Help what am I doing wrong? I cant lose weight

Options
12346»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A statement like, "I am just speaking truth" with no backup and then further declaring that contradictory statements are equally true, seems to me to be a variant of the liar's paradox. Show me the evidence.

Do not take my word for it that they would advocate healthy food with indulgence in moderation. The next time you visit your doctor or your dietician I urge you to specially ask them the foods they recommend for long-term weight loss (and health). You can get the information straight from the horses mouth.

I do the the information straight from the horses mouth.
    My horse states that you're wrong.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do not take my word for it

Okay.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @AntoinetteAngus it just so happens I was under the care of a dietitian for years. Your claims never came up. I am highly conservative when it comes to my health, preferring vetted, expert sources for my information. My dietitian worked with me and my preferences to develop a plan. With over eighty pounds lost, I've gained at least a decade in longevity.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @najranforever. You are completely right. I have also witnessed this first hand. Fast food is hard to digest and once I decided to cut this out I drastically saw results as hard as it can be to refrain from it. Every medical doctor or deitician in the world will tell you that eating healthy is a major part of weight loss (combined with monitoring calories). I can't quite understand why people want to deny what even a dietician, who specializes in weight management, would tell you. I'm certain they (doctors and dieticians) have more knowledge and training than the average person.

What makes fast food harder to digest? Why wouldn't this be a good thing for weight loss (as laid out numerous times in this thread)? Eating healthy comes in a lot of forms. Why are you choosing to shame people for something that can absolutely fit into a healthy and balanced diet?

I'm really sorry you feel that way. Please tell me where I have shamed people? It is good for me to understand if I've used my speech inappropriately so I can adjust accordingly as my intentions are good. I feel like I simply shared my personal experience with food and indicated what a MD would tell you if you inquired about a healthy diet plan. When a doctor tells a patient to eat fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean protein and eat junk food in moderation is this 'shaming', or informing on good food choices?

Why is ground beef, lettuce, tomato, and a bun considered "junk"? Or sauce, bread, cheese, and toppings? Or the rice, beans, sofritas, and veggies I had at Chipotle last week?

A lot of comments were raised in the last three pages about why fast food is not harder to digest. You've ignored all of them. Continue to ignore all of them in favor of agreeing with the one person using all caps to SHOUT at people. You presume to know more about people and their dietary needs than they do. And now you're passing judgement on whether or not *their* choices meet *your* personal standards. You really don't see the problem here?

Nutrition and healthy diets are nuanced. They aren't about shouting down all fast food as junk, eat only organic, etc. Big changes and shouted directives can be scary for newer dieters. If you aren't going to back up what you say, are they all just to line up and ask you about each choice they make? I'll skip that in favor of arming them with better info instead of shouted fear mongering.

A quick illustration to illustrate that our bodies digest certain foods easier than others:

It takes about 24 to 72 hours for most people to digest food. However, because hamburgers are a fattier food, it can take up to three days to fully digest, according to research by Dian Dooley, an associate professor of Food Science and Human Nutrition. A fruit salad, on the other hand, only takes 30 minutes to digest because it’s easier for the body to break down water-laden fruits and veggies.

In no way am I trying to instill fear. Just advocate a well balanced diet, where one can indulge once in awhile but also make good food choices.

This says nothing about where the burger or the fruit were purchased. Apple slices from McDonald's take the same amount of time to digest as apple slices from my mom's apple tree. Different foods digest at different rates. This is known. It's not about "fast food" or "organic." Why do you keep moving the goal posts?

Apples are different. They would in fact digest at the same rate. Typical fast food, which tends to have to 3 times the amount of fat vs when cooked at home (ex: cooked in less oil and grease, substitute oven fries instead of deep fred fries) is harder to digest.

I'm curious if you are subscribed to a weight loss program that advocates low fat and therefore that is why you think that is the best to cut fats?

There are people on all kinds of diets on MFP. The diets that work for individuals are the ones that allow calories to be managed below TDEE. Some people are satiated eating high carbs and some are not.

There have been studies that indicate after 6 months or so there isn't much difference in weight loss results between low fat or high fat diets anyhow. Thankfully the body is adaptable. The beauty of MFP is the freedom to choose what works best for you.
    :)

Edited for typo
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
     A fruit salad, on the other hand, only takes 30 minutes to digest because it’s easier for the body to break down water-laden fruits and veggies.

Whoops! Better stay close to the toilet after eating that if it only takes 30 minutes!

Most of the bulk in fruit and veg is indigestible. That's the opposite of "easy to digest".

Yes I was going to mention the toilet ;) 30 minutes lol. And believe me vegetables and fruits are definitely HARD to digest.