I always have lots of calories left before bed. Im just not hungry. Is it okay?

Options

Replies

• SKristianM
    SKristianM Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're free to eat as you see fit. But how did you ever gain the weight in the first place with an paltry appetite like that?

Personally, I find that exercise suppresses appetite. I assume there are others who work the same way.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    dogemeat wrote: »
    You're free to eat as you see fit. But how did you ever gain the weight in the first place with an paltry appetite like that?

Personally, I find that exercise suppresses appetite. I assume there are others who work the same way.

Exercise makes me hungry. I know many who are the same.

Depends on the exercise. Treadmill makes me less hungry.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Well I did HIIT super-early and I'm freaking hungry.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If exercise suppressed my appetite, I'd be set. :p

I've honestly (last night) hit the treadmill thinking I can burn a couple hundred calories for a snack or a drink and, when I'm done, be happy with water.

I don't think I'm right in the head.....
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Cardio suppresses my appetite, seriously I forget to eat when I have a cardio heavy day, luckily it's not very often I do more than walk to and from the gym, school or whatever.

Strength training though, I'm always ravenous after a lifting session, especially deadlifts for some reason and will quite often chow down on 4 chicken drumsticks+salad+roll(s)+fruit salad (up to 1000 Calories altogether) once I've walked home.

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food with a food scale? If not, there's a good chance that you might be eating more than you think. A food scale is only about $10 and is a great tool that is far more accurate than eyeballing and measuring cups for beginners. Be aware that cobbler will make you sad.

Also, have you made a drastic switch in regards to what you're eating? For example, instead of a bacon cheeseburger for lunch, you're eating a shredded chicken salad or instead of drinking soda, you're drinking water? It could be that you're eating the same volume, just lower calorie things. If you're below your calorie limit, perhaps try gradually adding in some of the more calorie dense things you enjoy.

Do you occasionally have days were you eat a large amount over your set calories? Such as on weekends, holidays, visiting family, etc? I've found that when I eat a lot, I'm less hungry over the next few days, resulting in lower calorie days, which I then make up for the next time I decide to splurge.

Are these extra calories the ones that MFP says you're burning through exercise? For example, you're set at 1,240 and you burn 400, making your net 1,640 but you can only eat 1,440 so you have 200 'left over'? It's recommended to only eat back about half of your calories due to the possibility of over-estimation. By that standard, you'd be eating the 'right' amount.

All in all, yes, it's okay. However, you should be aware of why you're not hungry and how that will affect you and your goals.

For me, if I go about a week eating below my set amount of calories (without it being planned, such as in the case I made above), I end up ravenous the next week and eat all of those calories and then some because I'm so hungry-- an act which makes me annoyed with myself. So, it's healthier for me to eat those 'extra' calories whether I'm hungry or not.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Honestly? Read the stickied posts. So many of your questions are answered there.

This. Or use the search feature.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Look at your macros. If you're not getting at least 0.6g (per pound of a healthy body weight) of protein, around 0.35-0.40g (per ditto) of fats (ideally some from healthy sources), and 5 or more servings of fruit and vegetables daily, then eat more of those things.

I've seen only 1-2 people who were doing all of the above on 1200 calories. I'm not saying there aren't more out there, but it can be a challenge. If you get your solid nutrition in, and are below goal calories, and aren't hungry, that's a different matter.

Also, make sure you're not setting yourself up for longer-run bad consequences (fatigue, restrict/binge cycles, etc.) by eating too little. Weight loss is a long-term proposition.

(P.S. Some people would say 0.4g/pound of healthy body weight for protein, while others would say 1g or more per pound of ditto. Personally, I went for 0.6-0.8g . . . and I'm vegetarian.)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Advice: Take a multivitamin with iron daily.
    Approval: Not offered.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

just wanted to say do you know how hard it is to find a multivitamin with iron in it lately? not to mention if someone needs to take iron they should make sure they are deficient in it first and have a dr tell them how much to take. otherwise it could cause issues.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Opinion: Food is better.
    • There's been evidence that getting some vitamins in supplement form doesn't have the same beneficial effect as getting them from food (which is, after all, the context in which we evolved to exploit them).
    • In some cases, the supplement forms have been found not just non-beneficial, but potentially unhealthful, even at non-mega doses.
    • Furthermore, in my lifetime (I'm pretty old), quite a number of essential nutrients (vitamins and more) have been "discovered" and now have RDAs. I'll bet they'll find more.
    • I live in a University community, and have spoken with hands-on researchers in this field. They're not "take vitamins" boosters, but agreed that a non-mega multivitamin probably won't actively hurt you.
    Opinion: Get as many as possible of your nutrients from food.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

just wanted to say do you know how hard it is to find a multivitamin with iron in it lately? not to mention if someone needs to take iron they should make sure they are deficient in it first and have a dr tell them how much to take. otherwise it could cause issues.

Meat, seafood, dark leafy greens, cooked dried beans, pumpkin/squash seeds, wheat germ, tofu, baked potato, dried apricot/raisins, among others. ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I seem to have a harder time finding one without. I find the supplements containing iron to have some unappreciated side effects.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Meat, seafood, dark leafy greens, cooked dried beans, pumpkin/squash seeds, wheat germ, tofu, baked potato, dried apricot/raisins, among others. ;)

yeah I know those contain it. my iron levels are fine. my daughter is anemic but shes wont eat veggies,tofu,beans,apricots or raisins(she has a texture/smell/taste issue always has and any iron she takes messes up her gums and teeth for some reason. she was prescribed iron pills and it made her gums swell and bleed and her teeth hurt. once she stopped it stopped. but was looking for a multivitamin with iron in them and its hard as heck to find anything like that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I seem to have a harder time finding one without. I find the supplements containing iron to have some unappreciated side effects.

I have the opposite issue. I read the labels and none I can buy in the stores have iron in them,except for kids vitamins.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I have the opposite issue. I read the labels and none I can buy in the stores have iron in them,except for kids vitamins.

Interesting. Maybe it's a regional difference. Because of the issues I have with the iron in supplements, I'm pretty picky about it.