Help what am I doing wrong? I cant lose weight

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @najranforever. You are completely right. I have also witnessed this first hand. Fast food is hard to digest and once I decided to cut this out I drastically saw results as hard as it can be to refrain from it. Every medical doctor or deitician in the world will tell you that eating healthy is a major part of weight loss (combined with monitoring calories). I can't quite understand why people want to deny what even a dietician, who specializes in weight management, would tell you. I'm certain they (doctors and dieticians) have more knowledge and training than the average person.

What makes fast food harder to digest? Why wouldn't this be a good thing for weight loss (as laid out numerous times in this thread)? Eating healthy comes in a lot of forms. Why are you choosing to shame people for something that can absolutely fit into a healthy and balanced diet?

I'm really sorry you feel that way. Please tell me where I have shamed people? It is good for me to understand if I've used my speech inappropriately so I can adjust accordingly as my intentions are good. I feel like I simply shared my personal experience with food and indicated what a MD would tell you if you inquired about a healthy diet plan. When a doctor tells a patient to eat fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean protein and eat junk food in moderation is this 'shaming', or informing on good food choices?

Why is ground beef, lettuce, tomato, and a bun considered "junk"? Or sauce, bread, cheese, and toppings? Or the rice, beans, sofritas, and veggies I had at Chipotle last week?

A lot of comments were raised in the last three pages about why fast food is not harder to digest. You've ignored all of them. Continue to ignore all of them in favor of agreeing with the one person using all caps to SHOUT at people. You presume to know more about people and their dietary needs than they do. And now you're passing judgement on whether or not *their* choices meet *your* personal standards. You really don't see the problem here?

Nutrition and healthy diets are nuanced. They aren't about shouting down all fast food as junk, eat only organic, etc. Big changes and shouted directives can be scary for newer dieters. If you aren't going to back up what you say, are they all just to line up and ask you about each choice they make? I'll skip that in favor of arming them with better info instead of shouted fear mongering.

A quick illustration to illustrate that our bodies digest certain foods easier than others:

It takes about 24 to 72 hours for most people to digest food. However, because hamburgers are a fattier food, it can take up to three days to fully digest, according to research by Dian Dooley, an associate professor of Food Science and Human Nutrition. A fruit salad, on the other hand, only takes 30 minutes to digest because it’s easier for the body to break down water-laden fruits and veggies.

In no way am I trying to instill fear. Just advocate a well balanced diet, where one can indulge once in awhile but also make good food choices.

Again, that has nothing to do with fast food.

Or weight loss.

Most think that quickly-digested foods (which almost certainly includes plenty of fast food) are a problem for weight loss because they can result in a spike and crash that makes some people hungry in a short amount of time. Many healthy people won't have this issue, but many do, which is why a lot of people find quick carbs (white bread, sugary things, lower fiber/higher sugar fruits, like those in fruit salad) to be not satisfying, or not satisfying long term. Those people often find it helpful to eat foods with more fiber (to slow digestion) or fat (same).

Harder to digest (like protein, with a higher TEF, or fiber) simply does not make a food more "fattening" -- quite the opposite, as was explained above. Thus, why on earth would the claim that fast food is "hard to digest" instill fear in a dieter (although it seems quite unlikely to be true, because fast food involves lots of low fiber carbs typically, although not always)?

OP is doing a HFLC diet, and part of the reason for that is often slower digestion to help with the appetite, I think.

(For the record, hard to digest and fast to digest are different. Fat is more slowly digested than low fiber carbs, but is not harder to digest -- it's TEF is equally low or lower and many HFLC dieters will say a benefit has to do with elimination (although not going there any further than necessary). Fiber, which most consider healthy, IS hard to digest and to some extent not digestible. Protein is also harder to digest in that it takes more calories to do so (higher TEF).)

This is all kind of interesting, IMO, but again probably not related to OP's issues.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @najranforever. You are completely right. I have also witnessed this first hand. Fast food is hard to digest and once I decided to cut this out I drastically saw results as hard as it can be to refrain from it. Every medical doctor or deitician in the world will tell you that eating healthy is a major part of weight loss (combined with monitoring calories). I can't quite understand why people want to deny what even a dietician, who specializes in weight management, would tell you. I'm certain they (doctors and dieticians) have more knowledge and training than the average person.

What makes fast food harder to digest? Why wouldn't this be a good thing for weight loss (as laid out numerous times in this thread)? Eating healthy comes in a lot of forms. Why are you choosing to shame people for something that can absolutely fit into a healthy and balanced diet?

I'm really sorry you feel that way. Please tell me where I have shamed people? It is good for me to understand if I've used my speech inappropriately so I can adjust accordingly as my intentions are good. I feel like I simply shared my personal experience with food and indicated what a MD would tell you if you inquired about a healthy diet plan. When a doctor tells a patient to eat fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean protein and eat junk food in moderation is this 'shaming', or informing on good food choices?

Why is ground beef, lettuce, tomato, and a bun considered "junk"? Or sauce, bread, cheese, and toppings? Or the rice, beans, sofritas, and veggies I had at Chipotle last week?

A lot of comments were raised in the last three pages about why fast food is not harder to digest. You've ignored all of them. Continue to ignore all of them in favor of agreeing with the one person using all caps to SHOUT at people. You presume to know more about people and their dietary needs than they do. And now you're passing judgement on whether or not *their* choices meet *your* personal standards. You really don't see the problem here?

Nutrition and healthy diets are nuanced. They aren't about shouting down all fast food as junk, eat only organic, etc. Big changes and shouted directives can be scary for newer dieters. If you aren't going to back up what you say, are they all just to line up and ask you about each choice they make? I'll skip that in favor of arming them with better info instead of shouted fear mongering.

A quick illustration to illustrate that our bodies digest certain foods easier than others:

It takes about 24 to 72 hours for most people to digest food. However, because hamburgers are a fattier food, it can take up to three days to fully digest, according to research by Dian Dooley, an associate professor of Food Science and Human Nutrition. A fruit salad, on the other hand, only takes 30 minutes to digest because it’s easier for the body to break down water-laden fruits and veggies.

In no way am I trying to instill fear. Just advocate a well balanced diet, where one can indulge once in awhile but also make good food choices.

This says nothing about where the burger or the fruit were purchased. Apple slices from McDonald's take the same amount of time to digest as apple slices from my mom's apple tree. Different foods digest at different rates. This is known. It's not about "fast food" or "organic." Why do you keep moving the goal posts?

Apples are different. They would in fact digest at the same rate. Typical fast food, which tends to have to 3 times the amount of fat vs when cooked at home (ex: cooked in less oil and grease, substitute oven fries instead of deep fred fries) is harder to digest.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

This says nothing about where the burger or the fruit were purchased. Apple slices from McDonald's take the same amount of time to digest as apple slices from my mom's apple tree. Different foods digest at different rates. This is known. It's not about "fast food" or "organic." Why do you keep moving the goal posts?

Apples are different. They would in fact digest at the same rate. Typical fast food, which tends to have to 3 times the amount of fat vs when cooked at home (ex: cooked in less oil and grease, substitute oven fries instead of deep fred fries) is harder to digest.

The original post you agreed with said no fast food and eat 100% organic. Now apples are fine. And certain types of fast food. And maybe fast food in small amounts if your doctor says okay. And some fast food digests the same and some doesn't. Can you see why this discussion feels like it's going in circles?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

We have a Fry Daddy :D
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options

The original post you agreed with said no fast food and eat 100% organic. Now apples are fine. And certain types of fast food. And maybe fast food in small amounts if your doctor says okay. And some fast food digests the same and some doesn't. Can you see why this discussion feels like it's going in circles?

I personally do not eat fast food but as I mentioned before I understand that this is not for everyone so I do feel like it's fair to create the correct balance for those that do indulge in it rather than claim that it's OK for an MD to hold the belief that there is no 'healthy food' or 'non-healthy' food. An MD would not say deep fried fries are 'healthy' but would say you can have it now and then. This debate could likely go on for days. I've shared my opinion and experience. After the user that I responded to originally clarified her ratio of junk vs quality food she did a great job of demonstrating balance and great responsibility to others which I thought was fantastic and what people need to know.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I personally do not eat fast food but as I mentioned before I understand that this is not for everyone so I do feel like it's fair to create the correct balance for those that do indulge in it rather than claim that it's OK for an MD to hold the belief that there is no 'healthy food' or 'non-healthy' food. An MD would not say deep fried fries are 'healthy' but would say you can have it now and then. This debate could likely go on for days. I've shared my opinion and experience. After the user that I responded to originally clarified her ratio of junk vs quality food she did a great job of demonstrating balance and great responsibility to others which I thought was fantastic and what people need to know.

As mentioned before, MDs have very little training in nutrition. I'm interested in what an MD would say if I go to them to have an injury or disease treated. I'm not interested in how they might suggest I should eat because I know that's not their field of specialization and most of them have very little training in it.

Repeatedly harping on the MD thing is nothing more than a false appeal to authority.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

As mentioned before, MDs have very little training in nutrition. I'm interested in what an MD would say if I go to them to have an injury or disease treated. I'm not interested in how they might suggest I should eat because I know that's not their field of specialization and most of them have very little training in it.

Repeatedly harping on the MD thing is nothing more than a false appeal to authority.

Dieticians also
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options
    rkg1966 wrote: »

Dieticians also

Are you a doctor or a dietician? If not, please just stop.

I'm just speaking truth. I encourage you to speak yours as well :) ...my purpose is never attack but just because I'm not a doctor or a dietician I can't speak on what they are shown to recommend? I will leave it at that as I mentioned discussions on this topic can go on forever
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    rkg1966 wrote: »

Dieticians also

Are you a doctor or a dietician? If not, please just stop.

I'm just speaking truth. I encourage you to speak yours as well :) ...my purpose is never attack but just because I'm not a doctor or a dietician I can't speak on what they are shown to recommend? I will leave it at that as I mentioned discussions on this topic can go on forever

Why haven't you addressed the many people who've indicated their own dietitian disagreed. Your insistence on moving the goal posts, ignoring direct questions, and skipping posts that don't agree with you honestly makes it feel like you've decided you know more than the rest of us and feel the need to educate/lecture us on what you think you know.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A statement like, "I am just speaking truth" with no backup and then further declaring that contradictory statements are equally true, seems to me to be a variant of the liar's paradox. Show me the evidence.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A statement like, "I am just speaking truth" with no backup and then further declaring that contradictory statements are equally true, seems to me to be a variant of the liar's paradox. Show me the evidence.

Do not take my word for it that they would advocate healthy food with indulgence in moderation. The next time you visit your doctor or your dietician I urge you to specially ask them the foods they recommend for long-term weight loss (and health). You can get the information straight from the horses mouth.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

as for medical doctors they dont go through a lot of training or schooling for nutrition and diet(unless they are a specialist of some sort then its possible they have some expertise), what they learn in med school for things like that is very limited. they can of course run tests and see if you are deficient in certain nutrients and what not. but my dr told me aside from a special diet(that I HAVE to be on for health reasons) just to watch my calories and make sure I get plenty of exercise. she never said I had to eat "healthy" to lose weight.

now a dietitian may have more training than a general GP/PCP,etc and of course maybe more than a normal person. but doctors even though they spend years in med school dont learn a lot about these things, now for you maybe you saw results and maybe its something in the fast food you have an intolerance or allergy to. I know I cant eat pizza hut pizza as it makes me sick with stomach issues every time,so I dont eat it. but other pizza I can eat with no issues. eating healthy doesnt always mean weight loss,a caloric deficit does.even eating too many healthy foods can result in weight gain.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

That right there is why I eat a low carb, high fat diet. So I'm not hungry every 30 freaking minutes!

Bring on the burgers (hold the bun)!

Oh, and by the by, I lost 50 lbs in seven months eating LCHF, and have kept it off for over three years. My blood work and other health markers are perfect. Fat is not bad for you. For some of us it is so satiating we are able to eat much less, without going hungry, and can lose weight without counting calories. Fat is fantastic :)