not wrong for his goals, but neither am I.

But I would be wrong to put my goals on him, or vice versa.
  • shayshee1990
    Options
    I tried eating clean and couldn't. I've always been able to lose weight from cutting calories and honestly I couldn't live without candy every once in awhile.
  • JosephWilson86
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds eating meat, cheese, and ranch dressing three times a day and then having a nasty epic cheat day once a week. I am really starting to think that weight loss is mostly calorie related.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    What's the point if you aren't going to change your lifestyle? The majority of people will simply gain the weight back. And what about health? I'd rather be healthy, not just skinny.
    I'm not saying we should never treat ourselves or have processed food, but none of us would be on this site to begin with if eating **** in moderation worked out, and none of us certainly are going to be healthy regardless.

Sweeping statements like these are just plain silly.

Point of fact.

I am changing my lifestyle. I'm eating less of everything. Quantity has been my problem, not quality.
    I'm exercising on a regular basis, something I've not done for years. Laziness has always been a problem.jv
    I may be fat, I may not be fit, but I am healthy.
    No diabetes. No heart issues. No blood pressure issues. No cholesterol issues. (Funnily enough, I know a number of fit, clean eating people who are dealing with those issues in their lives.)

We're all here with different goals, and different ways of doing things.

Like the guy there who wants single digit fat percentage. Good for him. Not a goal for me.

He's not wrong for his goals, but neither am I.

But I would be wrong to put my goals on him, or vice versa.
    I agree 100%! On that note, the point for me was to reclaim my life and my health. I have done both through moderation. Not practicing moderation and being lazy was the reason I was obese. I went from being on 5 different maintenance meds to going completely off them all. I lost weight and reclaimed my health while still enjoying "junk"food food on occasion. I have also built muscle and lowered my fat percent to BELOW 20%. I think clean eaters need for moderation eaters need to tell themselves that others are unhealthy, maybe it makes them feel better IDK. Their arguments don't seem very thought out to me.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am going to show my ignorance. What is eating clean? Is ice cream clean? I hope so!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I do them both. I don't just eat clean but I also don't focus on junk food. I focus on building habits I can live with. I am not going to eat clean forever and be happy but I can cut back on or cut out junk food. I eat more veggies bc I get more energy and I feel better throughout the day. And I feel fuller longer. But everything is ok in moderation. I think it is fine.